Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-04, 03:39 AM   #1
TonyNucci
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to TonyNucci
Default Missing strikes?

Hi

Went fishing last night, caught 2 small ones.

Tried a superfluke first, missed 2 strikes...
Then an original Rapala floater, caught 1 (the rapala's first, it was very happy ;D), missed 1 (Man bass are quick, just before i lifted the rapala from the water one came flying from the side and took it, exciting to see)
Then a deadringer worm, caught 1, missed 1 strike.

My questions:

1. I read in some previous posts people complaining about missing strikes using a super fluke. Why do they miss strikes easily (assuming nothing wrong with the rigging)?

2. Is there something like an acceptable strike/miss ratio to indicate that I'm not doing something wrong. e.g. using a super fluke its ok to miss 1 out of 10, and a spinner bait maybe 1 in 20? Which bait has the best ratio (to use when the bass take anything you throw at them?)

3. Obviously the size of the fish should make a difference? Missing more strikes from small fish?

4. What do you guys think of the Mepps Black Fury spinner (is this classified as a spinnerbait?). My friend used that for a little while and outfished me... Will it only work for small bass?

Enough for one day... and thx for all the help

TonyNucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-04, 05:10 AM   #2
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to james33
Default Re: Missing strikes?

Tinusp,

The reason that it's easier to miss a fish on a fluke is the fact that the fluke is so bulky. Â*What I mean is it's alot of plastic Â*for the hook to come through. Â* Also are you using hooks that look like this?

The extra-wide gap will make for easier and better hooksets.

Oh and the acceptable stike to miss ratio is 0 misses for however many strikes ;D Â*You're gonna miss some it just happens. Â*Whats important is why did you miss them? Â*You obviously realise that already cuz you're asking questions.

As far as the Mepps spinner. Â*I've never used the one you were asking about. Â* I'm guessing that it's an inline spinner. Â*Aw heck I just looked one up. Â*Is this it??

Point is they worked for your buddy so they must be alright. Â* You asked if they only worked on small fish. Â*Well no big ones will eat it too. Â*If it's the smaller inline then you are more likely to catch more smaller ones than big ones because the little fish are easier to catch.

Mike
james33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-04, 05:22 AM   #3
TonyNucci
BassFishin.Com Member

Used the normal worm hooks. The angle at the eye seems to be different, will get the right ones.

And yes thats the spinner, just without the feathers.

What does the inline mean in "inline spinner"?
Old 11-11-04, 05:35 AM   #4
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to james33

See the blades on this spinnerbait

They are offset to the bait body.

This one the blades are in-line with the bait body. Get it
james33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-04, 06:03 AM   #5
TonyNucci
BassFishin.Com Member

Right thx

So the top one is called an offset spinnerbait?

On the top spinnerbait does the fish attack the blades, body or both?
Old 11-11-04, 08:52 AM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Dang IL, you're pretty savvy with the pics and all

Also may want to make sure you hook is large enough for the flukes. For superflukes I always use a 5/0 wide gap hook. Another thing I was taught along time ago is that when shiner fishing, the bass will grab the shiner, and then turn it in it's mouth before swallowing it. Therefor it take a second or two for the hook to get into the best position for a hookset. Now if it works for shiner, perhaps it could work for flukes also I highly recommend a superline of some kind when fluke fishing. It has no stretch, which makes a lot of difference trying to get through bulky plastics like flukes and crawbugs.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-04, 09:22 AM   #7
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

It's called either an offset spinnerbait, or more commonly, a "safety pin" spinnerbait. Easy to see where that name comes from.

catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-04, 09:56 AM   #8
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

Fluke Hook....another option is to use a 4/0 Round Bend Worm Hook (offset shank near the eye) by Gamakatsu. This is also a hook that offers a wide gap and are available through BassPro Shops.
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-04, 11:30 AM   #9
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

tinusp-the top pic is a spinnerbait where your Mepps is an in-line spinner.

IL is correct about the bulk of the fluke being a factor, but so is the rod you are using. I use a heavy action rod for flukes because it has less give to it and is stiff enough to get a good hookset.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-04, 07:43 PM   #10
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i have used a mepps aglia-that is the one with out feathers-a size 2 is a tough bait to beat i have caught many bass in the 3-4 pound range with these spinner's.all though they tend to hang up alot on weeds as a spinner bait wont.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.