Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 10-25-06, 09:04 AM   #1
DEbass'n
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Baitcasting

How long did it take you guys to learn to use the baitcasting rods? I have been told it is more hassle than anything, too many birds nests. But i have also heard that if you learn to use them they are better than spinning rods. Your opinions are greatly appreciated.
Old 10-25-06, 10:53 AM   #2
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

I would still be using spinning gear if it where not for the new technologies that have been introduced in the past decade. Shimano, Diawa, Abu Garcia, just about all the major players in the have introduced new breaking systems that assist the average angler with control over the traditional "birdnesting" or "professional over-runs" that made using baitcasters so difficult in the past. But even with the new advancements in technology, you must "tune" a reel to get the best results for the conditions in which you are fishing. Get familar with the spool tension adjustment knob on these new reels and remember to adjust it for each new lure or weight you are going to use. It's actually pretty easy to get the hang of it when you remember to adjust for weight and wind.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-06, 12:21 PM   #3
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

In my opinion, the baitcaster is another tool in the arsenal. There are certain applications that a spinning rod just won't fit.

My colleagues on this site seem to like the baitcaster for flippin'/pitchin' soft plastics. I like to use my baitcaster for throwin' crankbaits.

Anyway, don't let anyone ruin your interest in learning to use a baitcaster. If you want to learn, you will get it done. I know there are some sites with instructions that some of the members can give you. Guys, can you give De'Bassr the sites with the instructions?

One more thing. You might want to consider spending some extra money and getting a decent baitcasting reel. The year that I got my first baitcaster, my friend also purchased one. He got the cheap plastic reel (it didn't even have a brake adjustment on the inside of the reel. Anyway, we had much more luck learning on the reel that I got (Shimano Chronarch).
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-06, 01:29 PM   #4
skeeter944

it took me about 2 months to get it down pat. it wasnt too hard,but getting good line is really important.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-06, 03:05 PM   #5
DEbass'n

I have 10 # Yo-Zuri flouro and some 12 # trilene mono line. I haven't used the Yo-Zuri line yet, but haven't broken the trilene yet (knock on wood). Hopefully this is good enough if i decide to go ahead and get one.
Old 10-25-06, 05:33 PM   #6
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

at first, i was skeptical about getting one, and i went threw some mad, mad times with it. but in the end, i love my baitcaster, and i am great and hardly ever get a birds nest now.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-06, 06:07 PM   #7
jasonR
BassFishin.Com Member

I bought a cheapie bait caster, spooled up some cheapie wally whacker 1.99 crap line, and casted a 2 oz weight in the front yard. Kinda picked it up fast, and no windows were broken. Amazing.
Old 10-25-06, 08:05 PM   #8
ToPwAt'R GuY

Practice makes perfect. I ve seen some people get it in no time at all and others take months. A lot of it is setting your brakes right.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-06, 08:36 PM   #9
texasbasser

you want to set it to where your lure slowely falls to the ground. also, make sure you put your thumb on the spool when your lure hits the water
Old 10-25-06, 09:10 PM   #10
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Not too difficult. If you get one take a look here before you start:

http://pages.infinit.net/fishing/bait101.htm

Best site I've seen for setting up a baitcaster.
Old 10-26-06, 03:42 AM   #11
zooker

about a year of backlashing before i got decent with one..

zooker
Old 10-26-06, 05:49 AM   #12
dodgeguy

i wanted to throw mine in the water when i first started.2 weeks later i was fine.
Old 10-26-06, 10:17 AM   #13
lizardsrule

The first time trying I just put it away after 2 outings LOL. Then I got the link Reb posted, and it was about 2 weeks before I really had a decent handle on it. I can't stress enough to use the link Reb posted, and do "EXACTLY" what it tells you.

