Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-23-08, 03:31 PM   #1
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Question When to change your line?

How often do you guys change the line in your reels? Braid? Mono?

I carry 3 rods - 2 spinning and 1 baitcaster (which I rarely fish with) and I don't change my line that often unless I get hung up a lot or have a big birdsnest I can't fix. I have switched to braid on my main spinning rod and (now that I know how to not backlash ro birdnest) I absolutely love the braid. I still use a mono on my other spinning reel but I use that mainly for my buzz baits, spinners, or floating frogs. I am not sure what I want to put on the baitcaster just yet. I backlash and birdnest that dang thing a lot. I am so frustrated with it, I am thinking of selling it to a friend.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-08, 08:17 PM   #2
bothomas
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Dont Sell The Baitcaster!
bothomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-08, 08:58 PM   #3
Marty

For me, line lasts for years, mono or braid. I generally don't change until I have too little line left due to retying. An exception is when mono is abraded for almost a full cast, or otherwise damaged. Undamaged, line can last for years if not stored out in the elements.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-08, 09:20 PM   #4
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
For me, line lasts for years, mono or braid. I generally don't change until I have too little line left due to retying. An exception is when mono is abraded for almost a full cast, or otherwise damaged. Undamaged, line can last for years if not stored out in the elements.
That's about the way it goes for me as well. I was just wondering if it would benefit me fishing-wise to change it out after a certain time period or number of "hours" fishing.
Old 06-23-08, 09:20 PM   #5
Robbie R.
BassFishin.Com Member

Maybe you don't have it adjusted correctly.

Adjust knob until 1/2oz lure falls very slowly and might even stop after going down 8 or 10 inches or so.

Then set magnetic control on 5 for starters.... IF it has mag. control.

With these settings, you should be able to cast side arm (as hard as you can cast) with your eyes closed and never get a backlash.

Hope this helps.

What reel is it ?
Robbie R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-08, 09:26 PM   #6
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bothomas View Post
Dont Sell The Baitcaster!
I am not initially planning to. I use it when I fish buzz baits and some spinner baits. I just usually do not fish those kinds of baits often. I prefer soft trigged plastics and when I fish plastics, I prefer spinning reels. Most of my fishing is from the banks and I hate to carry around more than one rod around a lake. I even hate carrying around a small tackle box.
That is why I bought one of these -

Old 06-23-08, 09:37 PM   #7
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I change my mono out every season. (gives me something to do in the winter ) I will occasionally chang eit twice a year. Although I know some change it every month, or even after every tourney if they fish them. Also rety when it gets frayed.

fluorocarbon I rety when it gets frayed, and put more on when there is not a lot left. It lasts longer than mono because of it's UV resistance, but most fluoros weaken greatly when when you backlash with them, or get a knot. I've gotten a bad backlash with fluoro then on the next cast with it, have my lure snap off and go flying through the air.

Braid can last you a few years, so in the long run, it is cheaper than mono. I never really have any problems with fraying on braid.

BB
Old 06-23-08, 09:41 PM   #8
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie R. View Post
Maybe you don't have it adjusted correctly.

Adjust knob until 1/2oz lure falls very slowly and might even stop after going down 8 or 10 inches or so.

Then set magnetic control on 5 for starters.... IF it has mag. control.

With these settings, you should be able to cast side arm (as hard as you can cast) with your eyes closed and never get a backlash.

Hope this helps.

What reel is it ?
One of my fishing buddies helped me set up all the switches and magnetic knobs. So I don't have a problem casting it. I actually was a quick learner with long casts. I have a problem pitching it or flipping it small distances. That is when I birdnest the stupid thing. Like I said just above, I just prefer soft trigged plastics using a spinning reel. But I do use the baitcaster for longer casts using a spinner bait or buzzbait.

My baitcaster is a nice one. It is an Abu Garcia Silver Max, 6 bearings, 6.2:1 gear ratio with a 6.5' Berkley Lightning Rod medium action. It took me forever to find a left handed baitcaster and I stumbled upon this one at Dick's Sporting Goods for $29.99 after mail in rebate (which I took full advantage of). The retail price was $89.99.

I will likely change out the mono line to a braid line soon. I will have to mess with the settings again but I will have some help.
Old 06-23-08, 09:46 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Wow! 90 buck sofr s silvermax, big rip-off. $60 is what I believe they are, but the 30 bucks after mail in rebait was good too. When I pitch (cause I can't flip for crap) I turn my brake off. I still use the Spool tension knob. Just learn to use your thumb, and practice till you get good at it. I find Braid the easiest to use on a BC reel, and fluorocarbon the worst.

