Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-18-13, 03:05 AM   #1
Al19067
BassFishin.Com Member

Default New spinning reel

What is a good spinning reel out for $300 mainley use for bass
Al19067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-13, 03:33 AM   #2
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You could buy three Shimano Saharas and still take the girlfriend out to dinner! Seriously, I would love to have $300 to spend on a reel, but don't look at anything over $100.

I'm sure you will be asked "what are you going to use it for?" ...is this going on a dedicated drop-shot rod, or weightless senkos? Or are you one of those guys like me who simply prefers a spinning reel over a baitcaster and may use a spinning reel for heavier applications like frogs and jigs? Most people who spend $300 on a reel have a specific application in mind.

Last edited by IowaBasser; 02-18-13 at 06:41 AM.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-13, 08:58 AM   #3
jamesh99
BassFishin.Com Member

the abu garcia revo premier is $250 but once you reach a $100 they start to just be the same as in quality.
jamesh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-13, 10:46 AM   #4
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Personally, I would go with a Shimano Symetre ($100). I have 3-4 of them and love them. I have a couple of Shimano Saharas ($80) also, but for my money, I'd spend the extra $20 for the Symetre. It just seems a little smoother to me all the way around. I also have two Abu Garcia Revo Premiers ($250), but only because I got them for $100 each. I don't see any noticeable difference between them and the Symetre, but that's just me.

Last edited by WatterBoy; 02-18-13 at 02:18 PM.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-13, 01:54 PM   #5
Al19067
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
Personally, I would go with a Shimano Symetre ($100). I have 3-4 of them and love them. I have a couple of Shimano Saharas ($80) also, but for my money, I'd spend the extra $20 for the Symetre. It just seems a little smoother to all the way around. I also have two Abu Garcia Revo Premiers ($250), but only because I got them for $100 each. I don't see any noticeable difference between them and the Symetre, but that's just me.
I have all the reels stated lol I always buy a new reel every year, mainly used for weightless plastic
Old 02-18-13, 03:23 PM   #6
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Ok, here's my opinion of a handful of higher end spinning reels. Most of these opinions are from in-store experience only, I've only fished with two of them. So in no particular order:

Shimano Sustain - Take note Shimano guys, as this doesn't happen often: Yes, I'm recommending a Shimano My experience was with the previous model, not the newer Sustain FG. Of the reels I considered when I bought my last spinning reel, this was one of the smoothest. However, I'm not a fan of Shimano's thin bail wire or new round EVA grips. The biggest downside was the reel is HEAVY.

Daiwa Certate - JDM reel sold for a limited time at BPS for about 50% of the JDM retail price. As smooth as the Sustain, but superior ergonomics to me. I love the air bail and Daiwa's I-knob; your mileage may vary. The reel is smaller and lighter. (this was the reel I purchased from this comparison by the way).

Daiwa Fuego - Also not available new. Not quite as smooth as the Certate or Sustain, but still excellent. Good ergonomics for me. And it's Light. This was actually my second choice (again, the weight of the Sustain killed it for me). I actually have and love one of these now. Good luck finding one since they've been discontinued.

Pflueger Patriarch - Smoothness was good on this reel, not quite on par with the Fuego, but perfectly acceptable. And talk about light; it's the lightest of the lot. Ergos are good, love the EVA knobs on these. Did I mention it's light?

Abu Garcia Premier - A mediocre reel for it's price point. The ergonomics are good, but the smoothness was just lacking. Drop the price $100 and you'll have a good, competitive reel. It just doesn't stand up the likes of the Fuego/Certate/Sustain.

Shimano Stradic CI4 - another light reel, but I've held numerous ones and none have felt good to me. None have been smooth, and it has the same ergo issues as the Sustain. This was definitely the worst of the lot IMO.

So for me, the Fuego was actually my top choice at the time for striking a great balance between feel and weight, but it was out of my price range. I went with the Certate. I later picked up a Fuego when they were on clearance. I still use and love both reels. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the top 4 reels I listed.

Just pick whichever fits your personal preferences best and pull the trigger.

BB
Old 02-18-13, 04:00 PM   #7
Old Hooker

I use a Shimano Spirex that I paid all of $60. The twin handle is like my baitcasting reels and I love the trigger on the bail. I don't use a spinning reel often enough to want to spend $300 on one.
Old 02-18-13, 05:39 PM   #8
Al19067
BassFishin.Com Member

Only reason I use spinning reels is bc I can't flip or pitch or cast plastic baits with baitcasters maybe bc I dnt have the right set up idk
Old 02-18-13, 11:05 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al19067 View Post
Only reason I use spinning reels is bc I can't flip or pitch or cast plastic baits with baitcasters maybe bc I dnt have the right set up idk
The right setup can almost completely eliminate the need for a spinning reel. If you're willing to put up $300 for a spinning reel, you can get yourself a decent finesse casting set up.

