Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-17-12, 12:01 PM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default 2 places i am going to try, need your imput

i am on a limb guys as i can tell you the laydown i see for i dont know any underwater specs at all.

1 first place is off the main lake, almost like a cove that travels back to a creek, was in the boat last week(fish ing paradise i mentioned in a previous post) anyway we go as far as we can go before water get super shallow, i google earth and find out it keeps going back to a creek, well a small slow moving lake almost cove. it funny it runs around a park, which has a boarded walkway all around this creek/cove, visited this place, hevy over hanging cover. it is only 5 foot wide in the widest places, water looks deeper than 5 foot in some places. lots of big gills and ducks if that helps.. to me id love to use a buzzbait in the summer and a frog. anyway what your input with the crappy info i gave

2. second place is a small creek again off main river, its got lots of downed trees, widest spot is 4 foot across. i know the catfishermen love it after a big rain, the flatheads come up in it, this look ideal for big catfish, with lots of brush piles, usally muddy water. is this worth trying for bass. i know you never know to you try, but this spot is a bit away to go on just a "lets find out", also if i travel the shore, it comes up to a bridge,, if that helps... thanks guys
Old 02-17-12, 12:11 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Well your biggest problem is in a park and narrow,so bank fishermen will not like you crossing their setups,if none around toss way ahead and bring the buzzer back to the boat.
Im of mind the bass wont use it much either unless a rain or as a roadway to elsewhere.
If it widens into a small cove that is where one will find bass at more likly and at the mouth or entrance.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 12:15 PM   #3
wallywallace

actually there is a bridge that allows easy ascess at the park, i can almost fish every part. not alot of people fish the park.. i forgot to mention this wil be a bank fishing endover. sorry to mention that in the OP
Old 02-17-12, 01:23 PM   #4
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Do you know if there is anything to bring bass up into these area's, like feeding flats or spawning area's? Is this in a lake or off a River? Personally any place that has submerged brushpiles is a place I'm going to check out at least twice in each part of the season, even in winter.
Old 02-17-12, 01:29 PM   #5
lilmule

Aha even though have 2 boats currently,I also fish from the bank as have a nice state park nearby(6 min from the house) with a cove covered with lilly pads,not much boat traffic from ky lake as beavers have entrance dammed,take 358 elevation of water to be able to enter,yet nice paths and road nearby.
Not much wood but plenty of greenery

There is a small creek 5 ft wide hundred yards long that has a very small backwater bay in it at Beech fork lake W.Va that ive taken a boat into,another at East Lynn lake one goes thru a culvert pipe under the road,similar setup at greenup ky on the ohio river,one comes into Ricky Crafts backyard.
So I assumed wrongly that you would be in a boat.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 04:32 PM   #6
joedog

I would fish number one at least at the beginning.
You have some history and knowledge, pus advice from the first time you described it.
Laydowns from shore can really be challenging. I like to jig them, you choose trailer. Lighter seems a little easier to brink back thru trees and seem to come over limbs a little easier. Look around at the standing timber, although every tree's unique, they still have similarities worth noting.
Standard weightless stick worm on the edge of over hangs or under can always be effective.
Lipless cranks for the areas that are open to and can cast. If you can throw a Buzz you can throw a lippless.
I find a lot of times I can move and get a different angle and with the long distance casting abillity of lipless' you can a lot of times cast opposite sides and actually work lure like throwing from a boat and when it gets close to shore...your shorbusting again.
Lastly you may want to try a standard ball jig rigged Texas to avoid snags but it's amazing how well they can roll over a limb (rigged Texas Style) and the fall on the other side (with semi-slack line) is flat out deadly!
Oh, bring alot of jigs!
Till you get to know each laydown any ways.

Good luck and ...MORE IMPORTANT...have fun!
Old 02-17-12, 05:11 PM   #7
wallywallace

thanks for all your help, and yea i fished the open of the cove, throwing lipless and swallow cranks, friend got some. but yea i want to go throuh the park and def. try in the coves, it like before, you know the place that just scream bass is here, it has alot of those features. hope the weekend is descent and will go to spot one.
basstech, now i know i am a moderate fisherman, not really good but no a novice, but assume when you say flats, they are a elevated area fish feed. since the water is clear i can see a elevated strip with drops off on each side. almost like a *****ula. the is facing the mouth of the cove, though it is to far to see actual bass and to far to go in .. though it is reachable by the walkway.. i hope that made since
Old 02-17-12, 05:14 PM   #8
wallywallace

the word that is dashed for some reason is peninsula

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.