Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 10-02-11, 01:25 PM   #1
Misterg
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Pumping Rain Out

I am planning on buying a Tracker 185 WT soon. If you are parked at a camp and it rains overnight will a pump kick on and begin to pump out the rain in the boat or does a person have to go out and turn the pump on. The dealer said it came with a sump pump...still new at this boating lingo and wonder if that means it will automatically come and do the pumping out.
Misterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-11, 01:40 PM   #2
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The sump pump in a boat is called the bilge pump. Some bilge pumps have an aout on feature that is activated by a float. Most are not auto and have to be turned on by a switch. All aers of the boat are designed to drain water towards to back and into the bilge area. At the rear of the boat, under the motor, you will have a bilge drain with a plug. You should remove that plug every time you pull the boat out of the lake, Park the boat where the rear is lowere than the front and if it does rain, the water will just run out the drain. Don't forget to put the drain plug back in before you launch the boat. The bilge pump is for on the water draining. Water can come over the sides or rear from waves or when you shut it down fast it can sometimes wash up over the rear. Boats can also seem to get water in them from nowhere, it just shows up. Flip the switch on a few times a day to pump out any water that got in.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-11, 02:02 PM   #3
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterg View Post
I am planning on buying a Tracker 185 WT soon. If you are parked at a camp and it rains overnight will a pump kick on and begin to pump out the rain in the boat or does a person have to go out and turn the pump on. The dealer said it came with a sump pump...still new at this boating lingo and wonder if that means he will automatically come and do the pumping out.
Hey MR G Yes someone from the dealership will come to your campsite and sump out all the water while you're asleep and if you buy the extended warranty he will also leave a fresh pot of coffee.
Old 10-02-11, 03:27 PM   #4
lilmule

Most likly a switch labeled bilge on control panel,meaning you turn on and remember to turn off,some have an auto float switch installed then you do nothing unless it stops working,other than keep battery charged which it tends to run down slowly.
And should anyone from a dealership travel and mess with your boat while sleeping then make coffee I bet its decaf.
Thats another reason most of us park with the plug out,and have to remember to put it in prior to it getting wet,located on transom at bottom ,just in front of the motor.As it rains it runs out of the unplugged hole.
To get a bit more familiar with boating go out a few times with some one else,watch what they do,meanwhile get a book on boating or take a class,in some states its req,and really should be.Its a moving vehicle on the water with its own handling qualities .

Last edited by lilmule; 10-02-11 at 03:33 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-11, 06:09 PM   #5
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaing View Post
that is great that a dealership saleman will go that length...i like my coffee with a lot of cream and about two teaspoons of sugar. I will make sure when i close the deal i have those arrangments made.
Thanks for the relpy
hey what can i say..times are tough! Especially in the boat world. Oh and by the way...i couldn't help but notice that sometime between 1:25 and 5:45 you went from merely sir all the way to captain!!!!!way to hustle, must have been some sort of battlefield promotion! By tuesday i fully expect you to log in as admiral g.
Old 10-02-11, 07:39 PM   #6
lilmule

Regardless of how many times youve been reminded to make sure to put the plug in prior to launching you actually will launch with out it in one day,be quick about getting it back on trailer as all are not level floation.Thus why we all or most of us do it themselves no help needed,get help forget something like plug????or still strapped to trailer.
Old 10-02-11, 08:26 PM   #7
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

mule is right..never fails. one day we ALL forget to put the plug back in. jsut a part of fishing. lol.
Old 10-03-11, 08:35 AM   #8
lilmule

Regardless its the captains fault if plug is not in,when launched or batteries are dead or low because of a float switch.Get insurance and dont go down with the ship.
Ps never bring bananas on board.And dont call her the SS Minnow thats taken.
Along with the Pearl,fella named Jack has that one.
Think you misread that info,meaning one must join both,each a separate account ,or something along those lines been a awhile since I joined.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.