Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 01-20-05, 01:51 AM   #1
GeeBeeJim

Default Bad starting problem Â*?

It's a Johnson 225. Â*It takes about 10 minutes to start Â*?
It cranks, fires, and stops Â*.... Â*cranks, fires, and stops Â*.... Â*cranks, fires, and stops Â*? ? ? Â*

After about 10 minutes of doing this, Â*it will finally run, and stay running. Â*It will start in a snap all day, and the following day after the first initial start. Â*

What's happening here Â*? Â* Should the Bulb be pumped harder, or is it flooded Â*?

Also, Â*what should be the RPM at idle Â*?

Thanks Â*> Â* Jim
Old 01-20-05, 11:11 AM   #2
YoungFisher678
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to YoungFisher678
Default Re: Bad starting problem Â*?

Don't take this as an insult, just asking, are you using the cold start? Sounds like it's cold natured to me.
YoungFisher678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-05, 11:53 AM   #3
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

JIM,
Does it do this after the motor is raised? If so, you may be flooding the cylinders with fuel and it has to burn out before it will run.
If it only does this after you have trailered to the lake, the carbs may have dumped all the fuel out of the bowls and may take time to re-fill them.
If neither one of these things are the case, try starting it without pumping the bulb. If that don't work, try pumping the bulb until it is as hard as you can get it.
If none of the above tricks work, take it to a mechanic, you may need to have the fuel pump diaphragm replaced.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-05, 02:15 PM   #4
GeeBeeJim

[quote author=JackL link=board=Boats;num=1106196709;start=0#2 date=01/20/05 at 09:53:36]JIM,
Â* Â* Does it do this after the motor is raised? If so, you may be flooding the cylinders with fuel and it has to burn out before it will run.
Â* Â* If it only does this after you have trailered to the lake, the carbs may have dumped all the fuel out of the bowls and may take time to re-fill them.
Â* Â*JackL[/quote]

Thanks for your input guys. Â*No, it can be raised and lowered all day, and it starts just fine. Â*It's only a problem after it has been towed in a raised position, Â* and then lowered into running position for the first start of the day. Â*The bulb is pumped until hard, Â*and then the trouble starts. Â*It is ONLY for the first start of the day. Â*Eventually after about 10 minutes of trying, it will finally catch, and keep running Â*? ? ? ? ? ?
No more problems for the rest of the day !

If the Carbs are dumping their fuel after being towed in a raised position, should I continue pumping the bulb even after it gets hard ?

Not that it's related, but what should the typical idle RPM be Â*?

> Â*Jim Â*
Old 01-20-05, 02:41 PM   #5
YoungFisher678
BassFishin.Com Member

I take it either you are using the cold start or the omc model does not have one on your particular model?
Old 01-20-05, 04:50 PM   #6
GeeBeeJim

[quote author=wmaybin link=board=Boats;num=1106196709;start=0#4 date=01/20/05 at 12:41:49]I take it either you are using Â*the cold start or the omc model does not have one on your particular model?[/quote]

I don't even know what a "Cold Start" is. Â*Please enlighten ? Â*What does it do, and how does it do it Â*? Â*

This is a Johnson 225 hp, V-6. Â*Where would I find it on my motor ?

You aren't talking bout the "Choke", are ya ?

Old 01-20-05, 08:32 PM   #7
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i know this for a fact my yammy will NOT fire if the engine is raised above or below dead level on the first start. best bet would be to ask a pro wrench.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-05, 10:27 AM   #8
YoungFisher678
BassFishin.Com Member

OK, It could be a difference in lingo, so you could know what I am taklking about.

ANyway you should have two cold start features on your OMC> One being that if you push the key in it primes the carbs or "squirts a little gas in them"

Second, on the throttle you should be able to disengage the gear and push the throttle forward, thus acting as a cold start or choke if you will. Some models have a cold start on top of the throtle lever.

Let it run until it warms up, then disengage,

You probably already new this, however just checking.
Old 01-25-05, 02:48 AM   #9
socalbasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to socalbasser

Quote:
ANyway you should have two cold start features on your OMC> One being that if you push the key in it primes the carbs or "squirts a little gas in them"

Second, on the throttle you should be able to disengage the gear and push the throttle forward, thus acting as a cold start or choke if you will. Some models have a cold start on top of the throtle lever.

Let it run until it warms up, then disengage,

You probably already new this, however just checking.
If I'm wrong here feel free to enlighten me. I thought the choke feature was when you pushed the key in and then turned the motor over? The other feature is merely just a way to start the motor at a higher idle? Once again, not trying to stir things up, just sittin here wondering on the keyboard to myself. ;D

Skeeter
socalbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-05, 11:46 AM   #10
YoungFisher678
BassFishin.Com Member

skeeter, not stirring at all, that's what it's about, discussion, right!

I used to think similar to you. My OMC (johnson/evinrude) certified mechanic told me that you are not supose to hold the key in, simply push it in a couple of times and this function primes the carbs by squirting a little gas in them. the other feature for starting the engine at a higher RPM is what we always called the cold start hence the fact you use it when the motor is cold first thing. I guess you could call it a choke as well. Everyone does things different and all companies have different features. I hope Jim gets his motor straightened out, I have offered all I know to offer. Talk to you guys on the next topic.
Old 01-26-05, 11:33 PM   #11
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

DJ, I've got a cold natured Merc, that is tough to start. One thing I started doing and it seemed to help was to disengage the gears and push the throttle wide open after I have pumped up the bulb. Then it usually cranks after just a few key turns. Something you also might try is some outboard starter fluid-Haven't seen any in a while but then I haven't looked for it. If you have an older outboard it might do the trick-just pull the engine cowling and squirt it in the carbs and fire her up.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 01:29 AM   #12

[quote author=JigginJim link=board=Boats;num=1106196709;start=0#0 date=01/19/05 at 23:51:49]It's a Johnson 225. Â*It takes about 10 minutes to start Â*?
It cranks, fires, and stops Â*.... Â*cranks, fires, and stops Â*.... Â*cranks, fires, and stops Â*? ? ? Â*

After about 10 minutes of doing this, Â*it will finally run, and stay running. Â*It will start in a snap all day, and the following day after the first initial start. Â*

What's happening here Â*? Â* Should the Bulb be pumped harder, or is it flooded Â*Â*?

Also, Â*what should be the RPM at idle Â*?

Thanks Â*> Â* Jim
[/quote]
Old 02-07-05, 01:51 AM   #13

Sound like the beginning of electronic problems (black box) the motor usually floods before starting be cause its not firing right , I rebuilt the carbs on mine before taking to shop and finding the real problem

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.