Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-25-07, 11:26 PM   #1
BPACA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Askin for a back seat?

Okay say you go to a lake.....your on the bank....yah see someone launching a boat and there going to fish....do yah think it would be okay to ask someone for a backseat to fish with em for like 10 dollars or something? Anyone who has a boat have this happen to them? I want to get out on these lakes but I don't have a boat?
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-07, 12:13 AM   #2
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

lol deff not a good idea but it could work if you talked to the right person
BassMoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-07, 12:19 AM   #3
DadofJolly
BassFishin.Com Member

You never know Man. I used to have to fish by myself alot. Back then there were plenty of days when I would have welcomed some company. As long as they guy didn't look like Charles Manson or anything, I would probably say sure. Of course it would be hard to come up with a reasonable excuse other than "I don't know you and I don't want to know you" on the spot like that. But you never know Man - some guys are not fishing by themselves because they want to.

Good luck.
Old 01-26-07, 06:20 AM   #4
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have seen guys get ready to launch their bass boat by themselves and helped them while I was waiting to launch and was offered to fish with them several different times, or at least get help launching my boat. A few times I did leave my boat at the launch and fished with them instead.I have met some good friends by taking the initial step to help and meet new people. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-07, 04:55 PM   #5
Hef

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

I've done the same thing PNJ.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-07, 05:12 PM   #6
bassintxlady

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

a lasting friendship begins with a howdy doo......i say go for it....you have nothing to loose and everything to gain.....
Old 01-26-07, 05:18 PM   #7
bassbooger

This is sort of a touchy subject. Sure, you just want to get out on the water in a boat, but with all the crazy people running around nowadays it is hard to find a complete stranger that will just let you in their boat. Even if you do offer them 10 bucks or so for gas.

If you spend alot of time at the dock fishing around, then you will see the same guys launching all the time, just start up conversations with them and then one day just ask. Like they always say, it never hurts to ask. Heck, you never know, if they get to know you good enough they may ask you before you ask them.

Good luck with it and let us know how it goes if you decide to do it.
Old 01-26-07, 05:34 PM   #8
CMorg

I was fishin this secluded state FWA site on the river one day last november , caught a few spotted bass , I was the only one there. These guys pulled up and launched a new boat and asked what I had been catching the bass on , I told them and talked a bit , then they asked me if I wanted to go with them in the boat , I declined because I didnt know them , however I dont think they were bad people....
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-07, 06:26 PM   #9
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

booger is right this is a touchy subject..i know of one certain guy that is ANAL toward ANYBODY in his boat..-seen him make a guy #1 leave his shoes at the launch an#2 made him wipe the rod butts off before they were put in his boat and i am NOT joking-

best thing to do is like pnj stated show up with a few rods at the launch. get to talking to these guys maybe just maybe you can get a ride. find some one who you know that fishes.. start here..

$10 aint going to get ya very far try $20-never had any one object to $20- several have refused it. but ALWAYS offer it you will make more friends than you know...being polite goes along way. if in dout about doing some thing ASK..

zooker
Old 01-26-07, 08:03 PM   #10
flbassman

Lot of weird people out there today, very few of them bass fish. I think if you're cautious and polite, you might get a shot. Jolly's dad, welcome aboard! Good to see ya here....
Old 01-26-07, 09:05 PM   #11
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadofJolly View Post
As long as they guy didn't look like Charles Manson or anything,

jollys dad i resemble that remark..

zooker
Old 01-26-07, 10:30 PM   #12
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

i have taken quite a few strangers out fishing.most have offered to help me launch my boat.usually i fish alone and welcome company.
i have had people say"you're fishing alone ,take me with you."that is not the way to ask.when they ask like that i usually tell them i only have one pfd on board(i usually carry 3 or 4 pfds).i have had people ask in a polite way.they got a real good shot at going.the helpful ones will always be asked to join me.i won't take kids unless they are with an adult.
be polite,try to be helpful and you stand a chance of getting the empty seat.also,look for older boats that don't look like a prima donna is operating.like zooker said some new boat owners can be real bast**ds and a lot of them think they are better than you just because they have a new boat.those kinds of guys you don't even want to fish with because it will not be fun...COURTESY is the key word.
Old 01-26-07, 11:46 PM   #13
CMorg

