Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-21-12, 10:24 AM   #1
matt3mckee
BassFishin.Com Member

Default How many are still fishing?

Just curious. The store in DEATHLY slow and just wondering who all is still fishing right now. Really stinks and please feel free to share idea's on how to get people back in here during the slow times.
Thanks,
Matt
matt3mckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 11:34 AM   #2
merc1997
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i am still fishing here on table rock lake. i would guess that a lot of tn waters fish more like a river impoundment and not like a resevoir. here on table rock fishing is great. i wonder if the problem there is people do not change with the fish. i know one guy that i converse with that fishes old hickory. his thoughts are that the fish are sick. he is catching skinny fish. he fishes old hickory most of the time. if the low water levels, and not current are causing problems with the fish, that can truly cause a catching problem. sick fish are not active. when were were dealing with the lmb virus, we had to go to very small lures, such as drop shot, to catch anything at all.

if the bass have just changed habits because of the water levels, it would be my first guess that no one is fishing deep enough. also night fishing is usually better. right now here on table rock in the dam area at night, we are catching the bass 30 to 35 feet deep.

hope things pick up.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 12:04 PM   #3
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I slowed down due to problems at home.lack of rain and high heat index,but still fish.
Now days are 90 nights 60 wont be long schooling will occur and be more people or same people fishing more due to lower temps and cooperative fish.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 12:59 PM   #4
matt3mckee
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah i know it will get better just depressing sitting here at the store all day by myself haha. I can't wait for the lake to improve I can tell you that though
Old 08-21-12, 01:24 PM   #5
skeeter1804

I'm still fishing every weekend that I don't have a customers boat to work on.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 01:41 PM   #6
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Every year about the time kids go back to school the fishing biz slows down to pick back up in October November. Why do I say this? I used to own two pro shops in Florida a few years back and have strong alliances in the biz. Wish we knew what the secret weapon is to turn it around... My base business normally slows a little around this time but this year is a record year. (Totally unrelated to fishing)
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 01:43 PM   #7
Vegasspider

Default Online

Do you have an online store? I need to stock up on some things and would be happy to support the cause and buy from you.

I buy all of my worms, termal, soft baits etc in bulk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt3mckee View Post
Just curious. The store in DEATHLY slow and just wondering who all is still fishing right now. Really stinks and please feel free to share idea's on how to get people back in here during the slow times.
Thanks,
Matt
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 01:58 PM   #8
matt3mckee
BassFishin.Com Member

The guy who is doig my website is dragging his feet so I still don't have my online store set up yet. If you would like shoot me an email about what you are thinking about and I will get you prices better than TW if I can. matt3mckee@gmail.com is my email or call the store at 865-856-8899. Thanks guys
Old 08-21-12, 04:58 PM   #9
skeeter1804

I know the feeling. I am an auto mechanic and every year at back to school time our business just dies off. Hang in there it will get better.
Old 08-21-12, 06:44 PM   #10
USMCbassman

I'm still fishing when I can, even this SoCal heat has driven me inside. I know it is nothing like the Mid-West and East Coast heat; however, mid to high 80's on the coast means low to high 90's (sometimes pushing triple digits) inland where all the freshwater lakes/reservoirs are. I'll be on/at the water before sun up, but by time 9 or 10 rolls around it's time to pack it up. Definitely nothing past 11 a.m.

I'm going to start shifting my fishing to evening/night time.

As for business I think it is just the time of year...If you can and are not doing so try running some sales or deals. How well do you advertise? Plus (as sad as it to say) the bigger companies and online sales are killing the "mom and pop" stores. I watched my grandparents Hallmark store they owned and ran for 27 years killed by Wal-Mart to include all the locally owned grocery stores. Of course there is no need for a wally world super center in a town of 8,500 people.

