Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-07-12, 08:35 PM   #1
IAFrogger
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Spinnerbait brand recommendation?

Wanting to pick up a couple spinnerbaits for spring. I don't fish a spinnerbait a lot, but want to get a couple quality ones that will hold up. Not overly concerned with price within reason.... what do you hardcore spinnerbait users recommend from your experience.

Are terminators good?... any other brand recommendations? I am planning on primarily fishing them near the top or in shallow water....
IAFrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 09:07 PM   #2
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Not a real big fan of Terminators but I've had a lot of luck with Booyah and Strike King. Both are fairly priced and pretty durable. War Eagles are my favorites but the thin wire doesn't always hold up great.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 09:14 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

My favorites are War Eagles for casting to open water and Stan Sloan spinnerbaits for pitching to cover. I haven't had any issues with the wire breaking on War Eagle spinnerbaits and I have several of them that have caught a ton of fish, however I have heard of the wire breaking on them for some people. The Stan Sloan spinnerbaits seem to come through brush and other cover better than any other spinnerbait I have used. Like bluebasser said, Booyah and Strike King both make a pretty good spinnerbait as well.
Old 02-07-12, 09:30 PM   #4
bamabassman

BOOYAH!!!!! lol. i don't go for a certain "brand" name spinner. strike king, booyah, war chickens (never will buy those for reasons well known,hahaha). ihave so many now i don't think i will need a psinner for a LONG time. hand made spinners ar the best in my opion. oyu know what it's made of and by whom.
Old 02-07-12, 10:12 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'm by no means a hardcore spinnerbait fisherman, but Strike King is usually by brand of choice. The Premier Plus series specifically.

BB
Old 02-07-12, 10:26 PM   #6
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAFrogger View Post
Wanting to pick up a couple spinnerbaits for spring. I don't fish a spinnerbait a lot, but want to get a couple quality ones that will hold up. Not overly concerned with price within reason.... what do you hardcore spinnerbait users recommend from your experience.

Are terminators good?... any other brand recommendations? I am planning on primarily fishing them near the top or in shallow water....
I've used the terminator Titanium with good results but have had a few snap. I normally buy home made.
Old 02-07-12, 11:00 PM   #7
Tavery5

I don't use allot of spinnerbaits anymore but when I did, I liked the Stanley Wedge Plus, the Terminator Ti. and War Eagle.
Old 02-07-12, 11:23 PM   #8
bassboogieman

Termintors (T1) are my choice, I do change out those crappy skirts though and put a coat of epoxy on the heads to help reduce the paint chipping. I've not had one snap, and they always run true. Their blades are unique among spinnerbaits and I do think they are the best.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 11:29 PM   #9
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

War Eagle is my number one choice in spinnerbaits.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 11:50 PM   #10
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Besides my own, I've only used Dixie Dancers, and that wasn't for all that long.
I did like em though
Old 02-08-12, 12:02 AM   #11
keithdog

The spinnerbait is a go to lure for me. I did use the Terminator spinnerbaits with the titanium wire for many years and caught a ton of fish on them. Tended to loose spinner blades on those for some reason though. I've never owned a War Eagle so can't say much about those other than lots of guys swear by them. I'm going to try one out this year. My favorite commercial spinnerbait now days is the Strike King KVD models. The 3/8 oz. willow/colorado tandem blade version is a fantastic spinnerbait that holds up very well and runs true right out of the package. I like the magic tail skirts that come with them too! The last several years I've been making my own and this past year I upgraded my spinnerbaits. I can custom make mine according to my needs which is a real plus!
Old 02-08-12, 12:22 AM   #12
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
The spinnerbait is a go to lure for me. I did use the Terminator spinnerbaits with the titanium wire for many years and caught a ton of fish on them. Tended to loose spinner blades on those for some reason though. I've never owned a War Eagle so can't say much about those other than lots of guys swear by them. I'm going to try one out this year. My favorite commercial spinnerbait now days is the Strike King KVD models. The 3/8 oz. willow/colorado tandem blade version is a fantastic spinnerbait that holds up very well and runs true right out of the package. I like the magic tail skirts that come with them too! The last several years I've been making my own and this past year I upgraded my spinnerbaits. I can custom make mine according to my needs which is a real plus!

Picked up 100 Ball Bearing Swivels on Ebay today for 28 bucks delivered
I've had issues in the past with blades falling off while the fish was out of water.
Going to switch to different heads. Thinkin it's an issue with the wire.
One other possible fix will be eliminating the snap ring at the head wire end. Could be a tad tricky though. Have to have the swivel on the wire before I make the bend I suppose
Old 02-08-12, 12:32 AM   #13
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Picked up 100 Ball Bearing Swivels on Ebay today for 28 bucks delivered
I've had issues in the past with blades falling off while the fish was out of water.
Going to switch to different heads. Thinkin it's an issue with the wire.
One other possible fix will be eliminating the snap ring at the head wire end. Could be a tad tricky though. Have to have the swivel on the wire before I make the bend I suppose
If you end up making one without the snap ring, take a picture of it and post it so I can see how it looks. So far I've not lost any blades while using my own spinnerbaits. Only when using Terminators. I don't think the titanium wire end loop stays closed tight enough. Thats the only reason I can think of for the blade flying off. Thats a steal on those swivels!!!
Old 02-08-12, 05:16 AM   #14
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I'm not an Auburn fan, but I will scream "War Eagle" for the most part throwing a spinner bait. My favorite has to be the gold series with tandem willow gold blades and white/gold skirt.
Old 02-08-12, 10:40 AM   #15
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
If you end up making one without the snap ring, take a picture of it and post it so I can see how it looks. So far I've not lost any blades while using my own spinnerbaits. Only when using Terminators. I don't think the titanium wire end loop stays closed tight enough. Thats the only reason I can think of for the blade flying off. Thats a steal on those swivels!!!

Will do!
I've ordered from the guy on Ebay before. He's got #2 and #3s for sale
Old 02-09-12, 12:15 AM   #16
james86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
BOOYAH!!!!! lol. i don't go for a certain "brand" name spinner. strike king, booyah, war chickens (never will buy those for reasons well known,hahaha). ihave so many now i don't think i will need a psinner for a LONG time. hand made spinners ar the best in my opion. oyu know what it's made of and by whom.
I was hesitant to try that brand too bama. But I bought about a dozen of their flipping jigs and I must say they're the best jigs I've ever used. But anyway. ROLL TIDE
Old 02-09-12, 06:57 PM   #17
bamabassman

if those were the BEST jigs james...........oyu ain't used a CABIN FEVER or a THUNDERSTRUCK jig my friend. ask bigbassin144 and c-rig if they got any left. lol.

and ROLLLLLLLL TIDE ROLL BUDDY!
Old 02-09-12, 08:10 PM   #18
james86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
if those were the BEST jigs james...........oyu ain't used a CABIN FEVER or a THUNDERSTRUCK jig my friend. ask bigbassin144 and c-rig if they got any left. lol.

and ROLLLLLLLL TIDE ROLL BUDDY!

You're right I haven't. I wanted to pick some up when they were selling them last time but I never got around to it. I really liked the design, especially the recessed line tie.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.