Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 01-24-12, 05:09 PM   #1
badbrady06
BassFishin.Com Member

Default opinions on spinning rods.

Gonna get a couple new rods and wanted advice. One for dropshotting and throwing flukes. The other would be for finesse jigs and senkos. Would ideally be 7'0" and under $200.00. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
badbrady06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-12, 05:29 PM   #2
badbrady06
BassFishin.Com Member

Sorry, just to clarify under 200.00 each.
Old 01-26-12, 03:23 AM   #3
badbrady06
BassFishin.Com Member

Wow is everybody fishing with a can and kite string or is question that idiotic?
Old 01-26-12, 03:35 AM   #4
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

For $200 you can pick from some nice rods. I'd take a look as St Croix, Shimano and the new Quantum smoke with the mirco guides just to name few. You can see all the specs by clicking on a Tackle Warehouse banner above and can get reviews and vids by going to Tackletour.com
Old 01-26-12, 10:02 AM   #5
lilmule

Guess im an oddball,use mostly baitcasters but do own several spinning outfits,(used)none of which cost over 40 bucks.200 you can pick just about any brand including GLoomus.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 10:51 AM   #6
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd take a look at the St.Croix Avid rod. Never fished em, but they feel really crisp in hand, I really like they way they feel compared to other rods in the same price. I'd also look at the Dobyans Savvy, and Shimano Cumara.
Old 01-26-12, 12:56 PM   #7
badbrady06
BassFishin.Com Member

I tried a couple g loomis rods and don't really like them. To soft and a little heavier than I like. I checked the St croix rod. I like the way they feel but haven't used them. I've been doing my homework on the dobyns savvy series and shimano crucial rods also. Everything sounds good with them.I need to go handle them I guess. When I say finesse jigs I'm talking about 1/8 ounce jigs thin skirts and 1 1/2 trailers. I'm thinking medium fast for that.
Old 01-26-12, 01:12 PM   #8
badbrady06
BassFishin.Com Member

I should add. I'll be pairing these rods with pflueger presidents. I usually run 20 pound braid with flourocarbon topshot.
Old 01-26-12, 03:11 PM   #9
Tavery5

Might want to take a look at the Falon Bucoo, good quality rod that will not break the bank, if you want a little more rod take a look at the Cara lineup.
Old 01-26-12, 04:15 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Might want to take a look at the Falon Bucoo, good quality rod that will not break the bank, if you want a little more rod take a look at the Cara lineup.
I agree with Tony, Falcon makes some excellent rods. I have several of them ranging from Originals to Caras and I have not been the least bit unhappy with any of them. I am going to be picking up a new shaky head rod before tournament season starts here in March and right now I am leaning towards a Bucoo.

Also take a look at the Abu-Garcia Veritas lineup. They are very light rods and seem to have a little more backbone than some other brands with the same ratings.
Old 01-26-12, 05:57 PM   #11
islandbass

Look no further than a Lamiglas Excel or Shimano's Compre rods. Great bang for the buck is the name of the game for a $200 budget.
Old 01-26-12, 06:11 PM   #12
badbrady06
BassFishin.Com Member

How is the warranty on the shimanos? Dobyns warranty is great. Idk about St crouch warranty either.
Old 01-26-12, 07:48 PM   #13
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrady06 View Post
Wow is everybody fishing with a can and kite string or is question that idiotic?
You can get a lot cans and kite string for $200!
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 08:24 PM   #14
Jrob78

I would check out the Falcon Cara Kriet Squirrel Tail rod, awesome spinning rod but at the very end of your budget. The Lamiglas Excel is another rod that doesn't get the respect it deserves, great rods for the money and made in the USA.
Old 01-27-12, 07:18 PM   #15
Captmikestarrett

I want add one to your selection. Berkley makes a few rods that are so nice. Well let's just say they work. The Lightning series and the Hunter series if you can find them will change your 200 dollar a rod habit real quick. One piece BTW..

Capt Mike
PS St Croix are also good..but twice the price.
Old 01-27-12, 09:43 PM   #16
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post
I want add one to your selection. Berkley makes a few rods that are so nice. Well let's just say they work. The Lightning series and the Hunter series if you can find them will change your 200 dollar a rod habit real quick. One piece BTW..

Capt Mike
PS St Croix are also good..but twice the price.
Yes, X2
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-12, 11:50 PM   #17
joedog

Quote:
How is the warranty on the shimanos? Dobyns warranty is great. Idk about St crouch warranty either.
Croixs upper end rods are lifetime warranty, think it starts at Avid up.
Lower end are 5 years, I think it starts at Primier down.
Old 01-28-12, 12:09 AM   #18
Bassboss

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Croixs upper end rods are lifetime warranty, think it starts at Avid up.
Lower end are 5 years, I think it starts at Primier down.
That'd be right. The Avid, and most shimano rods have a life time warranty on them. I'll add that the St.Croix are MADE IN THE USA, and the HQ is located there, so customer service is great, and replacement is fast!
Old 01-28-12, 01:36 AM   #19
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I'll add that the St.Croix are MADE IN THE USA!
I think the rods built on SCII blanks are made in Mexico, the Premier, Triumph and Mojo.
Old 01-28-12, 09:20 AM   #20
joedog

