Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-01-12, 09:09 PM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default best pitchin jigs and zebco braid

so whats ya favorite brands, i am going to bass pro saturday and wanted to let the monkey out of the cage a bit. also was watchin a youtube vid, can you pitch-flip football jig, i know there head is the ony thing differant, does that make it differant in its techniquie. also i know i asked about BPS brand before, but if colors match to what i like will the bps jigs work.

last but not least through learning pitchin been grinding a lot of braid and i can tell my braid i turning white in some places, is zebco brand descent, tired of spending over 10 bux a pop, thanks
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-12, 09:31 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

As a guy who loves jig fishing, and owned a jig company for several years I would like to weigh in on this. First of all what jig designs will work for you will heavily depend on what you are flipping and pitching them to. Football heads are not very weedless when flipped and pitched into laydowns or grass. I actually pitch roundhead finesse jigs more than an actual flippin jig because we don't have grass around here and once you get good feeling what the jig is coming through, you can get a roundhead finesse jig to come through laydowns very well. Now if the cover is really nasty then a flipping jig might be better. There are a few features that you will want to be picky about with your jig. The absolute most important is the hook. You do not want to have a flipping jig (or any jig for that matter) with a weak hook or a hook or a hook that is too small. You will also want a jig that has a well designed trailer keeper. You can use super glue to help keep your trailer up where it belongs but a good trailer keeper will make a huge difference. If you need a flipping jig then make sure it's a well designed head, and I like recessed line ties but at the minimum I want a flat eye on the hook. A good weed guard will also be important but anymore most jigs all use good weedguards so you should be good to go. As for skirts, 99% of the jigs out there have skirt material that comes from the same company (fishingskirts.com). The number of strands in the skirt may vary slightly but for the most part the skirts will all be pretty much equal. If you like using rattles you might want to make sure that the skirt bands will allow you to do so.
Old 02-01-12, 09:33 PM   #3
wallywallace

thanx, carolina didn't know that for football jigs, guess the big head negate em getting stuck in rocks, i probably need more of them then, thank you
Old 02-01-12, 09:40 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywallace View Post
thanx, carolina didn't know that for football jigs, guess the big head negate em getting stuck in rocks, i probably need more of them then, thank you
Honestly a football head is at it's best in pea gravel areas with scattered rock on them. If there are a lot of rocks they will get hung up fairly easily, and they are very hang up prone in wood or grass. The best head design I have found for areas that have a lot of big rocks is again the roundhead jig. If you get used to feeling the bait come through cover and over rocks you will be able to feel it trying to dig into rocks or limbs before it actually gets hung up, and most of the time a sharp pop of the rod tip will pop the bait up and keep it from digging in and getting hung up. Also the heavier the jig the easier it is to get it hung up lol.
Old 02-01-12, 09:44 PM   #5
wallywallace

alright plan on getting alot, lol got a plano flipside made for em lol, just get alotta differant one,
Old 02-01-12, 09:53 PM   #6
finessefishin
BassFishin.Com Member

Personally I use custom jigs (poison tail and snootie jigs) but I do like some of Strike King and Booyahs designs. As stated earlier, you want a head that will come through cover easily but also gives the jig some action and makes it stand up. Make sure the jig has a flat or recessed line tie, and that the head is fairly streamlined. The hook is also very important. You don't want a hook that is too thick or big because it is hard to penetrate a bass' jaws, but you dont want a hook that is too small or thin because it will bend. Also, you normally have to make some modifications on stock jigs. You will usually need to shorten and thin out the weedguard, and sometimes shorten/ thin out the skirt depending on conditions.
finessefishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 09:07 PM   #7
wallywallace

went a bit jig crazy and got all differant kinds today, one i am lookin foward to is the a jig, alton jones, for some reason it just looked good.
Old 02-05-12, 10:27 AM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywallace View Post
went a bit jig crazy and got all differant kinds today, one i am lookin foward to is the a jig, alton jones, for some reason it just looked good.
The Booyah jigs were my go to before I started pouring my own.

As finesse fishing stated earlier, the poison tail jigs are nice. I just started pouring them this year, and can't wait to use them. The other jig I use a lot is the brush jig. It seems to work better around stiff woody weeks (like reeds) and laydowns. The poison tail will probably replace this jig for pitching pads and soft weeds.

But you'll never know what you prefer till you try a few.

BB
Old 02-09-12, 12:21 AM   #9
james86
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I love War Eagle jigs. I prefer them over Strike-King and Booyah which are the only other brands I've used so my scope is limited.
Old 02-09-12, 09:40 AM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I noticed no one had answered your second question about the braid. Probably because none of us have had experience with Zebco braid. I still wouldn't buy such a cheap braid. The thing with braid is, in the long run, it costs about the same as mono. I've had some braid on some of my reels going on it's 3rd or 4th season. After that, if there's enough left, I'll just reverse it.

Braid will lose it's color regardless of brand and price. That doesn't mean it's time to junk it and respool. If it bothers you, color it with a dark green, brown, or black permanent marker. The first few feet of the line will do. The lightened line doesn't bother me, so I leave it. Usually, the case with me and braid is I run out of it from retying before it wears out. Like I said, you can get 5-6 years out of one spool of braid.

My personal favorite braids right now are the Sufix Performance Braid, and especially the newer Sufix 832 Braid. For a good less expensive alternative, check out Spiderwire Stealth. Costs around $15 and is a decent braid for the price.

BB
Old 02-09-12, 09:43 AM   #11
wallywallace

ok thanks, color change doesnt bother me, just didnt wanna actually put it to use and it break well no problem there thank ya
Old 02-09-12, 06:02 PM   #12
fish4942

I flip Texas rig a lot. Usually Berkley Chigger Craws and Strike King 7” Ochos. Either 40-50lb power pro or 17lb fluorocarbon using 6’9” – 7’3” rod.

That might have been random info as I didn’t read all the post.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 08:06 PM   #13
james86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post

My personal favorite braids right now are the Sufix Performance Braid, and especially the newer Sufix 832 Braid. For a good less expensive alternative, check out Spiderwire Stealth. Costs around $15 and is a decent braid for the price.

BB
Sufix is my favorite as well. I had problems with power pro digging in a lot even with mono backing. I didn't know zebco made braid.
Old 02-09-12, 09:05 PM   #14
wallywallace

i ended up getting some zebco braid on clearnace, i know why, it is almost like yarn, course, thinking my choice in vermillion red was bad exspecially at crawling, i can see the line under water very easily, or heck could be just no fish, anyway will try the suffix
Old 02-12-12, 01:48 PM   #15
Rebbasser

Let us know how it works. Never heard of Zebco braid but that is not unusual given the number of new products always coming out.

I think with red braid I would definitely use a fluorocarbon leader.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.