BB
Old 06-23-08, 09:56 PM   #10
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Wow! 90 buck sofr s silvermax, big rip-off. $60 is what I believe they are, but the 30 bucks after mail in rebait was good too. When I pitch (cause I can't flip for crap) I turn my brake off. I still use the Spool tension knob. Just learn to use your thumb, and practice till you get good at it. I find Braid the easiest to use on a BC reel, and fluorocarbon the worst.

BB
I am very new to pricing on reels so anytime I get a "name" brand for $30, it is a deal for me.

I will try the braid on the baitcaster. I think I will use the 30# test that I tried on my spinning reel.

Right now I have two spinning rods (one with 10# Sufix braid and one with 12 # Sufix low vis mono) and one baitcaster (soon to have 30# power pro braid)
Old 06-23-08, 10:03 PM   #11
BigBassin144

That should work perfectly. I use 30-40lb line on a lot of my baitcasters. I also find that getting backlashes in braid doesn't weaken the line like it will with mono and especially lfuorocarbon. I've also found backlashes to be easier to get our with braid. Just be carful not to cut yourself, but I'm sure you know that form the 10lb

BB
Old 06-23-08, 10:05 PM   #12
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Just be carful not to cut yourself, but I'm sure you know that form the 10lb

BB
Yes I do!!!!!
Old 06-23-08, 10:08 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Getting cut by line hurts too. I cut myself on some 15lb Fluorocarbon! I must have pulled WAY too hard.

BB
Old 06-23-08, 10:53 PM   #14
Jim80

give 30lb power pro a shot and don't give up on the baitcaster flipping is almost the same as learning to cast distance , mind your thumb , and keep a smooth fluid motion throughout the cast . just because you are throwing a shorter distance don't forget the thumb . plus braid on the BC is a lot easier to un nest but stick with it they are a rewarding reel when you fully have the hang of it .
Old 06-23-08, 11:38 PM   #15
Fishnngolfn

My two main problems with flipping a baitcaster -
1. I forget about my thumb and it birdnests when the lure hits the water.
2. I am not very accurate and often flip it right into the tree branch I was trying to go under.

I guess with some practice I will get the hang of it.

Nothing will make me learn faster than fixing a birdnest while my buddy pulls in the 4 to 5 pounder in the area I was trying to fish.
Old 06-23-08, 11:44 PM   #16
Jim80

try to skip your lure , think like skipping a stone but remember not to over cast , cause if you do you'll hit the tree you are standing next to instead . put a plug on and practice throwing side arm casts in you backyard , it will help .
Old 06-23-08, 11:49 PM   #17
BigBassin144

Try Pitching, it is a lot easier than flipping, IMO.

BB
Old 06-23-08, 11:52 PM   #18
Jim80

it is easier to pitch i'll agree there , but it always helps to have a arsenal , thats why we have so much tackle .
Old 06-23-08, 11:54 PM   #19
Fishnngolfn

I usually side arm cast both my spinning rods and my BC. But when I try to skip my BC, I usually birdnest or my aim is way off. If I am trying to get into a tight spot, I usually just use my spinning rod. Sadly, it looks like I need to bite the bullet and just set aside some time to practice with my BC.
Old 06-24-08, 01:55 AM   #20
carolina-rig-01

i usually try to re-spool all my rods about 3 times a summer and 3 times a winter. may be overkill but better safe than sorry.
Old 06-24-08, 09:04 PM   #21
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I respool most of my reels every month depending on where I'm fishing. I fish 2 tournaments a month from March until October. Dang it I use a lot of line!!!
Old 06-24-08, 09:55 PM   #22
mazz
BassFishin.Com Member

I change my line several times a year! You get a lot of nicks on your line that you can see, don't want to loose that 10 pounder because of $5 worth of line.
mazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-08, 10:53 PM   #23
pignjig

Rapala has a new mono out that's dirt cheap, at least at Gander Mnt. Plus, it comes with a #5 shadrap. It's like $5 for 250 yards (I believe). Changing line wouldn't be so expensive if all of the manufacturers did that...
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-08, 11:17 PM   #24
BigBassin144

Can you say, backing. Right now I use the free Trilene I get from NAFC. Nothing better than free fishing gear, even if it is garbage.

BB
Old 06-24-08, 11:27 PM   #25
pignjig

Have you used it, BB? I was wondering if it was any good or not...?
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.