Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-12, 11:06 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Shorebound anglers...a little known fact of encouragement

This is good info to store for your game show apearance.
Woo Daves said, "there is always more fish in shallow water than most anglers could imagine".

Did you know that during all of the 43 Bassmaster Clasics, exactly ONE event was won in deeper than six feet of water and that one was won in less than 10 feet.

Another game show fact;
More fish are caught on soft plastics than all other lures combined.

If your not using plastics from shore, you may want to reconsider.

HAVE FUN, CATCH FISH, BE SAFE!
Old 06-04-12, 11:36 AM   #2
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Really? I swear I remember a classic being won, with the angler using deep cranks(and getting down on his knees, sticking his rod in the water to get even deeper), so had to be more than 10'??? I am not really into the whole tourney scene, so I don't remember specifics, but it was a few years ago.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 02:50 PM   #3
MIbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
Really? I swear I remember a classic being won, with the angler using deep cranks(and getting down on his knees, sticking his rod in the water to get even deeper), so had to be more than 10'??? I am not really into the whole tourney scene, so I don't remember specifics, but it was a few years ago.
Not a Classic. That was just an Elite Series on Falcon or Amistad.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 06:07 PM   #4
bassinbob

I'm pretty sure Paul Elais won a Bassmasters Classic doing the kneel and reel.
Old 06-04-12, 07:11 PM   #5
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
I'm pretty sure Paul Elais won a Bassmasters Classic doing the kneel and reel.
Yeah he did, in 1982. He also used it on Lake Falcon in a 2008 Elite Series event. He set the all time weight record for a 4 day tournament on Falcon.

http://www.weather.com/sports-rec/ou...eling-20120330
Old 06-04-12, 07:16 PM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

About a year ago, I read an article about bass behavior that was the result of a long study. Dang if I can remember which magazine it was in. Anyways, the article said that the largest of the bass spend the majority of their time in water 8-12 foot deep. They will venture in shallow or slip deeper from time to time, but the 8-12 foot depth range is their main hangout.
Old 06-04-12, 11:42 PM   #7
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
This is good info to store for your game show apearance.
Woo Daves said, "there is always more fish in shallow water than most anglers could imagine".
One could well state that "there are always more fish in deep water than most anglers could imagine"
You could take both those statements to the bank.
"more fish" = ambiguous
"most fisherman" = vague
"anglers could imagine" = conjecture

Did you know that during all of the 43 Bassmaster Clasics, exactly ONE event was won in deeper than six feet of water and that one was won in less than 10 feet.
??? You weigh in 5 fish a day...who's to say which fish won? It's all cumulative. It's like a smoker saying "that cig I smoked 4/11/93 @ 9am is the one that killed me."

Another game show fact;
More fish are caught on soft plastics than all other lures combined.
Could it be possible that more soft plastics are thrown than all other lures combined??

If your not using plastics from shore, you may want to reconsider.

HAVE FUN, CATCH FISH, BE SAFE!
While it's generally true that a shallow fish is a biting fish........
Old 06-05-12, 12:06 AM   #8
joedog

Woo Davis is the one who stated the Classic fact too.
Be honest I really wasn't sure but who am I to doubt Woo?
Also I knew that you folks would know and tell the true facts, thanks.

Ken, I'm sure there are more plastics thrown and more fish caught hence should at least give it a try.

Anyone read the title?
Everyone miss the word 'encouragement'?
Old 06-05-12, 08:32 AM   #9
MIbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Yeah he did, in 1982. He also used it on Lake Falcon in a 2008 Elite Series event. He set the all time weight record for a 4 day tournament on Falcon.

http://www.weather.com/sports-rec/ou...eling-20120330
Nice! I was 30% correct.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 09:47 AM   #10
aikenyounggun

I can name two classics I can say for sure that were won deeper than 10 feet. The Paul Elias one popped up immediately, as stated earlier, it made "kneeling and reeling" famous. And the classic on hartwell (09? 08?, recently anyway) was won by Alton Jones throwing a mop jig on a transition line from small rock to larger rock in like 12 to 15 feet plus.