Before I make any recommendations, what exactly will you be fishing with this setup? Do you have any preferences for rods/reels (brands? rod length? etc).

Many people will tell you what they use but that won't necessarily be the best for your needs.

As a general rule, the Daiwa Pixy is considered one (if not the) best finesse casting reel available today. From the models back from the early 2000's up to the newer ones. They are small, light reels with shallow spools that excel at throwing light baits. The newer domestic Pixy's are pricy, and I haven't followed the JDM stuff lately to know prices.

BB
Old 02-19-13, 04:19 AM   #10
IowaBasser

Thanks Waterboy and BigBassin - Great info!

Last edited by IowaBasser; 02-19-13 at 08:46 AM.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-13, 02:33 PM   #11
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
Personally, I would go with a Shimano Symetre ($100). I have 3-4 of them and love them. I have a couple of Shimano Saharas ($80) also, but for my money, I'd spend the extra $20 for the Symetre. It just seems a little smoother to me all the way around. I also have two Abu Garcia Revo Premiers ($250), but only because I got them for $100 each. I don't see any noticeable difference between them and the Symetre, but that's just me.
I agree with WatterBoy on the Shimano Symetyre. I have several, and they are by far my favorite spinning reel, and the $100 price tag does not give me buyer's remorse. I would highly recommend these reels to anybody looking for a real quality spinning reel that won't break the bank.
Old 03-06-13, 08:30 AM   #12
IowaBasser

I see Shimano Symetyres are listed in the bass pro shops flier for $99.99. This is what I've seen them sell for normally. I'm wondering if they are going up in price or if BPS is just advertising them at their regular price?
Old 03-06-13, 11:17 AM   #13
BigBassin144

A bunch of stuff in their flier is normal price. Kind of pointless if you ask me.

BB
Old 03-06-13, 12:24 PM   #14
aikenyounggun

I have pretty much always heard that the pricier you get with spinning reels, there just isn't that huge of change. (I bought one that retails at $140, and I like it, but no real way to compare).

Have you not learned to throw a baitcaster? Or just not like to? Cause for that money you could get a good rod and a solid reel, and do pretty much whatever you wan depending what you buy. Now, if you go the pixy route like talked earlier, you might get a reel, haha. I don't keep up with JDM prices that much though
Old 03-06-13, 05:01 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
I have pretty much always heard that the pricier you get with spinning reels, there just isn't that huge of change. (I bought one that retails at $140, and I like it, but no real way to compare).
Thought the same myself until I put a higher end spinning reel to use. There isn't a whole lot of difference as far as casting performance goes. But overall, the higher end reels are smoother, both in reeling and with other moving parts.

Line lay is another aspect I find to be slightly better with higher end reels, especially of the few brands that have a good system (mainly Daiwa and Shimano from my experience). Higher end reels will have more/better bearings in places that make a difference with spinning reels. A bearing under the line roller makes a big difference. Having the line roller free moving as the line is coming in helps the line to be put back on the spool in a proper way to avoid twisting.

Aside from better managed line (which has a lot to do with the line itself) there isn't a whole lot of casting performance differences. Higher end reel have spool features that supposedly decrease line friction against the top of the spool, but I figure the difference isn't large enough to notice a difference in real world applications.

BB
Old 05-06-13, 01:52 PM   #16
IowaBasser

I picked up a Shimano Symetre ($100) about a month ago and love it! It's the most expensive spinning reel I've ever bought; so I don't really have much to compare it to. I wasn't impressed with the Pfluger President I bought three years ago (Only $60). Don't get me wrong, the President is alright. It's just a little bulky and not as nearly as smooth as the Symetre, but I haven't had any problems with my President and have gotten a lot of use from it.

I was going to get a Sahara, but after reading this thread I decided on the Symetre and I'm glad I did. I ended up with a 3000. I was talking to the clerk at BassPro Shops and he said the only difference between the 2500 and the 3000 was the size of the spool. I was all set to get the 2500 when I noticed one other difference: the handle on the 3000 is larger and felt better in my hand.

