Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-10, 10:30 AM   #26
Cavs1123
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Not a bad combo either but I would go with the first one you had!
Old 07-30-10, 12:34 PM   #27
Jrob78

My personal preference is to stay away from graphite framed reels. They aren't as durable as aluminum framed reels and in my experience won't last as long. Check these out.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...143&id=0053386

Old 07-30-10, 08:33 PM   #28
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
That's a matter of opinion, and design.

I fish mostly Daiwa reel, all with either Magforce V or Magforce Z magnetic brakes. I don't get any more backlashes than on my reels with centrifugal brakes.

Also, like I said, it can depend on the design. I find Daiwa's Magforce V/Z brakes to work much better than the magnetic brakes on my Revo STX and BPS JM Signature reel (when the centrifugals are turned off).

BB
that's because if i'm not mistaken the diawa system works partially centrifugally.most magnetic brakes do not.
Old 07-31-10, 11:41 AM   #29
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
that's because if i'm not mistaken the diawa system works partially centrifugally.most magnetic brakes do not.
You are correct
Old 07-31-10, 11:54 AM   #30
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry2rs View Post
The outfit looks like a bargain to me.
Being lefthanded I strongly suggest you find a left handed reel.
Don't listen to these instant experts who graduated from Spinning reels and think that they were born to crank with their weak hand.

These guys are the same guys who are planning to reinvent the wheel next weekend...

Trust me, there is are good reasons why most of the Pro's reel with their weak hand and why generations of anglers in the past did the same.
Garry2R's
After your statement, I really see no reason to "trust you".

Quote:
YES!
I wish to change hands so I can hold the rod properly on the cast, and then switch hands so that I can hold the reel properly on the retrieve.
Garry2r's
Why? I don't understand why you think switching hands after you cast is a good idea? Can it be done...absolutely, but is it more efficient to cast right, reel left? Most people would think so.

Quote:
No!
It would not make sense to me.
In other sports people take lessons to learn the proper way of swinging the racket or club etc.

Unfortunately in fishing most young people are self taught. Having graduated from Spinning they want to reel with their left hand because they simply don't know any better.
Or could it be that it works better for them?

Bad advice is everywhere. You just proved that. Fish what you are comfortable with.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-10, 10:58 AM   #31
Garry2rs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
After your statement, I really see no reason to "trust you".

Why? I don't understand why you think switching hands after you cast is a good idea? Can it be done...absolutely, but is it more efficient to cast right, reel left? Most people would think so.

Or could it be that it works better for them?

Bad advice is everywhere. You just proved that. Fish what you are comfortable with.
Bad Advice?

Have you ever had a lesson or read a book about casting?

As a child I took lessons and I know what I'm talking about. There are books, written by champion casters, that will back up everything I have suggested!

Mark Twain once said; "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

You are entitled to your own opinion, and you can cast anyway you want. But you will probably never reach your potential, using the wrong hand and the wrong grip. You might find a way to compensate, but half-right is always half-wrong, and half-smart is still half-stupid.

Fortunately, what you do will not effect me in the least.
However, I don't think that you should not try to spread your ideas. Let the newbies get a book from the Library and learn to do it the right way. In the future they might be able to help you out...HAHAHA.
Garry2R's
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-10, 11:56 AM   #32
CamG

Quote:
Bad Advice?

Have you ever had a lesson or read a book about casting?

As a child I took lessons and I know what I'm talking about. There are books, written by champion casters, that will back up everything I have suggested!

Mark Twain once said; "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

You are entitled to your own opinion, and you can cast anyway you want. But you will probably never reach your potential, using the wrong hand and the wrong grip. You might find a way to compensate, but half-right is always half-wrong, and half-smart is still half-stupid.

Fortunately, what you do will not effect me in the least.
However, I don't think that you should not try to spread your ideas. Let the newbies get a book from the Library and learn to do it the right way. In the future they might be able to help you out...HAHAHA.
Garry2R's
Dude, you really can't be serious. When were those books published that you read and made you an instant expert? Probably before left handed baitcasting reels were even available would be my guess.

I read a couple books on how to play guitar, and took many lessons. I still can not play a lick. Does that mean I should be giving advice on how to play guitar?

