Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-15-10, 02:22 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Surface bait season

Just curious as to what others think of as the start of the surface lure bite? Around here, I start throwing surface lures once the spawn has begun. Thats late May through mid June around here, give or take a week or so. But I do have a very good catch rate right after ice out by jerkin a floating Rattlin Rouge on the surface. I know most folks throw a suspending jerk bait in early spring, and I do as well. But the floating jerkbaits will catch bass then too!

Secondly, do you have different choices of surface baits you use depending on the season and weather conditions? Calm water compared to choppy weather? Before sun up, while it's still dark, I mainly use a Jitterbug. After the sun starts to brighten the water, I'll switch to a spook bait if there is wind and some wave action. If it's still fairly calm, I'll choose a surface bait that is more subtle, like Heddon Baby Torpedo, floating jerbaits, or a popper. And of course, frog baits around floating vegitation. Durring the heat of summer, I'll usually only use surface baits very early in the morning, or after sun down. I'll also work a surface bait in summer in dense shade. Fall fishing with surface baits is a funny time of year for me, as there are other presentations I prefer to use in the fall rather than surface baits. But they will still work, depending on how far into the fall you get before ice up. One thing I do in the fall when I use surface baits is to stick to the larger baits which I think more closely mimic the size of the prey the bass are chasing late in the year. When fall hits and water temps start dropping daily, the bass IMO will start looking for larger meals to fatten up. Also, the small fry have had months to grow and mature. Thus choosing a larger profile surface bait to "match the hatch".
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 07:24 PM   #2
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have much more confidence in topwaters when the water temps are in the mid-50s or higher. They are my favorite baits and I fish them a lot, maybe more than I should. There's no time of day when I don't fish them. I've had many quality bass hit them under bluebird skies in midsummer.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 07:40 PM   #3
basstastic
BassFishin.Com Member

Keith i usually start throwing buzzbaits during pre-spawn. I've been doing well the last couple of times out with rat-l-traps. The catch rate has gone up everytime i go out. Tomorrow i'll be throwing a buzzbait and let ya know what the fish think.
basstastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-10, 11:34 PM   #4
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

Haven't hit one this year yet, but usually pre spawn I'm a early morning buzzbait thrower. Then merge into the popper. If there's pads, I throw a worm across the pads and slowly reel across the top of those. Then as the day progresses just go a little deeper, a little deeper.

As the spawn progresses and they get on the bed, start looking for beds, identified as rock spots or sandy spots near the shore, in shallow water. fishing whatever though those will ususally catch fish, cause the males will attack whatevers near. Catching the hawgs has a trick

Post spawn, its back to searching through the lake/pond to where you belive they are.. dont know much about that much. i've always fished the same post as pre spawn..
Old 03-18-10, 12:48 AM   #5
basstastic
BassFishin.Com Member

Nah it's still to cold around here. I through the buzzbait on two different ponds that i had caught fish in this year with no luck.
Old 03-18-10, 10:40 AM   #6
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

In my stretch of NW FL at most of the lakes within an hour of here, they do not bother coming to the top until the water is at least upper 60s to low 70s, and they only hit topwater at dawn and dusk.

Right now most of the lakes/ponds have water temps in the low to mid 50s here.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-10, 11:37 AM   #7
CamG

I'll start throwing buzzbaits as soon as I see the 50 degree mark, and throughout the rest of the year. However I don't throw it much if there isn't a little cloud cover.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-10, 04:14 PM   #8
bassinbob

I'll try them as early as Feb if there has been 4 or 5 days of nice weather. It really doesn't seem to heat up here though until May or June.
Old 03-18-10, 04:38 PM   #9
cassidyta

My climate is a little different than most everyone elses, I don't have a time where I won't throw them. From Nov-Feb I only throw them on sunny days and toss them in the shallows.
Old 03-19-10, 04:32 PM   #10
3dkicker

I had a fish jump out of the water a couple years ago to get my crankbait and the water temp was 52 degrees. I guess you could call that topwater. I really don't start catching them on topwater until the water gets into the 60's.
Old 03-19-10, 10:18 PM   #11
Cavs1123

I'd say June is when the season for topwaters start.
Old 03-20-10, 03:30 PM   #12
Garry2rs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

During the summer in Ontario Canada I have good luck with solid body toads/frogs in thick surface weeds all day long. Other surface baits follow the early and late in the day patterns described already by others.
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 03:28 PM   #13
BassAddict

