Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-13-06, 10:56 PM   #1
jplane33
BassFishin.Com Member

Default A Grassy Mess

I Was Wondering If Any One Could Tell Me What Is Some Good Bait And Techniques To Use In A Heavily Grassy Pond.
jplane33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-06, 11:12 PM   #2
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

everyone recommends frogs for that but i dont know
Old 03-13-06, 11:23 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

There are quite a number of options, depending how thick it is. If there is some open water a lipless crankbait pulled above and through the grass can be deadly, but I get the impression there is probably too much grass for that. So, in that case, a weedless soft plastic bait is probably your best bet.

In grass I throw one of three baits:

A fluke like a Zoom Super Fluke which is a minnow imitating bait, a stickbait like a Wave Worm Tiki Stick, which doesn't really resemble anything but sure catches fish, and a frog bait like a Zoom Horny Toad which you fish on the surface over the grass.

I throw all these baits weightless so they sink slowly-the fluke and the Tiki Stick I fish with soft twitches of the rod tip, and the frog I use a steady retrieve like a buzzbait.

If you aren't familiar with these baits or how to rig them post back and we'll get you fixed up.
Old 03-13-06, 11:33 PM   #4
fishn'fool
BassFishin.Com Member

Your lure choise and presentation depends on the type of vegetation you are fishing. But with any vegetation I try to attack from above and below! If your talking about a pond more likley your talking about coontail mixed with common cat tail on the edges. Coon tail is very thick with long strands that float up to the surface but don't emerge out of the water. For this, scum frog, johnson silver minnow, moss boss work the top of coon tail. Since coon tail is so thick a light jig headed worm may not work on the outside edge, so two texas style worms tubes or what ever with different bullet sinker would be my choice. 1/4 to 3/8 once to work the outer edge of vegetation, then 1/2 to 1 ounce to bust through the thick stuff to really get in there. If it is really thick focus on openings and pockets in the coon tail or any vegetation for that matter. But working lures above and below vegetaion can really key you in on what the bass's mood is for that day!
Old 03-13-06, 11:34 PM   #5
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

welcome jplane...what a coincidence ...you use all caps like someone else on this site.drag a weightless lizard across the weeds
Old 03-14-06, 07:46 AM   #6
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassintom
welcome jplane...what a coincidence ...you use all caps like someone else on this site.drag a weightless lizard across the weeds
Now your talking. Or get a heavy jig-n-pig, and cast it out and let it fall through the vegetation. Also you can hop that lizard on top of the mats and vegetation. And always keep in contact with your jig, they will hit it many times on the fall. All the choices provided can and will work. Welcome to the site.

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.