Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-03-06, 03:50 PM   #1
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Redneck Engineering

I was driving past a pond earlier this week and had about 5 minutes to kill so I figured I stop, check out the water level, clarity, etc. While out on the pier I noticed somebody had left a used plastic worm. Even though it appeared to be an ordinary plastic worm I picked it up (the bait monkey told me to). Upon further inspection I noticed what appeared to be Redneck Engineering at its FINEST! Apparently this Redneck had an IQ higher than a 12 pack. What they did was cut a slit in the body of the worm, hollowed out part of the worm then inserted a wad of absorbant material. They then glued everything back together. I'm not exactly sure what this material was but it was somewhat like a cottonball/dobbie pad mix. It was absorbant so it would hold the scent longer, but it was also more firm than a cotton ball but a little softer than a dobbie pad. This material did a good job adding a texture to the worm. It was now harder than your typical plastic worm, but now firm and a little course, but not too firm.
Old 06-03-06, 04:28 PM   #2
crankybait

i had an idea like that, only with alka seltzer and a small hole leading to the seltzer. unfortunately i couldnt get it stuck back together
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-06, 05:34 PM   #3
cullin8s
BassFishin.Com Active Member

old idea, they called them "kangaroo" worms but it was fad in the 80's, you can probably find pictures on google. They weren't a bad idea, but they also didn't seem to get any more bites than other worms no matter what you put in the "pouch"
Old 06-05-06, 12:42 PM   #4
Captmikestarrett

Default Culprit

Culprit marketed a worm just like that about eight years ago. Called the "sticky worm" with loop (velcro) materal on one side so the worm would hold scent and get stuck in a basses teeth.

Capt Mike
Old 06-05-06, 01:07 PM   #5
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I remember having those culprits and also the kangaroo pouch idea, wasn't bad for inserting glass bead of rattles
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-06, 04:33 PM   #6
Raul

Capt. I have some of those sticky worms left, I stepped on them by pure necessity, I needed 7.5 in Culprit ribbon tail worms in red shad but they didnīt have the "regular" ones at Academy, I looked at those and purchased a couple of bags, not because they were "sticky" just beacues they were ribbon tails in red shad with a piece of velcro, they worked fine......as regular 7.5 in ribbontails, as for the stickiness, oh well, nothing ever got "sticked" to them thatīs for shure.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-06, 08:57 AM   #7
Mac3
BassFishin.Com Member

Putting small pieces of balsa wood into the back end of weighted worms would make the tail of the worm rise up off the bottom. I always attributed this tip to the southern way of home made tricks.

Also, from Kentucky, I met a man who, as a boy, would run white thread pieces through raisins with a fine needle...and after the individual raisins were threaded through the sides several times, would impale the raisin on a small hook. They then were set out on a board on the back porch sunlight to dry. After several days, the raisins were shrunk and dry...... They fished these home made spiders successfully for bream.
Mac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-06, 09:41 AM   #8
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac3
Putting small pieces of balsa wood into the back end of weighted worms would make the tail of the worm rise up off the bottom. I always attributed this tip to the southern way of home made tricks.

Also, from Kentucky, I met a man who, as a boy, would run white thread pieces through raisins with a fine needle...and after the individual raisins were threaded through the sides several times, would impale the raisin on a small hook. They then were set out on a board on the back porch sunlight to dry. After several days, the raisins were shrunk and dry...... They fished these home made spiders successfully for bream.
I like the spider idea, keep 'em coming.
Old 06-06-06, 05:06 PM   #9
crankybait

spider has been done. mymomisbeckybaits did that
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.