Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-12, 12:00 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Hey, goofy question!

Most everyone has experienced the fish striking boat side, right?
Why does this happen? It actually happens quite often.
Musky folks figure- eight on every cast. (often wondered why bass fishermen don't)
Swimbait folks, especially big swimbaits, say one of the keys to sucsess is long casts. Yet they also say that a large persentage of bites come within 6ft of the boat, even though they just threw it like 50 yards .

Do you think this is due to the bait changing speed or cadence?

So what do you think the answer is?
Maybe you don't believe it happens enough to really even care?
But I see it time and time again while watching fishing shows, especially tournaments.
Old 02-08-12, 12:17 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

While I've had many bass strike right at the boat, I can't remember very many following my offering to the boat and not striking. However, I've had my share of pike follow my lure to the boat and then just hover there looking at it while I swim it around trying to entice a strike. Usually, the pike just sink away without striking. Musky might be a different story, but I havn't ever caught a musky.
Old 02-08-12, 06:14 AM   #3
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Just typing what is on my mind...Something like large swim baits may take time for a fish to decide whether or not he wants to tangle with it. He might be dialed in on it from the time it hits the water, but it might string him for a long ways until he decides to smash or turn the other way. Like me, I know I can eat a triple whopper, but I know I feel like crap for about 4-5 hours afterwards and I just feel like was it worth the effort. That is why I settle for the double hahahaha.

Could be something about the erratic motion the bait makes in the last few feet to the boat that triggers a fish. Sudden rise in the bait, speeding up the reel for the next cast. etc...
Old 02-08-12, 07:48 AM   #4
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post

Could be something about the erratic motion the bait makes in the last few feet to the boat that triggers a fish. Sudden rise in the bait, speeding up the reel for the next cast. etc...
I think that has a lot to do with it. I've had fish hit every lure in my tacklebox close to the boat, but crankbaits seem to be the most common. Sometimes I think its a follower that gets triggered by what Bubba said, other times I think its just a fish that happened to be holding close. After cranks its buzzbaits and spinnerbaits that get nailed boatside, whatever the reason it always scares me a little and excites me a lot! Who wouldn't freak out a bit when suddenly a solid 5 lber harpoons your plug with 3 feet of line out......makes me smile just thinking about it.

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 02-08-12 at 08:35 AM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 07:49 AM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Your boat provides an obstacle for a bass chasing prey. It narrows down the escape options for the prey when the bass makes its move. So a fish intent on just following a lure may change its mind at the sight of such an obstacle and strike.

As far as figure eights go, most people believe bass are generally boat shy. They get too close, or see a lot of movement from you and they turn and swim. Some swimbait fishermen like Bill Siemantel say big bass get tunnel vision and won't run from the sight of them boat until they realize something else is going on. He recommends adopting a crouched stance when a fish is following a big bait. He even uses the figure eight. And he must know what he's doing; he's caught more double digit fish than most people dream of catching.

Musky on the other hand are known for not really giving a crap. It's not unheard of for a musky to take a swipe at a bait, sit under the boat and wait, then strike right at the boat on another cast.

BB
Old 02-08-12, 08:33 AM   #6
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Musky on the other hand are known for not really giving a crap. It's not unheard of for a musky to take a swipe at a bait, sit under the boat and wait, then strike right at the boat on another cast.
BB
That attitude tickles me for some reason I would love for BASS to somehow develop that bada$$ mindset (even more)
Old 02-08-12, 01:41 PM   #7
3dkicker

I believe the fish think the bait is making it's way to cover, like a floating dock or log, and some hit just before the bait gets to the boat. I've had them jump out of the water to hit the bait as it left the water.
With crankbaits I pause with the bait 2-3' down right before I lift it out of the water. Gives them a chance to hit it. Also a sudden change of action too.
With plastics I just hit the thumb bar and release the bait if I see on following the bait and they typically hit it on the fall.
I will say that I miss plenty of fish that follow the bait due to me paying more attention to where my next cast is going vs fishing the retrieve.
Old 02-08-12, 08:03 PM   #8
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
I believe the fish think the bait is making it's way to cover, like a floating dock or log, and some hit just before the bait gets to the boat. I've had them jump out of the water to hit the bait as it left the water.
With crankbaits I pause with the bait 2-3' down right before I lift it out of the water. Gives them a chance to hit it. Also a sudden change of action too.
With plastics I just hit the thumb bar and release the bait if I see on following the bait and they typically hit it on the fall.
I will say that I miss plenty of fish that follow the bait due to me paying more attention to where my next cast is going vs fishing the retrieve.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger
Old 02-08-12, 11:25 PM   #9
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger
My Exact feelings!
Old 02-08-12, 11:59 PM   #10
MallenManson

Lol. I've damm near wet myself when they hit right up at the surface!
Old 02-09-12, 12:16 AM   #11
oglejust
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Lol. I've damm near wet myself when they hit right up at the surface!
i had 1 hit a popper right as i was lifting the bait out of the water.. i bout fell over it scared me so bad haha
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 01:00 AM   #12
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by oglejust View Post
i had 1 hit a popper right as i was lifting the bait out of the water.. i bout fell over it scared me so bad haha

LMAO! I might have screamed!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.