Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 04-10-09, 05:49 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Solar Panel

Since we've been having battery trouble on our boat, we've been looking into these. Our boat (16' Tracker deep-V) only has one batter for cranking, two FF's, and the TM. The battery would drain in about 2 hrs of fishing with the troller and we've have to start then engine and troll for musky for a while while it recharged. Seeing as I want to bass fish more this year, we can't have a batter run down in a couple hours.

We took the TM to the tracker repair center at BPS and they figured out it was drawing battery even while it was off due to two wires touching... They fixed it, but we still need something else.

If we can't find a place for a TM only battery, then we're gonna need something to charge it on the water.

Anyone have any experience with the solar panels? they worth the 50 or so bucks? And how do you set them up in the electrical system?

Thanks guys,
BB
Old 04-10-09, 06:43 PM   #2
zooker

wait you mean ya have only one battery for the whole boat?? you need a dedicated battery for the troller. and the other for everything else...in 12 hours of fishing the crank battery i have runs the both fish finders, the bilge,livewell and cranks the hammer..the troller works off the second battery...

if your on just one battery. take your $50 and buy a second battery.wire you the troller to it and go...i throw a charge in the cranker once a month the troller battery after every use..

zooker
Old 04-10-09, 06:59 PM   #3
Stinkies Daddy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
wait you mean ya have only one battery for the whole boat?? you need a dedicated battery for the troller. and the other for everything else...in 12 hours of fishing the crank battery i have runs the both fish finders, the bilge,livewell and cranks the hammer..the troller works off the second battery...

if your on just one battery. take your $50 and buy a second battery.wire you the troller to it and go...i throw a charge in the cranker once a month the troller battery after every use..

zooker

Agreed! i do the same thing, cept i top them both off each time
Old 04-10-09, 07:04 PM   #4
bamabassman

yes bb, spend the 50 bucks on another battery pal.
Old 04-10-09, 08:12 PM   #5
Stinkies Daddy

also your troller is giving interfreance to your fish finder
Old 04-10-09, 08:37 PM   #6
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:

zooker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
yes bb, spend the 50 bucks on another battery pal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkies Daddy View Post
also your troller is giving interfreance to your fish finder
BB all 3 posts are spot on -- the only good solution is another battery.
Old 04-10-09, 10:09 PM   #7
CMorg

Quote:

zooker
Thats the way my tracker is...
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-09, 04:10 AM   #8
bingham

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

i have 3 batteries on my boat, one for trolling, one for cranking and trim, one for fish finders aireators lights etc. this is a good setup, having my tm free from any other sources suckin on it and knowing my motor will fire up at the slightest twist of the wrist while also knowing i have an almost full battery if something happens to the other one seein the electronics dont pull alot. ends up bein 2 dual purpose deep cycle, and 1 crankin. wouldnt have it any other way
Old 04-11-09, 04:18 AM   #9
WTL

Hey bb, dont know if you will get this advice anywhere else, but you might need another battery.

Seriously, you are running waay too much on 1 battery. You want 2. What I did was I take my older battery out of my truck and put the outboard on that, its still strong enough for the outboard, then I buy the deep cycle battery for the TM. FFs are hooked to the tm battery, but either way they pull very little.
Old 04-11-09, 04:56 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

To put this as simple and nice as possible...GET ANOTHER BAT BUDDY......man you got way to much on one battery. You need to dedicate one bat for the troller itself. NOTHING ELSE on the troller battery. FF's hooked onto the troller battery will give you interference on your ff's. Hook them onto the main engine bat. Only on the troller bat should be the troller.
Old 04-11-09, 05:46 AM   #11
WTL

So let me get this straight, you are saying a whole nother battery? As in a new battery? Huh....ok....
Old 04-11-09, 08:55 AM   #12
BigBassin144

Thanks guys, that is what I figured, it's just we have no room for another battery. We're gonna see what we can do though.

Another problem we had was the guy we bought the boat from ran all his wires in conduit from the front of the boat to the back. We'll have to figure out which wires are for what before we could connect them to a new battery.