Guess where I'm going with that is; it's easier for folks to sit at home and have their stuff delivered to them. I'm guilty of it...I would love to have a local freshwater tackle shop nearby me. I love building a relationship with the people I'm conducting business with, supporting their efforts and I enjoy the instant gratification, LOL! Hang in there man, it'll turn around!
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 06:48 PM   #11
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Maybe have a special weekend show. Maybe you could have seminars from local guides, a booth setup for a local bass fishing club for a membership drive. Let a local marina setup a few rigs to try to sell. Free door prizes and a grand prize through raffle sales for a good cause. Food and drinks could be supplied by a local vender, like one of those BBQ stands you see at fairs. You could have casting contests for both adult and kids. All kinds of things you could do for the event. At least it will get some folks back in your door and hopefully several new ones. And it will get your name out there.
Old 08-21-12, 07:36 PM   #12
joedog

Ok an idea that also has some good history.
Maybe an idea you could use?

A good friend had a highly successful baitshop.
Then gander moved to town and things got slower. Still could make a living but wanted to increase traffic. So this is what HE did and it worked for him.

Every year the shop always had something left over and usually 'x' number of manufacturers would be improving something. Plus he had distributers pitching in with donations of products they wanted moved.
So he would run a sheet of pull tabs, you know the ones the football guys run at the bars. Usually a sheet of 55 numbers I believe that covers all the number combinations available in a football game. These sheets also have a number under a sealed tab that can be pulled to pick winning person. Now this guy at first did it to recoup costs but later elected to donate it to the Big Brother organization. (that also enabled him to a tax credit based on retail not wholesale price) He would have a price per pull based on what he thought or what true cost to him was. So a $100 rod would be $2 a pull. Now everyone who was a fisherman knew after awhile and all live bait would get bought from him plus as you all know, fisherman rarely go into any tackle shop and come out with 'only' what they went in for.
Ex: I won a St.Croix pack rod one week. Guess what I got before leaving the shop...A $80 reel to go on it. Monsoor was a regular along with other really good fisherman. It became the meeting spot for alot of folks to start thier fishing day. Guy had coffee too, good coffee I'm told. The fisherman would come in and swap war stories as well as help newbies with ideas of how to do this thing we call fishing. Again, how often can a fisherman walk into a BAIT SHOP AND SPEND NO MONEY.
Next benefit he told me was that after a raffle like a Croix rod or Shimano or a Quantum reel, whatever, he would sell at least a couple of the same product or similar to numerous folks who handled said product for the first time during the raffle and fell in love with the 'feel'. Didn't win but still wanted one.
If you have big local high school following you can run the board based on thier weekly game. High School following grows, your traffic increases and you meet alot of new people. (customers ) Heck you can even donate it to thier booster club in trade for your name on the football schedule or booster club publications. A win win all the way around.

The guy sold the shop at a good value based on 'the books' and the traffic like fve years later. The new owner stopped the weekly or if you want monthly drawings and he was out of business in two years. Coincidence?

You can run the 'raffle' using squares on a sheet of paper. The customer fills a box with thier name on the sheet and you take a sheet of paper and Put 0-9 on top and the same down the side. Take the cards from a deck with 1-10. After the raffle have a customer or someone shuffle the cards and pick two cards...thats the winning draw that week. Whoever's square matches, they win prize.
Hope it helps or spawns an idea that will.
Best of luck!

Last edited by joedog; 08-21-12 at 07:44 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 09:28 PM   #13
matt3mckee
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks everyone appreciate it. Will be doing some stuff in the store very soon. Thanks to everyone
Old 08-21-12, 09:34 PM   #14
kennethdaysale

I can see that you're ready to wrap this up but before you go. There's a small (5,000 sq ft) fishing tackle/gun shop nearby that has a Bikini Boat Wash several saturdays during the slow season. It has really generated a lot of traffic and goodwill.
Old 08-22-12, 06:58 AM   #15
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
I can see that you're ready to wrap this up but before you go. There's a small (5,000 sq ft) fishing tackle/gun shop nearby that has a Bikini Boat Wash several saturdays during the slow season. It has really generated a lot of traffic and goodwill.
I bet you have the cleanest boat in town too, don't ya Ken?
Old 08-22-12, 09:32 AM   #16
matt3mckee
BassFishin.Com Member

haha I'll see if we can make that happen Ken lol
Old 08-22-12, 09:35 AM   #17
skeeter1804

