Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 07-02-12, 12:43 AM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Current?

Bass like current in the warm weather right? Well my local lake has got quite a bit of that.

The first and most important part of this thread:
How do you handle current? Fish position, what to throw, etc.. Feel free to click reply now if you don't want to read on.

The second, and more specific part of this thread:

Here we have two lakes. Upper and Lower Red lake, which are separated by a dam. The lakes were formed when they dammed the Red River, so the current is definitely present. The lakes are a little less than 100 acres each, with the Lower being the one I fish the most. Their's two sports that I can fish well from shore, both have good current flow.

The first sport, is right below the "power house". Here the water from The Upper flows into the Lower. It's shallow here and quite rocky. I've included a satellite image of the area for a visual, and a topo map.

(Flow: East - West)

The second is separated by a road with a bridge connecting the two areas. On the north side of the Road, we have Miller Creek (a small trout creek with cool water) that flows in. The south side, we have the rest of lake, and the flow under the bridge. By the bridge we have a small amount of rip rap. I've also included a satellite image and topo map.

(Flow From Mill Creek: North - South; from lake: East- West)

At the moment, the water is low and clear due to the lake of rain. And as you can see from the pics, we have grass... and lots of it.

Topo Map: http://dnr.wi.gov/lakes/maps/DNR/0327800a.pdf

So with all the information given, how would you attack these areas?
Old 07-03-12, 06:06 AM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The fish will be facing the current and tucked in behind any breaks. Big reaction baits bounced off the rocks right in front of them usually are more than they can stand.
Old 07-03-12, 03:50 PM   #3
3dkicker

I'd go after them with the following:
Topwater.....weedless for the most part. Buzzbait, Frog, Pop-R type, etc

Subsurface baits (1-3')......spinnerbait, chatterbait, and crankbait or go a little slower with floating worm, senko, or fluke.

Bottom.....craw, worm, lizard, etc

Key I find to fish in moving water is sometimes you have to match the bait with the flow of the water (floating worm/senko) or go really light on the weight with the craw/worm/lizard. Other times having a fast moving bait does the trick and you can go with the heavier weight on the plastics or with the moving bait.

Try them all and see what happens. I'd work the channels on both sides of the bridge and work the grass edges. Fish will relate to the moving water. Then I'd go and play in the slack water areas and the pads/reeds.
Old 07-03-12, 04:24 PM   #4
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Think "edges"

I agree with everything so far. I would add that any time you see a current line, change in depth, change in bottom configuration, even a shadow line, throw at it. I tend to start with drifting something (Senko, floating jerkbait) that I can twitch and retrieve slowly as the current moves it downstream. If that does not work, I switch to a faster retrieve, using crankbaits and spinnerbaits. If that does not work, I go to bouncing jigs and tubes off the bottom.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-12, 08:21 AM   #5
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

It always seemed strange to me when I learned from reading that there is also a pad in front of breaks in a current as well as following them that fish will also utilize often when feeding. I think the article also stated that your chances of finding them in front are not guaranteed, in that they seem to prefer the ones posted by kennethdaysale, but for the sake of being thorough you may want to cast a couple toward the front or perhaps position the lure and let it drift down and hit the object on the drift. Good Fishing, Mac

Afterthought: Drifting a weightless soft plastic into the front pad just might be the best way to utilize a moderate to slow current....
Could also drift it tight to the side of the break and allowing it to drift the after pad area as well.

Last edited by Mac2; 07-04-12 at 08:31 AM.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-12, 01:01 PM   #6
Bassboss

Thanks for the help guys, I'll definitely try everything suggested.
Old 07-06-12, 03:56 PM   #7
3dkicker

So???? How'd you do??? You get out??
Old 07-07-12, 12:16 PM   #8
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
So???? How'd you do??? You get out??
Yup!

Senko's were doing very well, light texas rigs picked a few up as well. Too weedy (mossy?) for a crankbait, though. Haven't gone to the first spot listed, but I think I'll head out a little bit to try my luck.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.