Also, with two batteries, what kind of charger? I think the one that's in there now is a cheap one from Sears. and I think it's only for one battery.

BB
Old 04-11-09, 09:15 AM   #13
zooker

hell get a trickle charger. $40 at walmart

since you boat don't plane out. here what i'd do...

clear out the left side storage compartment in the back-top of the picture..

put your new battery in one of these..which has the built in breaker system.. wire up to your troller and go..

two things you'll notice with your currant battery wire hook up#1 the ribbed conduit has a split along it. #2 looK at your currant wires the two largest ones will likly be fore the moter the next smaller ones will be for the troller. the lil ones run to the fuse block under the consule..

zooker
Old 04-11-09, 09:04 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Hey Zook, here's the pics we talked about. The 2001's didn't have storage in the back... We were thinking of making a hinged door on the left of the batter compartment, which isn't big enough to hold two.

BB
Old 04-11-09, 09:51 PM   #15
bamabassman

what is under the seat? maybe open it up a little?
Old 04-11-09, 09:57 PM   #16
BigBassin144

from that view, ro the right of the seat is the gas tank.

to the left, according to the dude at the Tracker center in BPS, it is filled with foam. We were thinking of taking the whole back pannel off and using the the area left of the battery as for another one. We'd cut the panel and make a hindged door.

BB
Old 04-11-09, 10:40 PM   #17
zooker

wow dat is kind of a pain in the azz. right der...

whoa wait a mintue the speaker in the side area means thats open there.. can we get a picture of the compartment where the speaker is sticking out?? is it big enough to fit a battery in??

zooker
Old 04-11-09, 10:44 PM   #18
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

dang.. that sucks.. haha get some carpet the color of the boats carpet, then make a battery box and put the battery in it.. make it a step or something.. lol
Old 04-11-09, 11:07 PM   #19
bamabassman

beat me to it zooker. or like ya'll said open it up to the left of the battery as shown would work too.
Old 04-12-09, 09:43 AM   #20
BigBassin144

Quote:
wow dat is kind of a pain in the azz. right der...

whoa wait a mintue the speaker in the side area means thats open there.. can we get a picture of the compartment where the speaker is sticking out?? is it big enough to fit a battery in??

zooker
Yes, it's open. Just not when it's filled with rods. and I don't think a batter would fit in the rod locker anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
beat me to it zooker. or like ya'll said open it up to the left of the battery as shown would work too.
I'll be taking the back panel off today and seeing if that really is filled with foam. If so... time to get out the sawzall and have at it!

BB
Old 04-12-09, 01:46 PM   #21
BigBassin144

Alright, we took the back panel off, and I was right, under the seat and to the right is the gas tank. And we need that. To the left was all foam. unfortunatly, my dad left his sawzall at work... so we got out the hand saw and started cutting the foam away. We've got a big enough area cleaned out to put a battery. We're gonna put a piece of plywood down and probably get one of those boxes you said Zook (by the way, can we get that at like BPS?)

We also figured out the battery we bought isn't a very strong battery, even though it is a deep cycle. It was all we could get when the battery died on the lake.

I'll post some pics later. Thanks for the help so far guys.

BB
Old 04-12-09, 01:47 PM   #22
BigBassin144

Oh, Iforgot. Like Isaid, our charger is a cheap one from Sears. Would we be better of getting a charger that'll charge both batteries at the same time?? We're not real familiar with the chargers and stuff, so any help with that would be appreciated.

BB
Old 04-12-09, 01:59 PM   #23
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

yeah you can get those boxes at walmart.

I've got to do some kind of charging system too, i'll probally wait till i get a TM, then run it for both.
Old 04-12-09, 03:00 PM   #24
zooker

actua.ly that is a cabelas box with a built in 50 amp breaker..

i think like $50

zooker
Old 04-12-09, 03:01 PM   #25
zooker

actua.ly that is a cabelas box with a built in 50 amp breaker..

i think like $50

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.