I put it on a new 7 ft. medium/heavy Bionic Blade (the white one, not the black one) with micro guides and spooled it with 8 pound InvisX fluoroacrbon line. This is also my first time trying fluorocarbon and I love it as well. As a combo it works well for what I do most, which is to throw a lot of t-rigged plastics. If I were to do it over, I would probably put on 12 pound InvisX as I have had a few problems with my knots breaking. The water I fish isn't that clear, especially once the water warms into the 70's and we start getting algae, so line visability isn't as much of an issue and I would be fine with the higher pound test.

Thanks to everyone who suggested the Symetre!
Old 05-06-13, 07:16 PM   #17
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaBasser View Post
I picked up a Shimano Symetre ($100) about a month ago and love it! It's the most expensive spinning reel I've ever bought; so I don't really have much to compare it to. I wasn't impressed with the Pfluger President I bought three years ago (Only $60). Don't get me wrong, the President is alright. It's just a little bulky and not as nearly as smooth as the Symetre, but I haven't had any problems with my President and have gotten a lot of use from it.

I was going to get a Sahara, but after reading this thread I decided on the Symetre and I'm glad I did. I ended up with a 3000. I was talking to the clerk at BassPro Shops and he said the only difference between the 2500 and the 3000 was the size of the spool. I was all set to get the 2500 when I noticed one other difference: the handle on the 3000 is larger and felt better in my hand.

I put it on a new 7 ft. medium/heavy Bionic Blade (the white one, not the black one) with micro guides and spooled it with 8 pound InvisX fluoroacrbon line. This is also my first time trying fluorocarbon and I love it as well. As a combo it works well for what I do most, which is to throw a lot of t-rigged plastics. If I were to do it over, I would probably put on 12 pound InvisX as I have had a few problems with my knots breaking. The water I fish isn't that clear, especially once the water warms into the 70's and we start getting algae, so line visability isn't as much of an issue and I would be fine with the higher pound test.

Thanks to everyone who suggested the Symetre!
If you're having trouble with your knots breaking, make sure you are moistening the line well before you start to tighten the knot at all. What type of knot are you using. I use 8 and 10 pound InvisX with a Palomar knot and haven't broken at the knot in 4+ years. And the only times I did was before I knew to moisten the knot before cinching it up. I, too, fish a lot of t-rigged and wacky-rigged plastics and set the hook about as hard as I think is possible for a short guy like me. I think you should be able to eliminate your knot-breaking problem.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 08:03 AM   #18
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Pflueger Supreme XT (can be easily had for 100 bucks on ebay brand new) and is just flat out a phenomenal reel. So now you can buy 3...
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 05:20 PM   #19
IowaBasser

Thanks Waterboy... I've been using an improved clinch knot (at least I think that's what it is called; 2 loops through the eye, 3 to 5 twists around the main line and back through the 2 loops and through the loop from the end of the twists.)

I just started tying the palomar last year, but didn't use it with the fluorocarbon. With both knots, I always wet the line before cinching it down. I will try the palomar knot with the invisX. Strangely enough, InvisX didn't come with any knot reccomendations either on the box or inside.
Old 05-07-13, 05:52 PM   #20
nobass

here is a real good link for knots ,http://www.netknots.com. then go to fish knot cards
Old 05-29-13, 12:13 PM   #21
Captmikestarrett

One of the most interesting articles I have read was about spinning reels. It seems that most are made from three major Korean firms and one Japanese firm. The Japanese firm was Shimmy and the three Korean firms make all the rest. The Phlueger reels ranked best in finished quality with ABU a close second. Both made by a Korean concern. The Shimmy did very well in certain models and failed in the bubble packaged reels.

There are alternatives that you might consider. Wavespin / USA Reels / Penn / Quantum.
Even some of the saltwater reels can be used. I have a bunch of Quantium PT's that I have fallen in love with. I have about 28 spinning reels for my customers.

The best from my years of beating the crap out of them have been.
Quantum PT Cabo
Wavespin
Okuma high end only

Capt Mike

Last edited by Captmikestarrett; 05-29-13 at 06:50 PM.
Captmikestarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-13, 02:55 PM   #22
Fish30114

I guess this is just adding a detail to the original post, but does anybody have experience with a Van Staal? I often thought 'what the f#%*' before I bought a pair of Van Staal pliars, and they are sublime. I suppose they are above the $300 price point as well....
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-13, 08:39 PM   #23
DVT Mike

The point of diminishing returns on a spinning reel is probably closer to $200-$225, but if you're serious about a higher end spinner, I also am impressed by the Daiwa Certate.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.