Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 07-06-12, 12:55 PM   #1
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Conquered!!!

I have a BPS reel (Extreme EXT10SHB) that has been a thorn in my side for the longest time. Actually I've never liked the reel and not sure that I still do. I tore it completely down last night, cleaned it and re-lubed everything. This is the farthest I've ever taken a reel apart

I put it back together and it wasn't reeling very smoothly; by this time my head was killing me (didn't have my glasses, trying to read very small schematics and just messing with small parts makes my eyes strain). So this morning I tore it back apart to find my error. I took it a little to far as the error was with a washer under the drag. It is flat on one side and "indented" on the other side. I had it on backwards. Now it is operating very smoothly, still not sure I like it though. I'll have to take it out and give it a test run.

The first time I took this reel apart it was a nightmare! This time I feel like I conquered the reel. Everything went a lot more easily...

My confidence in tearing bait casters apart is slowly growing. Next is investing in a dremel and the things needed to attempt "super tuning" the reel. Since the BPS reel seems more complicated to tear apart than my Shimano's it will be my guinea pig. Plus, I'd rather ruin it than one of my good reels. If I'm confident enough in my work when I get to doing this I'll post it up for everyone else to see. I'm one of those people that has always been, "I wonder what if!"

EDIT: Dang I guess I should have more this to a different category, sorry about that all...
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-12, 03:52 PM   #2
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You've got a few resources here that can help you with reel repair. Glad you got yours back together. I hear horror stories from the guy who repairs mine. He hates it when guys bring him a reel, in parts, in a plastic bag with no schematics......
Old 07-06-12, 04:20 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Congrats on getting it back together. Last time I tried that I ruined a perfectly good reel. I still have no idea how to get behind the main gear plate. I remove all the screws I can find, but it stays put. Oh well, I have my reel repair guy now thanks to Kevin!
Old 07-06-12, 04:43 PM   #4
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
You've got a few resources here that can help you with reel repair. Glad you got yours back together. I hear horror stories from the guy who repairs mine. He hates it when guys bring him a reel, in parts, in a plastic bag with no schematics......
Kevin would have probably ended up with something like that had I not got it put back together. I would have sent the schematics though, BPS reels are a PITA to get schematics for. You have to call them and then wait for them to email them to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Congrats on getting it back together. Last time I tried that I ruined a perfectly good reel. I still have no idea how to get behind the main gear plate. I remove all the screws I can find, but it stays put. Oh well, I have my reel repair guy now thanks to Kevin!
That's my fear is ruining the reel. I have no problem pulling things apart and piecing them (properly) back together. That's how I learned to work on cars and my motorcycle. Haven't tore an engine apart yet, but that day is coming. If I get to a point where I feel like I can't accomplish the job, I'll put it back together and Kevin will be receiving a package, LOL!
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.