Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-31-04, 08:34 AM   #1
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181
Default A Good Post Worth Reading....Mac

Go to www.nybass.com and then on to the forums. Open the Tackle and Fishing Tactics message board and read the post entitled "The Color Ranking" posted by "bearpaw".

Just thought you might like to read.

I've ordered soft plastics (great quality) from Bearpaw, but the post has nothing to do with advertising.

Good fishing, Mac
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-04, 10:33 AM   #2
uk03
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to uk03
Default Re: A Good Post Worth Reading....Mac

An interesting (and long) post!
uk03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-04, 10:45 AM   #3
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

very good post

-PB
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-04, 08:24 AM   #4
bassbum
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassbum

Mac, that was a good post and thanks for the site also.

Sandra
bassbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-04, 08:49 AM   #5
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Thanks Mac

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-04, 02:35 PM   #6
davew

[quote author=Mac10 link=board=news;num=1093952097;start=0#0 date=08/31/04 at 07:34:56]Go to www.nybass.com and then on to the forums. Â*Open the Tackle and Fishing Tactics message board and read the post entitled "The Color Ranking" posted by "bearpaw". Â*

Just thought you might like to read.

I've ordered soft plastics (great quality) from Bearpaw, but the post has nothing to do with advertising. Â*

Good fishing, Mac[/quote]

Went Fishing with bearpaw last weekend what a blast

Old 09-01-04, 08:01 PM   #7
bassguy2004

Good read. Informative.
Old 09-01-04, 09:39 PM   #8
DaHorns73
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to DaHorns73

Thanks Mac, that was some good reading info.
DaHorns73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-04, 10:31 AM   #9
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Slayem9

I have to agree with one of the replies:
Quote:
most times its just putting the bait in the right place and not even the color, size, weight or anything else that provokes the strike...Its just being in the right place at the right time...The bass dont count the appendages or look at the symmetry or color or the size of the bait...A lot of times, they just react to the opportunity presented to them...
Recently I've gone out and tested many hybrid lures I've made up from worm and grub parts to create different profiles, sizes and actions. Most have produced either in open water - mid depth or near cover. None look natural and sizes range from 2" - 5" , all are rigged on 1/16-1/8 oz jigheads. Â*

All have caught different species, from 5" perch to 3lb bass and a load of crappie. The size of the forage for this time of year is small and are of multispecies ranging from minnows to newborn catfish, sunfish and small bass. The color range of the baits used were chartruese, pink, black, lime green, pumpkin, laminates, combos of metal flakes or in other words- unnatural. The water color is green and lure visibility only down 2'.

Beyond using soft plastics, hand tied jigs were used in a variety or colors, materials and sizes. Deer hair and flash produced equally to soft plastic grubs. Silver flash produced consistently, as did irridescent flash with no deer hair.

All the above demonstrate that color and size may have been important, but not exclusive enough to only be restrictive to certain match rules. None used scent or salt in any form and were smacked around with gusto!

As I relayed last year, my opinion is that size, action, profile, color and weight are the most important aspects of a lure that, when combined in any one of a Â*huge number ofÂ*lures, will catch many species on a given day, once the strike zone is hit. Barring that, all else is conjecture and hype to sell baits or write articles in Bassmaster magazine, with the exception of a Â*recent article on how to trigger strikes by using various presentations to impart unusual actions and by employing shocking, florescent colors.

I've been using too many lure profiles, colors and actions to go back to cliche-type reasons fish hit lures. Freshwater fish are very low on the brain power scale, probably just above a rock, and many triggers have been artifically produced since time began, to initiate the strike.

Sam
Slayem9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.