Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-11-12, 11:20 AM   #1
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Swim baits?

I have been hearing a lot about people become very successful with swim baits. I never really used them but i would like to get into them. I know very little about swim baits can anyone give me some pointers? Thanks
Old 02-11-12, 11:29 AM   #2
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Swimbaitnation, and swimbaitunderground(although, very slanted towards 3:16 baits), scot, the two places I spend most of my time now. Surprising number of Jersey residents on both those sites. Just make sure you use the "search" function before posting newb questions(especially @ S.U.), but over-all a good group of guys, that love to help. But( and it's a big "but"), when they're talking swimbaits, they're talkin' swimbaits, pretty much anything over 6", the bigger the better.
http://www.swimbaitnation.com/
http://www.swimbaitunderground.com/forum/index.php
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 08:13 PM   #3
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Swimbaits can be a very exciting bait to fish. If you don't at least have some 4" hollowbelly style baits in your box you're missing out! We don't have many big bass around here that are capable of eating a bait 8" or bigger but I've started to fish with some 6" baits and have been surprised how small of fish will hit one. It seems like when conditions are good for topwater or spinnerbaits are days that I also do well with swimbaits. I also believe that fish that eat swimbaits are fish that wouldn't have eaten any other baits simply because I've thrown bait after bait at likely looking spots just to toss a swimbait and get crushed on my first cast. May not be true in every situation but most of the time I think it probably is true.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-12, 12:04 AM   #4
skeeter1804

The swimbait is pretty much a chunk and wind bait. I started using them last year and had pretty good success whenever I saw fish busting shad on the surface. I tried them at other times with minimal success. They will never be my number one go to bait but under certain circumstances they are great.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-12, 01:06 AM   #5
Scott the fishman

Any recommended brands?
Old 02-12-12, 10:27 AM   #6
jig fisherman

If you look on tacklewarehouse they have a lot, but for soft plastic baits huddleston and mattlures are well liked. For hardbaits it depends on what you're looking for and what you can afford. For big walking baits lunker punkers are good, there are many wakebaits to choose from too. Just avoid the cheap stuff unless you see that it has a lot of good reviews from guys who know their swimbaits. Doing searches on swimbaitnation.com and swimbaitunderground.com will halp with that.
jig fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-12, 01:23 PM   #7
finessefishin
BassFishin.Com Member

Swimbaits are fun to fish at times. I recommend using a smaller size (4-6in) as most of the bass in your area aren't big enough that they will want an 8 inch bait. Most people just fish swimbaits with a straight retrieve but you can catch a lot more using an irregular retrieve such as pausing it and jerking it, ripping it off weeds, crawling it, etc. I would fish it a little slower than you would a crankbait. Swimbaits get very expensive so I use the Zman swimbaits because they are made out of Elaztech and don't rip and tear nearly as easy.
finessefishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-12, 01:30 PM   #8
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Still in the learning curve, but they are effective baits. I like the 3:16 baits and the Strike King Shadalicious. You can fish then a lot of different ways-chunk and wind, lift and drop, burned on the surface-you get the idea. Just remember the bigger the bait the heavier the tackle you need to use.

I also like the hard swimbaits like the H3O swimbaits and the Sebile Magic Swimmer.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.