Do you think Denny Brauer has done OK? Did he not reach his potential? By the way, Denny is LEFT handed. Which hand reels does he use? Oh, RIGHT handed reels.
Old 08-01-10, 01:18 PM   #33
Garry2rs

You are a hopeless fool!
I am done with you.
Old 08-01-10, 01:44 PM   #34
CamG

Quote:
You are a hopeless fool!
I am done with you.
Name calling now? Since when does that solve anything?

Couldn't argue your point anymore, so it's just easier for you to take your ball and go home. I see I had you pegged correctly.
Old 08-01-10, 02:20 PM   #35
Cavs1123

Knock it off guys!
Old 08-01-10, 02:58 PM   #36
Tavery5

Hey, guys, you both have good points, please keep in mind that this was a new member that asked for our opinions. Probably not the best way to welcome him. Maybe your conversation would be best had through PM's.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-10, 03:18 PM   #37
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs1123 View Post
Knock it off guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Hey, guys, you both have good points, please keep in mind that this was a new member that asked for our opinions. Probably not the best way to welcome him. Maybe your conversation would be best had through PM's.
Thanks. You are correct.
Old 08-01-10, 03:31 PM   #38
Garry2rs

I'm sorry that I spoke harshly.
However it is hard for me to reason with a person who refuses to except what has been established in the past.

If the basics of casting theory and science are irrelevant because they predated Cam's experience, then I suppose we must cast aside other such ancient wisdom as ...
The Archimedes Principle, 3rd century BC.
Issac Newton's Law of the Universe 1687.
Albert Einstein's 1905 Theory of Relativity.
No, I think not!
Perhaps the proper opinion was expressed by George Santayana (1863-1952)
“Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.”
Old 08-01-10, 03:39 PM   #39
CamG

Quote:
I'm sorry that I spoke harshly.
However it is hard for me to reason with a person who refuses to except what has been established in the past.

If the basics of casting theory and science are irrelevant because they predated Cam's experience, then I suppose we must cast aside other such ancient wisdom as ...
The Archimedes Principle, 3rd century BC.
Issac Newton's Law of the Universe 1687.
Albert Einstein's 1905 Theory of Relativity.
No, I think not!
Perhaps the proper opinion was expressed by George Santayana (1863-1952)
“Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.”
Your right, I'm wrong. The world used to be flat.
Old 08-01-10, 03:41 PM   #40
CamG

Just one last question for you Garry. You never did answer my question regarding Denny Brauer, and I'd like to get your take on it.

As to not hijack this anymore, please send me a PM. Thanks!

Last edited by CamG; 08-01-10 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-01-10, 11:16 PM   #41
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

fellas..........like said before, PRIVATE MESSAGE is the place for this. not in the open.
Old 08-02-10, 08:53 AM   #42
walkeraviator

Here is my take. I am right handed and was taught to cast right handed then retrieve after switching teh rod to the left hand and using the right hand to reel... i think this is simply because this is what was given me to learn with. However thanks to the rule of Primacy, once it is in your head one way it is hard to change it to another way....

with that said I can only see two instances where this really hurts me... and only in a very slight manner... sinking topwaters like frogs and buzzbaits where it would be nice to reel as soon as it hits teh water... i have compensated by learning to actually switch hands while the bait is still airborn

the other instance... the one where it really does hurt my fishing tactics is pitching or flippin... this is just one area where i know i lose fish because my rod is in teh wrong hand when it hits teh water... i have considered buying a left hand reel just for this very situation and hopin i can get the muscle memory to use this left hand approach...

with all of that said and going back to the OP... that combo looks pretty nice man. The best way to know if it is for you is to hold it... i believe there is a chemistry when you hold a rod and reel... just like when you find a woman...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 09:37 AM   #43
Garry2rs

[QUOTE=walkeraviator;308991]Here is my take. I am right handed and was taught to cast right handed then retrieve after switching teh rod to the left hand and using the right hand to reel... i think this is simply because this is what was given me to learn with. However thanks to the rule of Primacy, once it is in your head one way it is hard to change it to another way....

with that said I can only see two instances where this really hurts me... and only in a very slight manner... sinking topwaters like frogs and buzzbaits where it would be nice to reel as soon as it hits teh water... i have compensated by learning to actually switch hands while the bait is still airborn

the other instance... the one where it really does hurt my fishing tactics is pitching or flippin... this is just one area where i know i lose fish because my rod is in teh wrong hand when it hits teh water... i have considered buying a left hand reel just for this very situation and hopin i can get the muscle memory to use this left hand approach...

