Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 12-21-04, 06:08 PM   #1
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Changing the lower unit lube

Well I'll admit I have never done this :-[ I have always paid the boat dealership to do it. I have a 1982 15HP Evinrude motor that I need to change. How about some helpful tips or hints on doing it, and what type of lube is best? I had the dealership do my Runabout before I put it in storage, so this is the one that is left to do. I always use Sta-bil fuel stablizer, and change the plugs as needed, but this is new to me. Thanks to this board I already can change the bearing on my trailer too

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-04, 07:17 PM   #2
fisherman666
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fisherman666
Default Re: Changing the lower unit lube

Go to Walmart and get a lower unit lube pump and 1 quart of lubermatic synthetic lower lube. The drain plug is by the lower skag and the upper is next to the cavatation plate. remove screws and drain. use pump to refill. fill from bottomdrain till oil runs out top drain. install top plug remove pump and install lower. good luck
fisherman666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-04, 07:53 PM   #3
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

diffantly use the pump. also watch your lube as it comes out if it is milkish there is water in it. most moters that old seep water in the lower unit. do not be shocked if it is milky.just do it like bullet says. also before putting the top bolt in turn the prop a round a couple of times.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-04, 10:34 PM   #4
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Makitcnt4u

Getting the pump is the secret square. It's not that big of a deal if water is in it. Just check every once and a while to see if water is in the oil when you are using the motor again. Make sure those screws are very tight and the rubber seals around them are solid and in good condition. If they are cracked then that is the reason there could be water in there.
Makitcnt4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-04, 11:04 PM   #5
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Piece of cake, Lizards. Put what you are going to drain it into under the lower unit, remove the bottom plug, and then remove the upper plugs. After it has drained, attach the pump to the lower drain hole then pump it in until it comes out of the top holes. Put in one of the top plugs(if you have 2), pump a little more in and then put in the second top plug. Then remove the pump, put back the lower drain plug and you are done.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 07:26 PM   #6
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

lizard
there is about 10 differant company's that sell lower unit oil. i use a synthic oil but then my out board is a 2003.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.