Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-20-12, 03:13 AM   #1
BassAnglerMagazine
BassFishin.Com Member

Default time & money to stay on the water

Bass fishing is a sport that costs money and takes time. What have you found you have traded in to continue fishing as a hobby or as a tournament angler?
BassAnglerMagazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 06:29 AM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

How to Submit: Please submit queries via email to Mark Lassagne providing as much detail as possible about the proposed article including the focus, potential interview subjects, a sample lead paragraph or two and a description of photographs and/or art.
Payment: Many of our articles are submitted by anglers working to become more proficient at writing and wanting to be published in a quality print magazine. (There are very few publications that are willing to accept unpublished writers and none that are willing to help you) Being published in BAM will help you open doors you never thought possible.). Our publisher and copy editors work with the contributing writers to help present their story in a more professional manner. Our current budget for articles is $50 each and $50 for video provided specifically about the article. Public videos do not qualify for payment.
Old 06-20-12, 08:09 AM   #3
bassboogieman

EASY - My 21' bass boat for a 14' kayak. No more gas for boat or tow vehicle. A much more relaxing form of fishing and I get some exercise while doing it. All my local water (less than an hour's drive) is electric motor only for power. I can fish ANYWHERE (locally) that I fished in the bass boat. As I'm older (retired) my expendable income has somewhat decreased, and the kayak has allowed me to enjoy fishing more and get a little exercise while doing it. I never thought I would enjoy a kayak more than my bass boat, but attitudes and budgets chnage. This change was one of the best I ever made regarding my ability to continue (actually imporve) my fishing experience and enjoyment of being on the water.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 06-20-12 at 10:39 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 01:59 PM   #4
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I suppose "my sanity" doesn't count.
Old 06-20-12, 04:05 PM   #5
bassboogieman

Bryce, Bryce, Bryce, you know you cannot trade something which was never in your possession - EVER!
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 06:23 PM   #6
bassinbob

Mostly women.
Old 06-21-12, 07:59 AM   #7
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Mostly women.
Awesome answer...

I was gonna say stress, but I like yours better! Reminds me of that country song where the girlfriend says he's gonna have to give up fishing or she's gonna leave him. He simply replies, "I'm gonna miss her!"
Old 06-21-12, 10:06 AM   #8
merc1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAnglerMagazine View Post
Bass fishing is a sport that costs money and takes time. What have you found you have traded in to continue fishing as a hobby or as a tournament angler?
the thing that i do to be able to fish more often for hobby fishing is to always fish with one or two other people. this helps to spread out the cost. i tend to fish closer to the house more, and not do as much running. basically put the trolling motor down and fish and be happy that i got to fish.

tournament fishing used to be my second job, but besides the expense of fuel, most tournaments do not have a very good pay back anymore. it seems that they all want to pay every "tom", "dick", and "harry" that show up. i would suppose the thinking behind this is that they will get more participation with more numbers of payouts. if you are not going to win something for winning, what is the use in fishing a tournament?? even with our small children, we have become a society of rewarding failure. we give everyone a trophy whether they win or not. i do not know about anyone else, but my opinion is that we are raising new generations that do not have any competitive drive. they expect to be rewarded for basically doing nothing.

i will get off of my soap box, but that are some of my thoughts, and things that i do to be able to fish more often.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 06:27 PM   #9
Brudd
BassFishin.Com Member

Nothing. Well, maybe you could say I gave up motocross because I bought boat after selling by dirt bike but truthfully the two broken legs had more to do with that than need to give up something to fish.
Brudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 06:58 PM   #10
oglejust

^^ i havent gave up on the dirt bikes, still have 3 but ive found that i choose to fish more than ride anymore. as for money, i sold my diesel truck and took a huge loss but gained my bass boat. best decision ive ever made
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 08:59 PM   #11
Brudd
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oglejust View Post
^^ i havent gave up on the dirt bikes
Three months in a wheel chair can change a man's perspective.
Brudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 11:52 PM   #12
merc1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brudd View Post
hey, sorry about you having to suffer through being in a wheel chair. hope that you are back to fishing.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-12, 11:48 PM   #13
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Plan ahead.

What I've done this summer is taken a few classes out west in oregon. The classes I guess come before the fishing, but the fact of the matter is I just happen to be close to some world class fishing for 2 months that I never would have been able to swing as a recreational trip, but can as a sort of business trip with some down time on the water.

I also agree totally with the kayak idea. I am very big right now on yaks and wading, although optimally a well used larger boat could get me on the big water. But I dont see myself ever trying to be KVD, going with the newest bass boats and tackle. I could end up with 3 different older boats, all well used and depreciated, and feel like I cover the bases way better than one catch all rig. I actually as I recall think Zook was working in that direction, although he may have never quite expressed the idea to me - he had a lot of boats, but no real expensive one. But they all had a purpose.
Old 06-24-12, 06:43 PM   #14
oglejust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brudd View Post
i broke my foot, didnt have insurance so walked on a broken foot for 4 months. got insurance jan 2011. had surgery, was off work for 3 months with no pay, wheelchair/crutches. still limp around and i just turned 22. gna take more than a bad foot to make me quit.. just love ridin.
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.