Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-30-12, 12:01 AM   #1
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Reel replacement parts

Anyone have a good source they're willing to leak for reel replacement parts? I need to find a drag spring for my Citica. I've googled it and came up with nothing. I can find bearings and drag washers for it, but not springs.

I took my reel apart today to clean it and wah-la that was missing. The drag washers are shot too! Not to go off on a tangent; if anyone read my other post about this reel I bought I came to the realization the guy I bought it off was not very competent. This reel had never ever been cleaned! Alright...enough, LOL!

Anyways I need to find one of these springs. I'll be ordering new washers and bearings too; Pro Reel if I run into problems it's coming your way for repairs!

Going to attempt a "micro-supertune" of my own

As always...Thanks y'all!
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 01:43 AM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use Southwestern for parts. They are a authorized warranty center for Daiwa and Shimano and probably others. They've always had what I needed. They are here local so I can just go there, I'm not sure if you can order stuff online or not. You might have to call or email them to get the part you need. If I can help in any way, they are pretty close to me, just let me know.
http://www.southwesternparts.com/

Mikes Reel Repair is another place to get parts but I've had really bad luck getting stuff from them in a timely manner. They are in Canada. I don't recommend ordering from them.

For drag washers, I like the Carbontex washers sold by Smooth Drag. They are inexpensive ($8) and a great upgrade. I use Cal's Universal Reel and Drag Grease on mine.
http://www.smoothdrag.com/

If you choose to go with new spool bearings, I use Boca Orange Seals. They are a pricey upgrade but make a huge difference in casting. I've gradually put them in a bunch of my reels. I can't afford to do a bunch of reels at one time but to me, they are worth the money.
http://www.bocabearings.com/search.a...POOL)&Feature=

You can order the bearings and drag washers directly and ProReel usually stocks them as well.
Old 06-30-12, 10:18 AM   #3
USMCbassman

Jrob- Great info....Thank you! Good to know about Mikes; after some more digging around last night I found the spring on Mikes website and was going to order this morning. However, I don't have patience for business' who are providing a service that you pay for and are slow.

I'll check out SW parts and if I need any assistance I'll let you know. I greatly appreciate the offer!

I've been eyeballing the orange seal bearings and like you they will eventually make their way into my reels. I, too, can't afford to do a bunch of reels at one time.

Thanks again!
Old 06-30-12, 10:32 AM   #4
bassboogieman

$30 EACH for orange seals Is there a generic version? Holy crap, I don't mind paying for good stuff, but to put 2 - 3 in each reel is a hefty chunk of change and I see where this would be budget buster for many to do a half dozen reels at one shot. I've never upgraded bearings, never thought about it after spending $200+ on a reel (and I usually trade them in after 2 - 3 years), but you have me thinking about it once I downsize to my kayak based combo count. As I haven't done it, I'm guessing here, but these bearing are the ones on and supporting the spool shaft? So with one on each end of the shaft and one on it, I'll need 3 per reel? Any others you upgrade to this quality bearing? I hope not 3 is expensive enough.

UPDATE, guess I don't have to think about them - they are not available for my Pflueger Patriarch XT's. BUT if the REVO STX bearings would fit they are $45 EACH. Nope, not going to spend $150 to upgrade a $250 reel - until, of course they wear out, and the upgrade won't be as bad over normal replacement bearings. These reels have been discontinued and I love them, so will be kept for the remainder of my fishing days. Man, I gotta keep this information away from my bait monkey.......................

Last edited by bassboogieman; 06-30-12 at 10:42 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 11:13 AM   #5
USMCbassman

LOL @ boogieman! I hear you, I went to BOCA's website and for Curado's they have a kit that runs 65 bucks (not sure what it includes though the description didn't specify) and for the Citica they run 30 just for the spool bearings. They come in pairs though so you're only paying 15 a bearing, LOL! I found another site that has ABEC 7 ceramic bearings for Shimano and they're 20 a pair (one side it open though). I'd like to find someone who has used these specific ones and see if they're worth saving the 10 bucks. I may just jump on that grenade and give them a shot...

You can get ZPI ABEC-7's off ebay for 54.99 a pair o.O
Old 06-30-12, 12:22 PM   #6
Jrob78

USMCbassman, you're very welcome, glad to help. I go to Southwestern pretty often anyway, they also have a tackle shop.

USMCbassman has it right, The link I posted was for a set of 2 bearings. The bearings are $15 each and you really only need to replace the 2 spool bearings. Boca sells the bearings individually and also in sets for popular reels. Most reels only use a few different bearing sizes, the Patriarchs are probably the same size as the Revo's, I haven't done any of my Pflueger's yet though so I'm not 100% sure.

The bearings are ceramic and are normally ran with the seals off. Because ceramic is harder than steel, they can be run dry (although most people still lube them). They basically allow you to cast just as far or farther with much less effort. They are also a little bit louder than steel bearings.

One other thing, if you plan on changing out your spool bearings on reels that aren't Shimano E series reels, you will need a pair of spool pin pliers. The bearing that is mounted on the spool shaft is held on with a pin that runs through the shaft. This pin is nearly impossible to get out without the proper tool or risking serious damage to the spool.
Old 06-30-12, 01:22 PM   #7
pro reel

In the first place guys, you should not buy the bearing kits. Boca has done a fair job of putting these kits together, but they get there info from submisions and several sizes are wrong. It's best to just measure your own bearings or check with me or someone that knows the sizes. In addition to that, many of the kits include bearings that are of no benefit to upgrade, at least not to an OS 7 bearing. many kits include pinion bearings. Pinion bearings spin very slow, there is no benefit to having a better than stock bearing there. If the pinon bearing needs replaced due to wear or corrosion, it should be replaced with least expensive quality bearing you can get. A standard abec 5 stainless bearing is just fine there. Some kits are for every bearing in the reel. While it won't hurt anything to replace them all with expensive bearings, it sure won't help anything either. As for price, I sell most abec 7 OS hybrids for $12 to $14 each. Check with me to see if I have some in stock and I can save you some money. If I don't have them, I can get them with my next order, if your not in a big hurry. Another thing to consider is do you really need the most expensive bearings you can get? I have been using the Abec 5 rated ceramic hybrids called the lightning series. These generally sell for less then $10 each and IMO are as good as you could posibly need in a reel. Although the long free spin times of the OS 7 bearings are very impressive, it doesn't mean that your reel will cast tremendously better. You still have to overcome gravity and line resistance, therefore there is a certain point in bearing quality that once you get , you just don't need better. I have had several very experienced casters try both, and it looks like very few people can tell the difference in casting with any consistency. The lightning bearings have standard side shields on them, which can be a good thing as it will help to keep grit out. I use a very thin oil to lube them for corrosion protection.
As for the spring you need, are you refering to the curved washer or beleville washer? It's commonly called a drag spring, I just want to be sure we are talking about the same thing. If so, I have dozens and will send you one for a buck plus shipping. Also, anytime you need parts for a reel, you should always check with the manufacturer first. Jrob would be an exception as he lives close to Southwestern parts and can just walk in, anyone else will pay extra for the part plus shipping. If shimano customer service has your parts, they will be the cheapest on price and shipping, plus they often just send small parts to a customer at no charge at all. let me know if I can help you with any parts. One other note I would add. If any of you need expensive parts for reels, such as spools frames etc. Check with me on those also. I have a parts dealer account with most brands and will pass along a discount to you.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.