Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 03-12-07, 08:02 PM   #1
ihateforwards
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to ihateforwards
Default How to use rubber worms

I'm just a beginner at fishing, and I spend most of my time at a pond in my backyard. Right now, no fish are biting and what I am aiming for is bass right now. The water is clear, the wind is slightly blowing (3 mph) at an east direction, and it is partly cloudy, partly sunny. But I don't get how to use rubber worms successfully, do you reel it in slowly, or do you let it sit there in the water? It's also March 12th (just in case) and the water temperature I believe is around 50-60 F. Thanks!

Last edited by ihateforwards; 03-12-07 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Adding water temp.
ihateforwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-07, 09:07 PM   #2
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

well, plastics were trouble for me too... Try this
1. buy a stickbait type. They look like cigars. (WAveworm, Senko, Ect.)
2. buy some number 3 octopus hooks
3. stick hook in middle of worm
4. cast out, let it sit for 2 minutes
5. hop it back
So simple, so effective.
Old 03-12-07, 09:08 PM   #3
ihateforwards

So I don't have to use a bobber or a sinker or any other line type equipment?
Old 03-12-07, 09:11 PM   #4
crankybait

you got it Simple, innit?
Old 03-12-07, 09:15 PM   #5
ihateforwards

yep, now my question is should I add any salt or pepper or smell to that worm to attract not only bass, but catfish, etc.?
Old 03-12-07, 09:21 PM   #6
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

Quote:
But I don't get how to use rubber worms successfully, do you reel it in slowly, or do you let it sit there in the water?
The answer to that is yes . It depends on what the fish want. What I mean is worms are very versatile. You can reel them straight in, stop and go, let them sit on the bottom-you just have to experiment and see what the fish want. This time of year fishing slower is your best bet-the cold water keeps the fish from being real active.

There are several ways to fish soft plastics. the most common is a Texas rig, which consists of a worm, a hook, and a bullet sinker:

Fishing it with a lift and drop. the hit will usually come on the fall. You can also rig it like this and fish it weightless-cast it out and work it with gentle twitches of the rod tip.

the other way worms are real effective is wacky rigging them:

Yes, that goofy looking rig catches fish. A LOT of fish. Cast it out, let it settle and then work it with gentle twitches of the rod tip. Try these 3 methods and you will most likely catch a few!
Old 03-12-07, 09:22 PM   #7
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

fishing plastic worms isn't something I do often unless they are finesse worms. For your run of the mill curl tail, you'll want a little weight(my opinion) so that when yougive it hops or jerks, it'll move fast enough for the tail to wiggle. You can fish them weightless as well(I'd recommend for beginners).

Anyway, you can use any hook, really...but most people will use an Extra wide Gap or an EWG hook. Look up texas rigging on the internet if youdon't know what it is, then rig your worm that way..but remember to not include the weight. After that, just cast it out...let it sink..swim it a little, hop it back to you.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-07, 09:22 PM   #8
ihateforwards

Ok thanks!
Old 03-12-07, 10:51 PM   #9
hackattack

a weightless stickbait should destroy them!
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-07, 11:05 AM   #10
Snake2715

Welcome,

Do some reading and start to form your own opinions and tactics...

I was in your shoes a year or so ago and am excited as ever to get out there this year for real. I missed prespawn and spawn last year.
Old 03-19-07, 09:00 PM   #11
WIUbassin

Check out this link it is to a web video HuckFinn posted. Really good if you want to actually see it done.
http://hobbies.expertvillage.com/vid...hing-senko.htm
Old 03-19-07, 09:08 PM   #12
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait View Post
Simple, innit?

whoa hold da phone.. i know use hick red necks tend to rub off but cranky using jeff foxworthless's sayings is just WRONG!!!!

zooker
Old 03-22-07, 06:31 AM   #13
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

For me the most productive post spawn monster bait is:
http://www.in-fisherman.com/magazine...orm/index.html
Old 03-26-07, 06:28 PM   #14
Rebbasser

Shoot, Patrick, I've been using a variation of that for years. Tie a swivel on your line, then a short leader and a worm hook. Take a straight tailed worm like a trickworm and rig it so there is a kink in it. Cast it out, work it fast, and it looks like it is alive in the water. Pink seems to work better than all other colors.
Old 03-28-07, 11:54 AM   #15
Bob60
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Rubber(plastic)worms

THE WORM is my most favored bait and the one I fish most of the time. So here is my humble opinon. Since they are fairly cheap get several styles, colors,and lengths. Get some bullet weights (1/8th to 1/4 oz.) Get off the internet and on to the pond . The Bass will tell you how they want it. ie: fast/slow , hopped ,dragged etc. I've never caught a Bass with my computer. Hope ya catch a BIG UN!!!!!!!!
Bob60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 03:33 PM   #16
Snake2715

Patrick and Rebbasser.. I forgot all about that method... I will have to try that this year for sure.
Old 04-03-07, 05:58 AM   #17
FlyRod

Ihate,

Word to the wise...IF you are going to Wacky Rig a soft stick (or anything else, for that matter,) invest in some 2/0 Gamakatsu WEEDLESS Finesse hooks and learn how to keep the guards adjusted. Unless you are fishing a body of water that is devoid of wood or weed and has the bottom shape and texture of a porcelain bathtub, you will be farrrrrrrr better off.
For Wackifying smaller diameter plastics, such a 4" Tiki Stik, 4" YUM Dinger, or Zoom Finesse Worm, I use the same hook, only in the 1/0 size.
You won't miss many, if any, fish due to the weedguard but you will spend more time fishing and less time trying to free a snag or retying.
Now, let us speak of O-rings...When Wacky-ing (heh!) you will lose fewer worms/stix/whatever if you slip a tightly fitting O-ring over the lure where you want the hook to be. Then, you hook through the ring and set your weedguard. IF you select the proper sized O-ring, your bait will suffer less wear and tear than if you simply place the hook through the body of the lure. This especially true when fishing Tikis, Dingers, Senkos, etc, since their high salt content makes them VERY fragile.
If you do experience "slip out", then you still use the O-ring but take a LITTLE bite into the plastic when hooking up.
For the larger plastic sticks, you can buy #5 and #6 O-rings (The Senko is thicker than the others and might require the larger #6, the others do well with a #5.) For the 4"-ers, a #46 O-ring is perfect. You can get these at any hardware or plumbing supply store.
Once you catch a few fish in this manner, you'll become a faithful user of these seemingly "do nothing" lures.
So far as attractants go, note that all the brands mentioned are impregnated with some sort of disgusting gunk as well a LOT of salt. Still, I always rub the tiniest droplet of Kick 'N Bass or some similar stuff on the bait. Superstition, mostly. I use the KNB Garlic, Anise Shad, and sometimes the Crawfish.
Note: Since so many pickups/bites are so subtle, leading to fatally hooked fish, please try to acquire and use the most sensitive rod you can manage to buy. For my part, I fish these baits on BRAID with a P-Line Fluoro leader...mebbe 6-7 feet for the leader. This greatly increases my chance to detect a bite and get a hookset BEFORE the fish has taken it too deeply.
I'm pretty much a catch-and-release guy, y'see, and I hate killing a fish.
You'll need to learn and practice tieing the dreaded J-Knot to attach the leader, sad to say, but it IS the best for the purpose.
Summation: WEEDLESS 'Katsu
O-ring of appropriate size.
Braid
Fluoro leader
J-Knot (groan!)

Next week: "Weighting your Wacky!" Tune in!

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.