I almost always change hands while the bait is in the air.
I do have a left handed reel for pitching and I have also a couple of reels with Flippin' switches.

The switches take some getting used to and aren't much better than using your thumb to jam the spool...

The left hand reel works okay, but if I pitch the bait was in my left hand, if I flip the line was in my left hand most of the time. If the fish hits instantly, I have to find the reel handle before I can put the reel in gear anyway...This isn't much of an improvement on just jamming the spool with my thumb, and setting the hook, as I do on right hand reels.

I have known several anglers who switched, to left hand reels. They all looked awkward casting left and only one of the guys that switched stayed with the south-side reel over the long haul.

I also know at least two guys who started with lefties...Both are happy with their choice, but neither will ever be great casters, because they hold the rod level during the cast, with the reel on top of the rod, instead of turning their wrist to get better flex. On the other hand they are happy and that's what counts.
Old 08-02-10, 09:43 AM   #44
Jrob78

How does changing what side the handle is on impact casting? Going to a left hand retrieve doesn't change your cast at all, it just makes your retrieve start up quicker, with less adjustment. You would still cast, pitch or flip with your right hand, just like always.
Old 08-02-10, 07:05 PM   #45
dodgeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
How does changing what side the handle is on impact casting? Going to a left hand retrieve doesn't change your cast at all, it just makes your retrieve start up quicker, with less adjustment. You would still cast, pitch or flip with your right hand, just like always.
Some of us who learned on right handed reels cannot reel a baitcaster with our left hands.the handle is above the rod and has a smaller circle than a spinning reel where the handle is below the rod and makes a bigger circle.this makes reeling feel uncoordinated.we can also switch hands and it has no ill effect.it's done so fast it's not funny.also we can control the lure much more precisely reeling with our more coordinated hand.what it comes down to is what feels right.there is no right or wrong.
Old 08-02-10, 07:07 PM   #46
dodgeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
My personal preference is to stay away from graphite framed reels. They aren't as durable as aluminum framed reels and in my experience won't last as long. Check these out.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...143&id=0053386

absolutely %100 on the money !!!
Old 08-09-10, 12:35 PM   #47
BassEngineer
BassFishin.Com Member

I use a left baitcaster because...I hate switching hands....AND I don't switch hands with my spinning reel...so why should I with my baicaster?
BassEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 01:40 PM   #48
Solidbad
BassFishin.Com Member

Use whatever feels comfortable, it doesn't matter too much as long as you're confident with it. Do what works for you, there's no right or wrong way to do it
Solidbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 10:05 PM   #49
coolbreeze
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
Some of us who learned on right handed reels cannot reel a baitcaster with our left hands.the handle is above the rod and has a smaller circle than a spinning reel where the handle is below the rod and makes a bigger circle.this makes reeling feel uncoordinated.we can also switch hands and it has no ill effect.it's done so fast it's not funny.also we can control the lure much more precisely reeling with our more coordinated hand.what it comes down to is what feels right.there is no right or wrong.
I agree. I am right handed . Have two right handed reels and one left. I feel more co ordinated cranking with the right hand and I have no problem whatsoever with pole control worked with the left hand. In fact I never even thought about it. That being said I do think about being a bit uncoordinated with the left hand cranking. The other thing for me it seems like my set up is more balanced when casting with the right hand reel. This may be mental but when I lift my forearm to cast I do not like to see the handle. Just seems more bulky to me. I think muscle memory does come into play. I have noticed the more I use the left hand crank especially if Im working the bait for a period of time the feeling becomes more natural. Sort of glad I now have a left handed real to mix it up a bit ex spinner baits and pitching. My next reel will be right handed. Hopefully you will have a chance to test both to see what you are more comfortable with
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.