Some of the bait and tackle stores around me do a monthly tournament series. This makes them extra money as well as gets those people in the store to sign up and what not. I don't think I have ever went in to pay for a tournament and didn't spend money on lures.
Old 08-22-12, 09:37 AM   #18
skeeter1804

You could also join or start a bass club in your area. The more people you meet and get your name out there the better your business will do.
Old 08-22-12, 10:28 AM   #19
oglejust

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter1804 View Post
I know the feeling. I am an auto mechanic and every year at back to school time our business just dies off. Hang in there it will get better.
so am i.. its been slow the last 3 weeks. obviously, as im on the forum on work hours
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-12, 10:34 AM   #20
OkobojiEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
I suppose the success of this promotion would depend largely upon how Mattie looks in a bikini.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-12, 10:51 AM   #21
matt3mckee
BassFishin.Com Member

we are starting a bass club out of the store next spring.
Here's everything I currently do
Weekday tournament- 15-27 boats
starting a Saturday winter club tournament- 22 threw the winter
Tuesday night hang out- in the summer about 10 people in the winter last year when people weren't fishign as much I had as many as 37 people in the store hanging out. I lvoe those days in Dec. and Jan I was doing a grand on that night just about every week.
Doing the raffle idea for a Duckett Rod
I help sponser the most common tournament around here and me or my dad fishes in just about every tourament.
Now as to bein in a kini well I guess I could fill out a speedo if need be lol
Matt
Old 08-22-12, 11:05 AM   #22
WatterBoy

I know this has already been discussed above, but I think one of the biggest things you need to do is get your web site going. Not sure if you have a way to "push" the guy who is doing it or not. It's just not convenient for people to have to e-mail or call you to find out what you have and what kind of deals you can give them. They want to be able to go out and snoop around at your site whenever they feel like it. I spend many of my break times at work just snooping around the Cablela's site just for the heck of it to see what they have out there. Or I might go check out something at their site that I have read about on this forum.

Are you sure the "raffle thing" is legal for you to be running?
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-12, 11:19 AM   #23
matt3mckee
BassFishin.Com Member

as long as I end up running it threw the register somehow then it's fine. I just have to end up paying the taxes on the rod. At least I think that's right
Old 08-22-12, 06:24 PM   #24
RAYMAN111
BassFishin.Com Member

I believe that you have a local Wholesaler in your area, somewhat close. Pitman Creek should be able to contact local Reps or Rep Groups who can offer your customers insight on what's new for 2013. I totally agree on the website. If you are not on, you are missing sales. There are a number of sites that have killed the brick and mortar stores. Yes, you have a loyal customer base, but I have seen som many of the people I work with ask their tackle shop for hints and product tips and order on line to save a buck! Back to the Rep days.....I have been involved in these promotions for many years. Advertising that you are having representatives from various factories on hand for the weekend will draw attention to you and give you insite on what help you can get from them. POP merchandise, free goods to pass on, co op dollars to use for ads and promotions. The big thing is that the customers that come in can meet these Reps and here first hand about their line of products. Feed these Rep's well......we all work long hours and spend many days away from the family. Bottom line, it's guys like you that we want to see succeed and support......just ask. If you need info for Pitman or have additional questions......I am glas to help. One more thing....yes....business has slowed down this time of year as it does. Various reasons for the tackle industry. If you are in the Fall hunting business, you will get that business made up. ICAST was last month and many factories are gearing up for new products release...only thing is that product does not start to arrive until October/November. Why put this on the shelves to sit for 5 months. This is also where a good website helps....post the new products and get a feel for the customer wants. These days, factories will take any order. Good luck....
RAYMAN111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-12, 04:42 PM   #25
Bassboss

Fishing is one thing I haven't done enough of this summer. Been so dadgum busy with work and football... But I'm gonna try to get out later today, hope all goes well.

So yeah I'm still fishing, just not as much as I'd like!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.