Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-04-05, 09:27 PM   #1
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Awesome-DoubleDigits

What a friggin night!
I think I went over the 10 or 11 figure tonight, bass catching that is...
The front was just comming in and little to no sprinkles or wind, figured tonight was the night, the fishing calendar had EXCELLANT on it lmao, and it WAS!

I started out with a tiny buzzbait that had plenty of weight, but for some reason the blade wouldn't stay on top, so after about 3 cast with that, I sat back in the seat and opened up the ol tackle box with spinnerbaits and buzzbaits in it, and got out the only regular size buzzbait I have left ( I really need to stock up on blades and buzzers )
Got it tied on, *heres the amazing part* ..and threw to the brushpiles on the dam, and I swear to god this hawg wallers up in the air about 2 ft and nails my buzzbait before it even got wet!
I got it in after a great fight, put it one the scales and it went 3.3 lbs, nice for me up here in Ohio...
Now get this, the hook wasn't on the lip, it wasn't in the gullet, or tongue,
that bass had grabbed it in mid air and my hook was under her gillplate on the inside,
The buzzbait was in her mouth all the way, with the hook wayyy back there past the rows of cartlidge that they move their gills with.
Now that I look back on it, I am glad I kept alot of pressure on her while fighting her, cus the barb wasn't in her skin or lip at all, the U part of the hook was wedged againt the side of the gillplate.
I also had never noticed the dif. in the sharpness of the lips that PNJ had stated, how that changes in sharpness and makes his game plan vary.
The bass tonight all had very sharp bumps on the lips and were red also..
After that tremendous hit I switched to the fluke and proably caught about 5 on it, then took out the tiki stick (motor oil) they call it watermelon red flake lol
and the dern fish would hit it and NOT LET GO...
I let one after another run with it and finally set the hook, the hook was in the top of the gullet but no harm, I usually hate to let a fish go that long, but was amazed at how they love that flavor.
One after another took the tiki
My seconded biggest bass took it and finally jumped way up to throw it , I set the hook on her in the air and got lucky.
The ol fishing calender said best fishing today, and ALL WEEK, so get out there!
now that I think about it,,maybe i had over 13 .......... hmmmmmmm..lol
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 09:37 PM   #2
Denny_ohio
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default OOHHHH yeah

Jb was on fire tonight!!!! I caught a few ,but nothing like Jb. I couldnt put the buzzbait down long enuff to try alot.It just seamed purfect for the buzzbait when it had a ripple on it, Or the Cubin aka Zara Spook.When that 3lb + bass hit
his buzzbait tik tik tik.....BOOM!!!!!! a bomb..it was killer.I just enjoyed watching
Jb bring him in wtg
Denny
Old 08-04-05, 09:49 PM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thanks~!

I noticed when we got home it hadn't even rained here, just wolfed down 3 ears of Korn from the garden, a chix breast, a yeller mater, and a f/n hot bananna peppah
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 10:31 PM   #4
JimSulli
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to JimSulli

Cannot wait until the day that happens to me. I was wondering. Where can you get one of these calanders? I'd really like to know more about the actual habbits of bass as well. Can anyone point me to some good literature about this?
Old 08-05-05, 03:49 AM   #5
Cuban_Cigar
BassFishin.Com Member

Sounds like the night I had.....but I was sleeping.....and my ole'lady kept elbowing me in the ribs to stop my fidgeting....

Field and Stream is my fav mag......has them tables too...and always something that is useful but you will never ever sanely need to know it.......Outdoor Life will occasionally have something useful.....I only get those when I crapped to much in one month and ran out of stuff to read. Far as habits of bass go....
http://www.bassresource.com/beginner/beginner.html
saw this in another post.....haven't got time to look at it yet......o wait i have time now......but it has(I think) links for everything you'll ever need to know about bass..as of right now I have only scanned the links on the page.
Old 08-05-05, 04:38 AM   #6
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

bass resource is a GREAT information site. Its taught me a lot of things and made me realize how little I actually did know.

Anyway, I haven't reached double digits yet. I caught 7 on Wednesday night from about 7 until dark. The pond I fish seems to be hard to catch a hog, but I was catching 2 pounders one after another on Wednesday. 6 of them were on a tiki stik. If they get it in their mouth, you will land them. I fished again on Thursday from about 6:30 to 8:15 and only caught one. Seemed like a rather slow bite to me, but after hearing your story and having the night I went through, I wish I woulda stayed out by the water til now.

heres a couple pictures of fish I've caught the past few days. Nothing big or major, but the fish weigh a lot bigger than they looked, which surprised me.

