Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 04-04-07, 12:29 PM   #1
Twinsprtsfan
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Brand new fisherman looking for tips

Hello all,
Just joined the site and I am a "newbie". I have been fishing a few times before, but I just decided start fishing as a hobby and was wondering if anyone had any tips they thought I could use. I have found a lot of good and useful info here already just by reading posts/stickys. I have pretty much a basic pole (I think), it is a Zebco. And I have mainly been fishing with rubber worms and rooster tails, but used crickets the other day.

I guess one of my main questions is am I using the right bait? Also, is there a website of info on stuff I probably don't know, like when should I use swivels and what is the purpose? It seems there are a lot of things and lingo that I don't know.

I just want to get out there and fish and catch something. Thanks.
Twinsprtsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 01:16 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

Rather than throw out a lot of terms you may or may not be familiar with, here is a great site for someone just getting started:

http://www.bassresource.com/beginner/beginner.html

That site will probably answer a lot of questions and generate a lot more .

Using the right bait-a lot of the time it is a matter of trial and error. You have to throw different things to find out what the fish want. One day they will tear up a plastic worm and the next won't touch it but will jump all over a spinnerbait or crankbait. That's why they call it fishing instead of catching .

Regarding swivels-I use a barrel swivel on a Carolina rig(see the illustrated worm rigs at the top to see it) and that is about it. Otherwise I tie directly to the line. Many years ago I watched my favorite lure go sailing off into the murky depths when a snap swivel came open and I haven't used one since. It really is personal preference.

Take a look at that site and feel free to ask questions, even if it sounds dumb, because the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked.
Old 04-04-07, 02:07 PM   #3
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

You could spread the word around to family, friends and neighbors, that you are looking for a bassin buddy to learn from. You might get lucky and find not only a mentor, but good fishing partner/friend as well.

Good Luck

BET
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 02:38 PM   #4
Twinsprtsfan
BassFishin.Com Member

Good idea. I will check around. Thanks for the info, I will definitely check out that site. I am pretty excited about getting out there on a regular basis, just want to try and learn some stuff before each time I go. It looks like I have a lot of reading to do, but that won't stop me from heading out there.

Hopefully, I will soon be giving you guys a great fishing story!
Old 04-04-07, 06:56 PM   #5
Rebbasser

We'll look forward to it!

I will recommend one bait to begin with-it will catch bass just about anywhere. It is a soft plastic stickbait. They are sold under names like Senko, Tiki Sick, Yum Dunger and many more. They are easy to fish, too. If you look at the worm rig thread you will see one under the Wacky rig. That, along with a weightless Texas rig are the two ways I fish them 90% of the time. Cast them out, set them settle, and work them with gentle twitches of the rod tip. Many times you will not feel a hit-your line will start tightening up or it will get "heavy"-like you picked up some weeds or something. In either case set the hook-as has been said many times, hooksets are free . Colors-they come in every color of the rainbow and then some, but if you start with natural colors like watermelon, watermelon red and green pumpkin you will be in good shape.
Old 04-04-07, 07:23 PM   #6
senko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Rather than throw out a lot of terms you may or may not be familiar with, here is a great site for someone just getting started:

http://www.bassresource.com/beginner/beginner.html

That site will probably answer a lot of questions and generate a lot more .

Using the right bait-a lot of the time it is a matter of trial and error. You have to throw different things to find out what the fish want. One day they will tear up a plastic worm and the next won't touch it but will jump all over a spinnerbait or crankbait. That's why they call it fishing instead of catching .

Regarding swivels-I use a barrel swivel on a Carolina rig(see the illustrated worm rigs at the top to see it) and that is about it. Otherwise I tie directly to the line. Many years ago I watched my favorite lure go sailing off into the murky depths when a snap swivel came open and I haven't used one since. It really is personal preference.

Take a look at that site and feel free to ask questions, even if it sounds dumb, because the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked.
rule number 1: listen to reb
Old 04-05-07, 12:58 AM   #7
hackattack
BassFishin.Com Active Member

man stickbaits all the way...www.alluringbaits.com or whatever. they will catch fish, alot of times for me it is the only thing that gets a bite.
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 02:57 AM   #8
WallStreetAmigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by senko View Post
rule number 1: listen to reb
Amen!

It wasn't all that long ago that I was in a similiar situation. As a fellow newbie to this great hobby, I will leave the fishing specific advice to the experts like Reb. The best advice I can give you though is to judge your fishing trips by how much you learn each time you go out as opposed to how many fish you come home with. In no time the number of fish will take care of itself if you take this approach.

There is a lot of info on the internet that will help with basics and give you ideas on what to try (I read ALOT of stuff on fishing almost every night), but getting out there and learning by trial and error will be the way you really understand and start to get better at it. And ask the guys and gals on here even if you think it is a dumb question, they are always helpful, respectful, and downright entertaining sometimes.

Wait until the first time you cast out your favourite lure and you watch it sail 100 yards out into the deep blue because your knot wasn't tied right. I would bet my life savings that, like I did, you will be reading a lot about knot tying that evening when you get home! The reality is, that is how we learn, but you'll have a blast learning. It will all be worth it when you reel in a big one! I still remember the reaction when I caught my first 3 pound bass. I actually gave a yell and scared my wife.

