Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-16-12, 01:28 PM   #26
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Thanks, that's what I was wondering. It's the actual visits that I like to those stores, otherwise I would buy on-line, I use it as an excuse for the trip.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 11:43 PM   #27
basshunter21
BassFishin.Com Active Member

How far is the wheeling va, cabelas from you dogmatic? Im taking a trip down there soon and I cannot freakin wait!

BTW- Do any of you guys know who makes Bass Pro shops reels for them?

Last edited by basshunter21; 02-17-12 at 12:01 AM.
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 12:20 AM   #28
Dogmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshunter21 View Post
How far is the wheeling va, cabelas from you dogmatic? Im taking a trip down there soon and I cannot freakin wait!
...aaaaaah, really far, maybe 9 hours. When I head to Cabela's, it's the Hamburg, PA store, 45 minutes away from me. But it doesn't come close to the Sydney, Nebraska store, if you're ever out that way.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 12:20 AM   #29
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshunter21 View Post

BTW- Do any of you guys know who makes Bass Pro shops reels for them?

It is hard to give a definite answer to the question but we can assume some things. First the reels are made in Korea, and there are only two major reel assembly plants in Korea that I know of, Abu/Pflueger and Silstar/Pinnacle. Some of the more popular reels like the PQ, Carbonlite and JM series reels share allot of similar components with the Abu/Pflueger line of reels, so one would assume that they are probably coming out of that plant.

BPS does produce some reels that do not follow the typical Abu/Pflueger design and I would guess Silstar is assembling those models.
Old 02-17-12, 01:21 AM   #30
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd certainly look at the REVO STX's and Lews Tourney Speed Spool. The STX is on of the nicest reel I've felt, picked one up in cabelas and had a hard time putting it down last time I was there. Never fished or even handled the higher end speed spools, but they're building a good reputation for themselves. From handling both the Curado (E), and STX (and even SX), I'd chose the revo in a heart beat.
Old 02-17-12, 11:25 AM   #31
bassboogieman

I believe Tav is correct. BPS reels have strongly resembled Pflueger reels for about as long as I can remember. I used BPS reels when I started fishing, but changed to Pflueger about 8 years ago. When Pflueger changed their reel design a few years ago and went to the smaller frame - very similiar to the REVO - the BPS reels changed shortly thereafter, again looking very much like the Pfluegers. Coincidence? I don't think so.

The other clue, I saw Proreel's comment that REVO parts fit the BPS Pro Qualifier reel, and I believe many parts are interchangable between the REVO and Pflueger reels. They are both owned by Pure Fishing and assembled in the same plant in Korea (so I hear). It's not a stretch of the imagination to believe they share a similiar design and share parts to keep production costs down and profits up. Another coincidence? - Pflueger reels changed to their current small frame, similiar to (a clone of?) the REVO shortly after they (Pflueger & Abu) were purchased by Pure Fishing and the reel production was moved to Korea. A probable effort to economize the manufacture of the two brands and actually, IMO, improve the Pflueger reel. I liked the old Pflueger large frame reels, but I REALLY LIKE the current small frame models.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 05:25 PM   #32
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
If your looking at Shimano reels, the best value is a Curado E series, last years Curado E is this years Chronarch minus the paint job and a couple of other very small changes. You can find the Curado E for 140 at this link http://www.ohya.com. The Curado E is considered to be the superior reel to the new Curado G by many Shimano enthusiast, based largely on the reel being no longer produced in Japan, and several other features that were considered to be downgraded.
I just ordered a 50e from Ohya, I couldn't find them cheaper on Ebay. It took my order and sent me a confirmation email, hopefully they still have them in stock. Thanks for the link Tony. Hopefully Kevin has bearings and drag washers in stock.
Old 02-17-12, 06:01 PM   #33
basshunter21
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thank you tavery and bassboogie.

I tried to find out with a google search and saw on another forum they were saying the PQ's were made by Pflueger, but they also mentioned on how they change in between manufacturers often and these posts were from like 2002. I thought maybe they have changed.

You guys have sold me on the PQ's. Ive always heard they were good, but I always like having the brand name snazzy looking reels. But for $100 sounds like you cant beat them. I really wanted one of those newer Daiwa reels, their sharp as heck looking.
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 08:01 PM   #34
pro reel

Yep, I've got the good bearings and drags. BPS used to contract with Pure fishing to have the reels built through them. BPS has now gotten big enough that they contract with the actual asembly plants in Korea. They still have some sort of arangement with Pure fishing that allows them to use the same parts and designs that pure fishing uses in Abu and Pfluger reels.

As I have said before, mechanical parts will never be an issue for PQ reels because i can replace any PQ mechanical part with a coresponding part from one of the revo reels. I routinly use revo stx and premire line guide components to rebuild and upgrade PQ reels. All of the inside clutch components and springs are also identical. The top level revos use better and lighter materials for some of the components, but they are still the same size and shape. The Revo S and the PQ use the exact same gears and line guide wormshaft and pawl. The PQ uses teflon drag washers in the exact same size as the revo carbon fiber washers. The teflon is good, but the carbon fiber is better. I have even put revo brakes and spools in PQ reels
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 08:35 PM   #35
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
Yep, I've got the good bearings and drags. BPS used to contract with Pure fishing to have the reels built through them. BPS has now gotten big enough that they contract with the actual asembly plants in Korea. They still have some sort of arangement with Pure fishing that allows them to use the same parts and designs that pure fishing uses in Abu and Pfluger reels.

As I have said before, mechanical parts will never be an issue for PQ reels because i can replace any PQ mechanical part with a coresponding part from one of the revo reels. I routinly use revo stx and premire line guide components to rebuild and upgrade PQ reels. All of the inside clutch components and springs are also identical. The top level revos use better and lighter materials for some of the components, but they are still the same size and shape. The Revo S and the PQ use the exact same gears and line guide wormshaft and pawl. The PQ uses teflon drag washers in the exact same size as the revo carbon fiber washers. The teflon is good, but the carbon fiber is better. I have even put revo brakes and spools in PQ reels
Cool, thanks. I will PM you when I know for sure that the reel is coming. I will want a set of each for the 50.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.