Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-07, 09:07 PM   #1
BPACA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Flourocarbon....

anybody use flourocarbon on a regular basis....looking for a recommendation .....got to get some soon
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-07, 09:17 PM   #2
BPACA

I've heard Gamma is pretty good?
Old 07-02-07, 09:57 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

don't start using it it is a waste of time..
Old 07-02-07, 11:10 PM   #4
Rebbasser

I've been happy with Seguar and have heard good things about BPS fluoro. Stay away from Vanish.
Old 07-03-07, 12:17 AM   #5
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Avoid Vanish at all costs from what I hear from people I know that tried it. Up here in gin clear lakes it seems to help. I like P-Line Florocarbon and BPS floro. Or, my favorite for suppleness and castability is P-Line Halo. $$$ butworth it IMO.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 02:36 AM   #6
islandbass

SeaGuar Invizx. No need to lool any further. Done deal.

FC in the right hands is deadly. Just ask all the smallies I've nailed this season.
Old 07-03-07, 03:13 AM   #7
BPACA

thanx for the replies...I'm newer to floro.....just don't use it that much because of costs...but for my tournaments I like to use it....It does have some good properties....
Old 07-03-07, 06:01 AM   #8
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPACA View Post
thanx for the replies...I'm newer to floro.....just don't use it that much because of costs...but for my tournaments I like to use it....It does have some good properties....
Though I am not in the advice business I will relate my own experience and discovery re low-visibility line.
Perhaps you could try P-Line FloroClear (Correct spelling...no "U".) This is a co-filament line that offers reduced visibility, better behavior than most fluoros, and costs far less than pure fluoro. I use it for all sub-surface applications (Cranks, Traps, SOME softies, Jerk Baits, etc.) other than those for which I use super-braids.
FloroClear sinks almost as readily as pure fluoro so it's not suitable for most topwater applications save, perhaps, for "constant motion" lures such as toads and buzz baits. For topwater one should generally use a regular mono, one with high abrasion resistance, BTW, such as P-line CXX.
To be candid, the only times I make use of pure fluoro is when I fish soft plastics, jigs, or other "slow" lures on braid. In those instances I employ a fluoro leader, always P-Line Fluorocarbon Leader (not regular flouro) which is sold in 25 meter spools. It's a tad pricey but well worth it.
I fish buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbaits, toads, spinnerbaits, and SPRO Frogs on braid with NO leader since the environment and/or speed of retrieve makes visibility less of a factor.

Enjoy,

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 06:42 AM   #9
BPACA

BUZZZZBAITS...lol...

We'll I'm gonna be fishin mainly jigs and soft plastics of the variety...I'll have two rods with mono on them for cranks or topwater in the morning....
Old 07-03-07, 07:48 AM   #10
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

i use almost exclusively fluro very happy with the results.
Old 07-03-07, 09:18 AM   #11
patchino22

I am reading all this negativity towards Vanish....why? I mainly fish plastics and use Vanish. I have gone back and forth between Vanish and P-Line Flouroclear and I like the Vanish a lot more. I have had no problems with it and I have landed some hogs with it. Please explain why I should avoid it.
patchino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 10:02 AM   #12
Rebbasser

Pachino-my experience with Vanish was it was extremely stiff and broke real easily. In all fairness, though, it was when I ws first using fluoro so there was a learning curve going on.
Old 07-03-07, 10:16 AM   #13
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

it was the first fluro i used and i hated it so much i took it off my reels after one outing and vowed to not use flurocarbon again. but then i started reading that it was what was winning most of the pro tournaments so i started using bass pro flurocarbon line and i love it p line flurocoarbon is awesome but fluroclear is not. if you can afford it sunline makes the best flurocarbon. the pro i know gave me some. i just wish i could afford to buy more.

Last edited by bassthumb32; 07-03-07 at 01:55 PM.
bassthumb32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 01:30 PM   #14
skeeter944

I know that I am gonna get hit for this, but I love Berkley Vanish Transition. It is a very good line IMO, I use 20,17,14, and 8lb tests. It rocks for Soft Plastics and Jigs. I have used this line for about 8 months now and I have never had a fish breakoff. I fish atleast 5 days a week also.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 01:54 PM   #15
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

I haven't used any other fluorocarbon lines other than Vanish so far, but I am very happy with it.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 04:13 PM   #16
hackattack

vanish SUCKS!
I love maxima flurocarbon and vicious is good also.

mostly vanish sucks because the very first time I used it I broke off a fish over 6 lbs. right in front of me, I watched it eat my senko...grrr...
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 04:45 PM   #17
patchino22

Thanks for an honest answer Reb. From reading everyones post, I get the impression that it really depends on the fisherman and what they like......and the experiences they have had. I hope everyone has a GREAT 4th of July and is able to get a line wet!
patchino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 05:33 PM   #18
zooker

let me explain my above statement.

i have used vanish,p-line halo,p-line evolution,bps floro i liked NONE of it.. the halo it self i lost over $30 worth the lures on it.. evolution i had break 4 times in a row-it don't really break it shatters- but as i was using floating cranks i did not lose any baits.. i tried vanish -eww ick!!- i chunked it after one day. the bps line was ok at first but it got real icky the longer i used it.. infact it put every reel i had it on out of comission because of it would ball up a huge backlash after about a month of use..

the only floro i have used i actually liked was p-lines floro clear.kinda the reason i got the halo and evolution.. oh btw i used 17 pound evolution on lake james i could see the line the fish could see the line -i changed reels- the 8 pound floro clear was invizable..

zooker
Old 07-03-07, 06:04 PM   #19
Redneck4woodmont
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Redneck4woodmont

so let me get this straight, I need to use mono for topwater stuff, braid or superline for heavy cover, and flouro for everything else? also i heard that berkley's fireline is pretty good, is this true??
Old 07-03-07, 06:45 PM   #20
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

I use braid for everything. most of the places i fish dont have clear water so the visibility factor really doesnt come in play. and even in clear water[for florida standards] i use braid, i really dont get that technical into fishing, i'm sure there are some stats out there that prove visibilty is a factor, but honestly i dont care. braid never tangles, rarely breaks, and is just a good line to use wherever IMO. And also a big factor here is the number of set ups[rod/reel] you ahve... if you ahve a few, then rigging each with different line is easy, but in my case i only have 3, i mainly use 1, so the whole different types of line deal i dont bother with. but once again if you are fishing clearer waters, or you feel more comfortable with monos and flouros, then deffinitely go for it. i would if i had more set ups... but i dont so i stick to one line, braid.
Old 07-03-07, 08:01 PM   #21
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

All the vets are right, it's a waste of money.
Old 07-03-07, 08:40 PM   #22
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchino22 View Post
I get the impression that it really depends on the fisherman and what they like......and the experiences they have had.

He can be taught rotflmao. Everyone believes in different stuff. USE WHAT YOU LIKE, and to He!! with what eveyone else likes.

Lizards
Old 07-03-07, 11:04 PM   #23
WIUbassin

really using a flouro leader is a great way to go, you can still get the setting strength and easy casting of braid with the invisibility of the flouro, just practice your blood knots and really test em, sometimes it can be tough to connect the flouro to the braid
Old 07-04-07, 05:13 AM   #24
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassthumb32 View Post
i use almost exclusively fluro very happy with the results.
If you like fluro you'll LOVE fluoro!
Naturally, I prefer FLYRO!

FlyRo(d)
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-07, 06:49 PM   #25
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Krueger, Jr. View Post
All the vets are right, it's a waste of money.

patty-o furniture is all over it..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.