Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 04-03-07, 02:27 AM   #1
MadGary
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Whats my rod good for..

I just started fishing, and I had a 6'6 Medium Light Action, 4-10 pound rod layin around the house. I noticed that you guys kept saying that a MH ( I assume that means Medium / Heavy action) is probably the best choice for an all around pole. But, what would my pole, since its a Medium / light, be best for?
MadGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-07, 05:25 AM   #2
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Mad,

My first thought, as it applies to bass fishing, is that it might make an acceptable dropshot or shakyhead rod. I'm assuming this is a spinning rod, based on the specs. If it is a casting rod, it can still be used effectively for dropshotting though not very good for shakyheading.
As well, you might be able to toss SMALL spinnerbaits (1/8 oz, both overhead and inline types), tiny cranks and lipless cranks, such as 1/8 oz RatlTraps and the smallest Rapalas, even very small topwaters.
Of course, it'll make a dandy crappie rod too.
Your sig does not indicate your locale, but if there some accessible small streams and creeks, especially if SAFELY and legally wadeable ones, you can have a ton of fun fishing small lures for whatever species might be available therein. I'm thinking smallmouth and other bass, some nice sunfish, and so on.
I'd recommend you install a reel balanced to the rod and use the best line you can afford. Pay close attention to tying the appropriate knots, and check the line often for fraying and nicks.
If you'll tell me the make and model, I'll be able to offer a little more advice/opinion.

FlyRod
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-07, 12:31 PM   #3
MadGary
BassFishin.Com Member

Default My Rod

Its a spinning Abu Garcia Agenda Rod. I found the reel that goes with it; its also a Abu Garcia Agenda reel.

I also have a Shimano Sinora 4000FA,8-12 pound test, spinning reel.
Would a Shimano sojourn, 7'foot, 6-14 test, power medium fast action rod be ok with it? or whats a good way to tell if a rod and reel are balanced?

Thx for the help

Last edited by MadGary; 04-03-07 at 12:38 PM.
MadGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-07, 08:22 PM   #4
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGary View Post
Its a spinning Abu Garcia Agenda Rod. I found the reel that goes with it; its also a Abu Garcia Agenda reel.

I also have a Shimano Sinora 4000FA,8-12 pound test, spinning reel.
Would a Shimano sojourn, 7'foot, 6-14 test, power medium fast action rod be ok with it? or whats a good way to tell if a rod and reel are balanced?

Thx for the help
Mad,

OK so far with the light rig, as discussed earlier.
For a reel so large as a 4000 type, and thinking you might want to heave spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, toads, jigs, and soft plastic with 1/8-1/2 ounce weights, I'd recommend the best 7-7.5 foot Medium Heavy, fast tip, rod you can afford. Happily, there are many out there that perform well, for under 100 bux. This combo would serve well enough for medium to large sized cranks and lipless cranks too, as well as for the 5-6" Senko, Tiki Stix, YUM Dingers, etc.
A 4000 sized reel will accomodate that type rod, with better balance, and if you can obtain a spare spool for it, load one spool with P-line FloroClear in 12 lb test and the other with 30 lb braid. Learn the dreaded J-Knot in order to attach a pure fluoro leader. Buy the 25 meter spool of P-Line Fluorocarbon leader material and apply 5-7' lengths as leader on the braid. I'd recommend 12-15 lb test, depending on conditions in the waters you mainly fish.
If you cannot obtain a spare spool, go with the FloroClear. If you get a spare, make sure it's metal, not graphite. If it IS 'phite, do NOT load that one with braid. Braid will eat it up sooner or later.
Balance? Important in two senses of the word. First, there's balancing the various components of a given setup so that they compliment, rather than hinder, each other. Then there's balance as it applies to ergonomics...wear and tear on YOU. For the latter, if the rod, with reel and line, will balance on a finger, hopefully VERY close to the front of the reel foot, then all is well as can be hoped.
A badly out-of-balance rig will cause more rapid and severe fatigue as well as stiffness in hand and wrist, maybe even elbow and shoulder. Spin rigs seem to tire me more rapidly than well-balanced casting rigs do, but I do switch back and forth in order to even it all out...casting left and cranking right with baitcasting rigs; Casting right and cranking left with spin rigs.
Well, that's enough mind-boggling for now.
Get these issues resolved and then we'll address the next concerns.

Be safe!

FR

PS: As you gain more experience you'll realize the need to expand your arsenal and we'll be here to assist in selection.

Last edited by FlyRod; 04-03-07 at 08:29 PM.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.