Last edited by KenDammit; 08-05-05 at 04:43 AM.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-05, 04:43 AM   #7
Dyas
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

Nice fish................. Seems you were using my favorite color tiki.............. and line........... YOU STOLE MY FISHING POLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...............................Just playin'
Old 08-05-05, 04:47 AM   #8
KenDammit

you'll have to forgive my expressions in the last two. It felt like Satan was blowing on my face it was so hot, as you can see in the second pic with how much I was still sweating AFTER dark.

and yeah dyas, its called green pumpkin/chartreuse swirl, but from what I gather its the same as watermelon?
Old 08-05-05, 04:49 AM   #9
Cuban_Cigar
BassFishin.Com Member

Sure they did ken....sure they weighed more than it looks....heheh
Old 08-05-05, 04:55 AM   #10
KenDammit

heh, I'm not claiming anything major...when I was holding them..I was thinking less than a pound..cuz they look really thin, the first pic there is 1lb 5oz, the second one was 2lbs, and the third was 1lb 10 oz.
Old 08-05-05, 05:00 AM   #11
Dyas

Nice rods and reels KEN............................... sorry im just missing my reels and starting to get jealous of the people that have reels...................................... Looks like you got a nice place over there wherever you live............
Old 08-05-05, 05:00 AM   #12
Cuban_Cigar
BassFishin.Com Member

well......i suppose you beat my buddies catch......

http://terra-prtl.com/images/2001_0110_035116AA.JPG

and one fish bout size of your first pic....funny thing is is that at the end of the day....this fish was counted by him against my 2 that i caught while fishin with him....so we went double or nothin for the next trip
Old 08-05-05, 05:01 AM   #13
Cuban_Cigar
BassFishin.Com Member

hahahah......i am so glad i bought a camera....that picture just makes me grin so much..
Old 08-05-05, 05:04 AM   #14
KenDammit

yeah I love them, the spinning reel is a shimano sonora, and the spincaster is a Rhino RSC5(used to be used for catfishing, but I like it better for bassing near the cattails). The spinning reel was a birthday present along with the rod. Its a 6' berkley bionix. I don't even know what the spincaster is on, although I think its a medium/heavy action rod. I know my stuff isn't the best, but if it gets my hook in the water where I want it and I'm catching fish, its all good to me. Got a few pics of it on the digital camera, can't get them off right now though. Cattails all the way around it except for that one little hole I fish out of there.

The pond is pretty nice. I wish there were more holes in the cattails, but this time of year they've already grown so much there isn't much you can do with them. Still a nice little piece of water that no one fishes but me and my girlfriends dad.
Old 08-05-05, 05:05 AM   #15
Dyas

Thats hilarious ........................... The lures bigger than the fish
Old 08-05-05, 05:06 AM   #16
KenDammit

oh man, if only image shack was working right now, I'd show you the MONSTER I caught in the spring... I bet you've never seen a fish this big before..it must have weighed at least 30lbs.!!!!!@)(@#
Old 08-05-05, 05:08 AM   #17
Dyas

Yeah im getting a new spinning setup for my birthday. Probably a Flueger Trion with a 6' Shimano Sojourn rod............... Already got some Cajun Cast for it and my birthday is more than a month away................... Shows I am ready for my birthday to come.....................
Old 08-05-05, 05:11 AM   #18
KenDammit

haha, cajun is such sweet line..although it let me down today. I really DID hook a big fish on the tiki, and man I couldn't even get the fish to move an inch, but then my line broke. I probably should have checked it, but I was too eager to fish A couple seconds after my line broke, the fish jumped outta the water, to shake the hook or the bait I suppose, but man it was a nice one. Happy early Birthday!
Old 08-05-05, 05:11 AM   #19
KenDammit

alright you guys, heres the monster, get ready for it, because its a big one. Only fish I caught that day, too.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...Picture056.jpg
Old 08-05-05, 05:13 AM   #20
Dyas

I caught this bluegill last year on a crappie jig................ weighed 2lbs and 4ozs
Old 08-05-05, 05:15 AM   #21
Dyas

How did you pick that thing up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY SH!T!!!!!!!!!!!THATS A MONSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-05-05, 05:17 AM   #22
KenDammit

not a bad little fish there, bet that sucker fought like a train
Old 08-05-05, 05:18 AM   #23
KenDammit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyas
How did you pick that thing up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY SH!T!!!!!!!!!!!THATS A MONSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm tellin ya, I thought it was gonna pop my elbow just holding it up for the picture...it was all I could do to hold it up for 10 seconds then throw it back in.
Old 08-05-05, 05:23 AM   #24
Dyas

Tel ya whats hard to hold up is a 8' stringer full of 1lb blue gill................ Had to stand up on a table to get it off the ground for the picture.......
Old 08-05-05, 05:36 AM   #25
Dyas

http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0TAC...33710911049164

That thing was heavy.................. Had to take some fish off cause I didnt have enough string to wrap around the hammer and be able to hold it up.................. That was just one days catch!!

Last edited by Dyas; 08-05-05 at 05:38 AM. Reason: url
Dyas is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.