Lizards
Old 10-26-06, 03:32 PM   #14
Raul

One thing is for shure, it took me 2 nanoseconds to get a megabacklash the first time I made a cast with my first one.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-06, 03:48 PM   #15
weaverml34

Another good tip is to make sure there is nothing overhead when casting. When I was first learning to use a baitcaster I wasn't paying attention to some tree branches hanging over my head. Needless to say right after I made the cast my lure hit a branch and before I knew it I had a birds nest from hell. I also found it easier to learn how to use a baitcaster by casting 3/4 or side armed. It makes the timing easier for me on when to release the spool. I think I also tend to make smoother cast this way.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-06, 05:45 PM   #16
fishinfortune

you might want to buy cheap line to start with. you will use alot of it pulling out birds nests.
fishinfortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-06, 06:31 PM   #17
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinfortune View Post
you might want to buy cheap line to start with. you will use alot of it pulling out birds nests.
that should read "chopping out the birdnest"

zooker
Old 10-26-06, 07:30 PM   #18
texasbasser

but, cheap line backlashes more than good line...
Old 10-26-06, 07:41 PM   #19
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbasser View Post
but, cheap line backlashes more than good line...
Excuses, in 20 + years of fishing with baitcasters of all kind I still haventīt found one that I canīt backlash efficiently, profusely and thoroughly .....it didnīt matter if it had good line or bad line in it.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-06, 01:38 PM   #20
pig n jig

The thing to look for as your reel is creating the birds nest, is at what point did the line on the spool start to blow up ? If it was on the initial cast, you need to adjust to increase your centrifugal weight, or magnetic brake system. If it happens when your lure has landed on the cast, you need to tighten the tension on your spool tension knob.I love baitcasting reels, they will make spinning equipment feel obsolete once you learn to use them.Learning to feather and control the spool with your thumb will allow you to cast farther and control backlashes before they get started. I hope this helps. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-06, 12:25 AM   #21
Skeeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
The thing to look for as your reel is creating the birds nest, is at what point did the line on the spool start to blow up ? If it was on the initial cast, you need to adjust to increase your centrifugal weight, or magnetic brake system. If it happens when your lure has landed on the cast, you need to tighten the tension on your spool tension knob.I love baitcasting reels, they will make spinning equipment feel obsolete once you learn to use them.Learning to feather and control the spool with your thumb will allow you to cast farther and control backlashes before they get started. I hope this helps. P N J
Excellant points PnJ. Would also like to say that no matter how proficient one becomes, you'll still get the occasional backlash/birdsnests. It's all part of the game.

Skeeter
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-06, 01:30 AM   #22
WTL

DE,
all I will say is learn to use them well and you will come to prefer them. They leave you in a lot more control of everything. I hate it when I'm forced to throw spinning (normally light lures). I can cast spinning tackle as good if not better than most, but I'm still limited compared to a baitcaster.
Old 03-17-07, 02:45 PM   #23
Dannie Zimmerman
BassFishin.Com Member

I can remember using my first bait caster, back in the 70's. The 2 guys in the boat with me were steadily catching bass with their bait casters. I was back lashing about every cast. Mistake #1, First learn how to use the reel in your front yard then go in a boat. Follow the directions, take your time, and practice, practice and practice. Once you learn how to cast it, you will not want anything else.
Dannie Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-07, 03:11 PM   #24
Recon8541

I use my bc for almost everything. I use the abu 4600c4 and love it. one point that may help is adjustment. crank the bait to within say 4 inches of the rod tip....then slowly loosen the spool control until the bait just barely falls...this helps alot. For those times when we all get back lashes. I simply hold my thumb nail against the line and reel it all in so the bait is about 12-18" from the reel, then release the spool and hand pull the line out until past the backlash...this gets 90% out rather easily...I hope this helped!

cheers
Recon8541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 11:34 AM   #25
WIUbassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverml34 View Post
Another good tip is to make sure there is nothing overhead when casting. When I was first learning to use a baitcaster I wasn't paying attention to some tree branches hanging over my head. Needless to say right after I made the cast my lure hit a branch and before I knew it I had a birds nest from hell. I also found it easier to learn how to use a baitcaster by casting 3/4 or side armed. It makes the timing easier for me on when to release the spool. I think I also tend to make smoother cast this way.
I agree this is usually the only time i'll get backlashes and they are vicious. Also if you accidently get the lure hooked on the rod before you cast...
I personally went from just using your basic pushbutton spincaster to using a baitcaster, then when I bought a spinning reel later I hardly want to use it. Finally I think whoever said it was totally right about buying a quality reel. After using a "Red Rhino" baitcaster(no offense if anyone uses them I had alot of good outings with it) and then upgrading to a Quantum Energy baitcaster, its not even comparable, so if you got the extra scratch spend it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.