Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 04-02-07, 08:50 PM   #1
WallStreetAmigo
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default determining depth/dropoff/suspending fish etc

Any ideas on the best way to determine depths and dropoffs when fishing from shore? I've been trying to find a fishfinder that can be cast out to determine these things and even help find where the fish are suspending. If you're in a boat the fishfinder does a lot of the work, but what does a shore fisherman do to help narrow down these things?

Please note that I am quite new to fishing and do not have the ability to determine very much important information about a body of water through my lure, rod, and line.....hopefully this will eventually happen with more practice but for now I would rather have help finding the fish so I can work on my presentations!

I welcome any advice you guys and gals might have for me.
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-07, 09:31 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Humminbird makes the type depthfinder you are looking for called a Smartcast.

Take a look at the terrain. If the bank is steep, it will continue steep under water. If you have a creek coming in you can find the contour with a bottom bumping bait like a Carolina rig. If you have trees in the water, look to see if there are any leaning towards each other-that usually indicates a creek channel between them.

Your tackle can help, too-you can somewhat tell the bottom contour with bottom bumping baits like a Carolina rig or deep running crankbait.

Another great way is to find a topographic map of the area you are fishing. It will show you the contours you can't see and may show some things you did not know was there.
Old 04-03-07, 04:42 PM   #3
bassbooger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You can also try mapquest. If you can find the place you are fishing at and click on aerial view, sometimes you can get a good close up. You would be surprised what you can see that is under the water surface when a picture is taken from above.
Old 04-03-07, 07:33 PM   #4
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Good suggestions, ans suspending fish is gonna be almost impossible, unless you can see them(good luck), or you have a depth finder. I promise they won't tell you where they are LOL. Another trick that has been mentioned on here several times(not by me), is to use a slip bobber or even just a bobber, and lengthen the line with a heavy weight till it stops. I know that sounds weird but it can and will work to find different depths. For example, put a heavy weight on a bobber with say 4' of line. Cast it out, and slowly retrieve until it touches bottom. Then you now know where 4' of water depth starts. Then take 5 feet of line under the bobber and repeat. Do this until you find the different depth changes around the pond. Or just wade out there LOL. But truly if the water is somewhat clear a snorkel and mask will go a long way.

Lizards

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.