Oh and welcome to the forum! Trust me, it won't be long before you have a great fishing story for us!
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 05:55 AM   #9
Recon8541

Twin,

First off Welcome!! Great group of guys here, always ready to help!!

Also welcome to the addiction, the bait monkey will be to see you shortly LOL!!

There is literally a wealth of info here on this very site. Dealing with colors, patterns, techniques, etc etc!

My best advise to a newcomer, is stay simple, build confidence, and dont be afraid to follow your own intuition.

Best of luck to you in your fishing adventures, and remember even when they arent biting, every trip on the lake can be an adventure!!
Old 04-05-07, 04:23 PM   #10
Twinsprtsfan
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks everybody. I appreciate all the words of wisdom and advice. I feel a little overwhelmed right now, because there is so much I need to learn, but I am going to take it 1 fishing trip at a time. Unfortunately, I did not grow up with a Father so I had no one to take me fishing. But now that I have a son, I would like to learn and then teach him the ropes.

I am heading out to get some new tackle that you guys suggested tonight, since my family is going on a camping trip this weekend by a lake.

Also, any ideas on a rod and reel combo that is not very expensive ($50 or prefer less) and would be good for a beginner? I think I need to upgrade, but heck, I will fish with anything right now.

Also, I am fishing from the shoreline, as I don't have a boat.

Right now I have been using a swivel, so I can switch out the baits easier, but I am not sure if this is a good idea.

Last edited by Twinsprtsfan; 04-05-07 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-05-07, 04:48 PM   #11
lizardsrule

Worry about working on just a couple of baits at first. I would recommend a Worm/Lizard with a bullet weight "Texas Rigged", and a spinnerbait, in either white or white/chartreuse. Get those out and start to catch some bass. Don't worry about all the different techniques and baits until you know more about just where to fish. Then start working on the other baits/techniques one at a time, until you get that one down, then the next one and so on. Any rod and reel will work, but with just starting a "spincasting reel" perhaps a Zebco, with a medium to medium/heavy rod would be my recommendation. The shorter the person the shorter the rod at least to start. Nothing bigger than a 6'6" rod for you, and depending on your son's height probably a 5' rod would be good. You may want to also try some live bait, such as shiner worms, crickets etc... When just starting out catching fish is more important in my opinion than not catching fish just because you want to do it with artificials. Keep both of your interest levels up at first with live bait, even if it's catching bluegills/bream/crappie whatever, and a big ole bass might just bite too.

Lizards
Old 04-05-07, 05:34 PM   #12
Nitro911

I have to second Lizards post. If your son is young, the only to keep him interested will be to keep him catching fish. He won't care if they are big or what species they are, as long as he is catching fish. Find a good bait sstore and get some minnows or worms on your way out, or you could just catch grass hoppers where you fish, depending upon your weather. Chasing grasshoppers will entertain a kid for hours ( I know, that is what my grandfather and dad had me doing when I was little).

If you are someplace where you have a lot of perch/blue gill/ bream, even pieces of bacon or lunch meat will work well for the smaller fish. If you are feeling adventurous, hook one of your smaller perch onto a bigger rig and toss it out in the middle somewhere. You may catch a big bass or catfish.

Most of all, remember to make your trips short, depending upon your son's age. His attention span won't be what yours is. Him having fun is the most important part of his wanting to go with you again.
Old 04-05-07, 10:36 PM   #13
Rebbasser

Don't get overwhelmed-just have fun learning. The senko type baits I mentioned-Flyrod and I fished from about 10:30 to 7:30 today and put 35 fish in the boat and lost several. All but 3 came on those stickbaits. We caught about half rigged weedless and half rigged wacky. For somebody just starting I can't recommend them enough.

You ask about a rod and reel-depending on what kind you want there are a lot of good combos available. A combo is a rod that comes matched with a reel. WalMart or anyplace that sells tackle will have some combos that work. The reason I recommend combos to someone just getting started is they are matched for the best performance. And you can get them for $50 or less that will do the job.

Don't rule out that old trusty Zebco 33 either. Easy to use, pretty much kid proof, and they do the job. Most of us started with that or something similar.

Bottom line, though, is to have fun! Get comfortable with a couple of baits and go from there.

Quote:
Chasing grasshoppers will entertain a kid for hours ( I know, that is what my grandfather and dad had me doing when I was little).
That explains a lot

Just an FYI, Nitro is the only person I have ever seen catch 2 largemouth on one lure on a single cast-he caught them on a Zara Spook, and we have a picture to prove it
Old 04-06-07, 09:21 AM   #14
Twinsprtsfan
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks, I am going this weekend and going to use the stickbaits on a wacky rig. I will let you know how it goes!
Old 04-06-07, 03:26 PM   #15
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I fish with my 8 year old son and the advice these guy give is spot on... As long as he is catching fish and spending time with Dad he is gonna love it.

Make sure to hook one yourself and pretend you don't know it's there and hand it to him while you tie your shoe... He'll love the fact that he stole one from you!!!

Have a great trip and let us all know how it went!
brushhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.