How about this approach , everytime you go fishing just stick to the shore and put 20.00 in an envelope and before you know it , you'll have your own boat !!
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-07, 07:38 PM   #14
hit&miss
BassFishin.Com Member

Just ask if they want some company, don't offer money. Some people would be offended. If you go, then offer afterwards. You don't need to pay for all of the trip, they were going anyway whether you went or not. At least that is my experience.
hit&miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-07, 02:58 PM   #15
HOG Ranger

I had a complete stranger ask if he could tag along with me last year. I didn't mind and it turned out to be a nice day on the water. I fish by myself most of the time and it was a nice change.

If you do get invited, offer to help with gas (most will probably say keep your money) and by all means treat his boat with respect as if it was your own.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-07, 06:02 PM   #16
JB

you can meet some really nice fisherman out there, I always feel bad if I'm in a buddy boat and a treblehook gets stuck in the carpet, or other things that you can't help but happen...somethings you can avoid is not use
lure scents over the boat, try to apply over the water so the goo wont stain the carpet or paint...other things are trying to avoid hitting the big motor with you're lures on the back swing, or tying up your line in their
trolling motor.
Falling on rough seas is easy to do in a bass boat, try to avoid if possible the windshield, they are easy to crack if you fall on them.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-07, 09:19 AM   #17
Mac1

I like to pack a few extra modified worms when shore fishing near the ramp. I cut the heads off of lizards and weld them onto Culprit worms making small snakes. When I see someone coming in or going out, I give them a couple to try.....letting them know I fish them weightless and bring them in slowly on top.....texposed on a 2/0 worm hook.

Here's the point, if you have a little something to offer, it leads to conversation. If you don't get an invite, they are more willing to share information about lures and spots on the lake to try. Sometimes it's a good ice breaker and gives you a moment to see what kind of folks they are like.
Other times, you can get a ride for a fine day of fishing. A dozen worms will get you a lot of good conversation at times, and the oppertunity to fish at others.

A couple of fellows sat and talked for a half hour or so....and were willing to share the info on a couple nice bass spots. Others weren't so specific, but let you know when they were in the tops of submerged trees, on the flats, etc.

Even though they don't take you out, they are glad to see you later at the ramp, and there is still a chance they will give you even more info.
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-07, 09:37 AM   #18
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

They say a closed mouth doesn't get fed.

Offering ten bucks sounds like a good idea, they'd probably realize how bad you want to go, and not ask for the money.
Old 01-29-07, 07:29 PM   #19
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Krueger, Jr. View Post
They say a closed mouth doesn't get fed.
wrong it is the closed mouth that tells no secerts..

zooker
Old 01-29-07, 08:05 PM   #20
BPACA

Only thing I think about is if I run into the wrong person if yah know what I mean...lol.
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-07, 08:29 PM   #21
flbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPACA View Post
Only thing I think about is if I run into the wrong person if yah know what I mean...lol.
Carry a large knife on your belt. And don't go with creepy lookin people. Im thinking you're over 18 right? B/c if not, I wouldn't suggest it, mostly because of liability issues.
Old 01-29-07, 08:56 PM   #22
JB

a good way to sort through a good prospect of a fishing buddy is to watch what they have tied on. do they look like the selection of lures you had in mind that day?
Also, its a great way to find new spots, I dont know how many times I 'd go with a new guy and we 'd fish a spot that I had driven by dozens of times .
Old 01-30-07, 02:22 PM   #23
skeeter944

jb,your avatar is hilarious!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-07, 07:48 PM   #24
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

roflmao!!!!!!
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-07, 08:29 PM   #25
JB

got mike?................

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.