Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 05-07-12, 10:17 PM   #1
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default BPS rod socks

I just recieved my Rod Socks and they will not go over the last eye closest to the reel seat. Are these things made to expand with a little pressure? It seems if I force them over the eye they might damage it. I am ready to send them back and exchange them for their expandable socks. I know there are other brands but both BPS products are on sale.
Old 05-07-12, 11:52 PM   #2
A-style
BassFishin.Com Member

With the rod glove and stick jackets they make different models. A casting and spinning. The spinning models are considerably larger in diameter. The casting models are smooth as silk going on and coming off unless you really stretch them out after they are on. Is it possible you have a casting model for a spinning rod? Maybe they sent you the wrong type. I'm a big fan of these contraptions so I hope they get you fixed up so you can enjoy them as much as I do.
A-style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 04:43 AM   #3
Kimberly Cook
BassFishin.Com Member

I think it will better for you.......
Protect your valuable fishing equipment out of mud, sand, and the elements. Keep spinning and casting rods getting tangled in your rod locker. Lightweight nylon rod sock slips easily through the vessel and protected by an adjustable elastic band. Has a loop for hanging in storage. Adjust rod 6'-7 ". Color: Black. Imported.

Kimberly Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 11:46 PM   #4
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

bps socks suck A$$,, i took all of mine back,
Old 05-14-12, 12:25 PM   #5
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

which socks did you get?.... i mean there are different ones for the two types of rods and their length. i don't have the bass pro ones but i love mine.....no you shouldn't have to pull on them to get them on or over the eye.....sounds like it could be wrong size
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 01:13 PM   #6
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I use the black nylon ones that are adjustable. I have had to add to the elastic part to fit over longer rods and they work great. I have quite a few of them and discovered a great way to know which technique the rod is for : I got a silver sharpie and write on the rod sock what it is-lipless, jerkbait, jig, T-rig-you get the idea. I can find which rod I am looking for at a glance instead of having to pull out every rod and look at it.
Old 05-14-12, 04:50 PM   #7
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Gentlemen, I bought the casting rod socks for rods up to 7 ft. I am exchanging them for the ones Reb mentioned. I think that's a great idea to label them Reb.
Old 05-15-12, 12:06 PM   #8
ydoc
BassFishin.Com Member

I have casting rods, but when I went to BPS, all they had were the "spinning" socks. They're long enough, but are also a little bit large (diameter).

They slip on/off REALLY easy. I also fish with snaps and slip the snap onto the rod-guide foot until I go fishing the next time. I've found that the "mesH' of the sock will catch on the open snap wire and is a PITA to get untangled. I fixed that be hooking the snap/hook closer to the reel.

The OTHER "little complaint" I have is that I wish there was some kind of elastic loop or maybe Velcro strap at the open end to hold the sock on/down on the rod. As it is, I've threaded a heavy rubber band around the collar (where it's folded back over itself) and slip the other end of the band over my reel handle. Yeah, it works OK... just wish that the cover/sock already had that feature.

OTHERWISE <g> I love 'em and they have a great price-point!!! <g>
ydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12, 08:07 AM   #9
eagle777
BassFishin.Com Member

i just replaced all my mesh socks with...falcon rod socks..full material, strap to use if needed for longer poles, and a card to write whats tied on..
eagle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 02:57 PM   #10
BrownHL
BassFishin.Com Member

Anything but BPS rod covers. I use Cabelas because you can adjust them to rod length with their velcro strip. Had mine for 10 years now.
BrownHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-12, 05:12 PM   #11
BrownHL
BassFishin.Com Member

Correction, I am only referring to the black covers with the stretch straps. I just noticed that BPS is now selling the rod socks type covers.
BrownHL is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.