But, not to fight over that. I have caught hundreds of fish off the shore, and a couple 6 lbers. I have always funny how most people in a boat try to cast as close to the shore as possible, and while on land you throw as far out as possible.
Old 06-05-12, 09:49 AM   #11
aikenyounggun

Oh, and I looked at my shirt from the hartwell classic, it was 2008. Just to clarify.
Old 06-05-12, 06:37 PM   #12
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
. I have always funny how most people in a boat try to cast as close to the shore as possible, and while on land you throw as far out as possible.
Your right AYG. Reminds me that in 97 when we moved to SC from Ga, there was Lottery in Ga but no Poker Machines. In SC there was no Lottery but Poker Machines everywhere. The I-20 bridge over the Savannah River between states was a madhouse on Fri afternoon
Chain of Fools
Old 06-06-12, 11:07 PM   #13
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
I have always found it funny how most people in a boat try to cast as close to the shore as possible, and while on land you throw as far out as possible.
I got yelled at by a shore fisherman the other day for parking my boat next to the shore on a point and casting out...I invited him in, and to my surprise he accepted. Neither of us caught a thing, at the spot. He suggested we try a spot he always wanted to fish but it was too difficult to do from shore due to the terrain. It was a steep bluff, I had fished before, pulled right up to the rock cliff. BAM! four cast, four fish. After a couple more spots, and a few more fish(and small tour of the lake)dropped him off at his point, and all he talked about was getting off that damn bank, "gotta get me a boat!".
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 06:24 AM   #14
kennethdaysale

Quote:
I got yelled at by a shore fisherman the other day for parking my boat next to the shore on a point and casting out...he invited me to deboat and join him on an extra 5 gal bucket(padded!) he brought for just such an occasion, and to my surprise I accepted. Neither of us caught a thing, at the spot. I suggested we try a spot I always wanted to fish but it was too difficult to do from a boat due to the shallow water. It was a pad field I had seen before, walked right up to the pads!. BAM! four cast, four fish. After a couple more spots, and a few more fish(and a small stroll through a charming thicket of poison ivy and knee deep mud along the shore)he graciously gave me a piggyback ride back to my boat, and all I could talk about was selling my boat. We have become fast friends and can text for hours about who has the best lug pattern on their boots, best pickle buckets, shortest rods and who gets to walk behind the other and dodge the limbs, snakes and spiders on our next wetland trek!.
Oh and by the way his name is Pat and he has taught me some awesome new Techno dance moves lately while we are twitching our wacky worms
.................................................. ............................................

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 06-07-12 at 06:50 AM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 03:15 PM   #15
joedog

Quote:
I got yelled at by a shore fisherman the other day for parking my boat next to the shore on a point and casting out...I invited him in, and to my surprise he accepted. Neither of us caught a thing, at the spot. He suggested we try a spot he always wanted to fish but it was too difficult to do from shore due to the terrain. It was a steep bluff, I had fished before, pulled right up to the rock cliff. BAM! four cast, four fish. After a couple more spots, and a few more fish(and small tour of the lake)dropped him off at his point, and all he talked about was getting off that damn bank, "gotta get me a boat!".
Dog that is the flat out NEATEST thing I've heard anyone doing this YEAR!

From all us shorebusters, THANKS!
Old 06-07-12, 03:32 PM   #16
merc1997
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
About a year ago, I read an article about bass behavior that was the result of a long study. Dang if I can remember which magazine it was in. Anyways, the article said that the largest of the bass spend the majority of their time in water 8-12 foot deep. They will venture in shallow or slip deeper from time to time, but the 8-12 foot depth range is their main hangout.
that statement of depth 8-12ft would be true if all lakes were the same to hold the bigger fish in that range. lakes that are deep and clear such as table rock and lots of others the majority of the big fish live in deeper water than that the majority of the year. most of the year the thermocline in table rock is 20 ft. or deeper. it seems to me that there is a whole lot of magazine articles that catch a whole lot more fisherman than they do fish. the writers have to write about something right or wrong to justify their jobs.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-12, 05:52 PM   #17
jason_cov@msn.com
BassFishin.Com Member

I have done a lot of shore fishing and a lot of boat fishing--maybe even equal. I caught some of my biggest bass from shore. I caught a 10 pound bass from shore in the Orlando area. I also caught a 9 pound bass from the shore in Virginia. I have caught numerous bass 5-8 pounds from the shore in Texas. However, there are places where you just have to have a boat to get in the productive area, like in California where the banks are too steep to walk and the fish are on deep water structure. I still fish some of those lakes from the shore where I can but it is really tough. I say try a bit of both.
jason_cov@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.