Upper 50's is time for topwaters. I like a buzzbait personally. A buddy of mine caught 2 on a Spro Popping frog yesterday in a pond. One was 4 lbs the other close to 8. Water temps are in the upper 50's right now around here. Don't be afraid to throw topwater in the middle of the day with the sun out... especially when fishing around pads or grass... they will come up and eat a bait off the surface!
Old 04-16-10, 08:44 PM   #14
lilmule

Anywhere above 50 better at upper fifties,on buzzbaits,those as well as hard best morning or eveing or cloudy.Opposite with frogs over thick veggies,80 f water all day long,best bite is around 12 noon-2pm.Using nothing but horny toads backed with a floater can cull three limits or have on better days.
Topped grass is good lilly pads are even better.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-10, 09:45 AM   #15
Bassboss

Early morning here! Watter temps have to be in th 60's. I like throwing poppers, and zarra puppies above the growing grass! Great untill the grass starts matting. Than I like buzzbaits better. Than in the summer.. one word FROG!
Old 04-17-10, 05:29 PM   #16
Arkie Bass Buster
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm an early morning or overcast all day kind of guy when it comes to top waters. Water temp needs to be at least 60 degrees before I start throwing them though. Big chug bug fan. Caught 32 (between two of us) last weekend on one as matter of fact!!
Arkie Bass Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-10, 09:24 PM   #17
landingcrew
BassFishin.Com Member

365 24/7 even in the dead of winter, if you roll a floating minnow bait like a jerk bait with long pauses you would be surprised how effective it can be in making lethargic bass in january come to the surface. but i would throw them starting the pre spawn when the bass start to feed and hold on.
landingcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-10, 09:26 PM   #18
bamabassman

Remember that you can use topwater baits in the evening and late evening too.
Old 04-19-10, 10:06 PM   #19
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
Thats for sure Bama! Evening time has often been my best topwater bite. And I'll catch bass all night long on a Jitterbug. By the way lilmule, I love that photo of the lilly pad field. Dang if that don't make me want to head out to the lake right now!!!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 06:11 PM   #20
Arkie Bass Buster
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
I know thats right. I forgot about the evenings too.
Arkie Bass Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 09:55 PM   #21
bamabassman

I will always TRY to remember to tie on a topwater bait and use before i load up in the evening. Pop-r's, zara spooks, devil horse, hula popper and buzzbaits as well as frogs.
Old 04-23-10, 09:58 AM   #22
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Bama's post makes a good point: there is a variety of surface bait actions and they all have their place. I throw something on the surface every time I am out, no matter what time of year (in Michigan, for me that means early May to mid October) or time of day. My starting bait is based on the combination of conditions: Slow when water is cold, faster as water heats up. Calm water = finesse, rough water = fuss. Day = light color, early AM/evening/night = dark. Modify throughout the day as conditions and fish dictate.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 03:53 PM   #23
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

For the most part, I don't start throwin frogs until the lilys are up. Other than that, I pretty much only throw Jitterbugs as far as topwater baits go. I usually don't pull them out until I start seeing surface strikes.
Old 04-23-10, 04:56 PM   #24
henslayer49
BassFishin.Com Member

June in Quebec, Open water Smallmouth... Lucky Craft Sammy 100's if it's calm and flat. O.M.G.! If it's a bit windy with a chop on the water, I move up to the Sammy 125.
You can cover SO MUCH water with this bait. It's nothing more than a Spook on steroids as far as I'm concerned. The Colors and finish of Lucky Craft Baits are unmatched. Only one drawback: Expensive. I loose a few to those damn Northern Pike every time I go but what the heck. It's only money, right? Don't forget NOT to use Florocarbon when topwater fishing because it sinks. Regular Mono is best. Pick your favorite brand and go. Early Morning Bite is good, then I go into the lodge for a big breakfast and talk to all the other Guy's who are just gettin out of their beds..! LOL!
DUDE, you just missed the best action of the entire day! I'll get enough sleep when I'm DEAD. That's what my buddy in Arkansas tells me when he wakes me up at 3:00a.m to go Duck Hunting. DAMN, now that's a long day.
henslayer49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 07:27 PM   #25
basstastic
BassFishin.Com Member

The topwater bite is on in my area I caught 8 in about 2 hrs on a buzzbait. Thought I would give ya an update keith.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.