Jrob78 is kinda right. This kind of explains St.Croix's philosophy. I don't know which ones are actually assembled in Mexico.
Not just "Handcrafted in North American" but "Handcrafted in Wisconson"
Sounds better, don't you think?
If your ever in the Park Falls area I highly recomend visiting the factory.
It may amaze you, did me anyway.
I don't know if you still can but you used to be able to choose a Rod and actually watch them make it and take it home after the Tour. I did this for one of my Legends rod.
I enjoyed every minute of tour! I enjoyed MY ROD even more! (had to open that door )

SO MUCH GOES INTO A ST. CROIX ROD SO YOU CAN PULL SO MUCH OUT WITH ONE.
Examine a St. Croix rod closely and you’ll find a wealth of innovations and craftsmanship. But, in light of the fact you’d rather be fishing than sitting over a microscope, allow us to explain what makes a St. Croix rod so special. The journey begins in Park Falls, Wisconsin and eventually leads to Fresnillo, Mexico. It is in Park Falls that a rare combination of blazing technology and genuine handcraftsmanship come together to make incomparable fishing tools. A tradition that continues for a select series of rods in Fresnillo.

THE SILICON VALLEY OF FISHING – IMAGINE.
Anglers often think of Park Falls as a high-tech mecca. After all, there is nowhere else incorporating St. Croix’s proprietary ART™ and IPC® technologies. Likewise it’s here, and only here, that rod designers stand side-by-side with engineers bringing their ideas to fruition so smoothly. It’s here you’ll also find the software St. Croix developed so blanks are built to the highest standards in the industry – a tactic that is the foundation leading to superior performance and durability. Laser micrometer and laser alignment machinery assures every guide and handle is put on perfectly straight. There are rod-building tools here that other rod builders can only dream about.

Of course, you can plug in a bunch of machines anywhere there’s electricity. What’s at the heart of a St. Croix rod is the time-honored blend of technology and handcraftsmanship. In Park Falls, over thirty pairs of hands contribute to three dozen different steps before a St. Croix rod is deemed ready to charge into the world looking for action. Thirty pairs of hands attending to every last minute detail. Thirty pairs of hands making sure a rod doesn’t leave Park Falls until it’s ready to take on any fish in the world.

SEE FOR YOURSELF. BETTER YET, FISH IT FOR YOURSELF.
If you’re ever in Park Falls, feel free to swing by and see how a St. Croix rod comes to life. After a thorough testing (of the rod), we’d be happy to hook you up with one of your own to try out wherever you see fit.

ST. CROIX VALUE. KEEPING IT ALIVE IN NORTH AMERICA.
Of course, there are only so many hands in Park Falls, Wisconsin and over the years, the undeniable value of St. Croix rods has meant more and more people have wanted to fish one. Which means every year, more and more rods leave Park Falls for waters throughout the world. Well, it’s gotten to the point where we simply can’t make enough in our Park Falls factory. It’s a small town. (And we’d like to keep it that way.) Faced with a decision of opening another factory or outsourcing to Asia, we concluded the only way to ensure a St. Croix rod remains a St. Croix rod was to construct a second factory in Fresnillo, Mexico. If you happen to be traveling through Fresnillo, you’ll find an almost mirror facility to our state-of-the-art Park Falls operation – same equipment, same manufacturing procedures and the very same quality control protocols. Our Fresnillo facility manufactures a select group of rods that are designed and engineered here in Park Falls. These rods offer the chance for an even greater segment of the fishing population to get their hands on a St. Croix. Rod models currently manufactured in Park Falls will continue to be made in Park Falls. By making sure all our rods are “Handcrafted in North America,” we are able to continue providing anglers with the best value in angling.

Warranty link;
http://www.stcroixrods.com/category/...e_and_warranty

Last edited by joedog; 01-28-12 at 09:50 AM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-12, 03:26 PM   #21
woody

Shimano Crucial

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-12, 05:44 PM   #22
badbrady06
BassFishin.Com Member

Got one of the rods today. Dobyns 7'0" medium fast savvy series. A little shorter on the butt section than I like but, we'll see. Tried a number of different rods. Pretty much everything on this thread and this one won me over. Just gotta go try it out. Hitting dvl in the morning. Then we'll make a decision on the next rod.
Old 01-31-12, 03:45 PM   #23
badbrady06
BassFishin.Com Member

Went home with the stinky smell Sunday. The rod felt nice though. Went to the lake next door today and, fell in love. Only got two in the two hours I was there but the rod works great. I was throwing the homemade finesse jig 1/8oz. Going to have to grab the medium light for dropshotting.
Old 02-01-12, 10:07 PM   #24
finessefishin
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Went home with the stinky smell Sunday. The rod felt nice though. Went to the lake next door today and, fell in love. Only got two in the two hours I was there but the rod works great. I was throwing the homemade finesse jig 1/8oz. Going to have to grab the medium light for dropshotting.
I used to use Dobyns before I started making my own rods, I think you will really like them. I think the Savvy series is the best rod for the price.
finessefishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-12, 10:51 PM   #25
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I think the rods built on SCII blanks are made in Mexico, the Premier, Triumph and Mojo.
My premier says made in America, but the Mojo I know for sure is made in Mexico.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.