Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-27-10, 11:20 PM   #1
muddy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Been thinking about trying braid

Anyone have experience ( actually have used) either Cabelas Si or Fireline, only 2 braids I am interested in trying, I am going to Cableas on Sat, and will leave with one of these 2 brands, any experienced input welcomed.
Thanks
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 01:20 AM   #2
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I don't have any experience with either of those, but I'm curious as to why those are the only 2 you're considering?
I love Sufix Performance Braid myself.
Old 01-28-10, 01:54 AM   #3
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've used both. I am not a fan of fireline, it's not a true braid and I found it very stiff. I'm told it softens with use - I didn't have in on my reels long enough to find out. The Cabela's is ok. I wonder also why you've limited yourself to just the two brands, if that's what you want to do, I think you may be setting yourself up for dissapointment. As M & M above, I like Sufix myself and that's after trying a lot of braid that convinced me I really didn't like the stuff. I like the Sufix and have it on my spinning and casting reels that I use for jigs & plastics. I don't use braid with treble hook baits. What are you going to spool it on? I like 20# on spinning - lighter gives me fits with wind knots, another reason I was slow to convert. Casting - 30# normally and I move up to 50# for jig fishing.
If you are new to braid, one word of caution - if you hang up, don't wrap it around your hand to break it off, like you probably do out of habit witn mono. You'll cut yourself. Scissors are a must to cut it or a sharp blade. I like fluro leaders for most applications with braid. And as it's expensive stuff, using filler line under it will make your braind go farther and electrical tape between the filler and braid will keep the braid from digging in to the underlying filler. How much braid to add? Fill the spool with the filler line, tie on a lure and give it a heave, pull off another 10 yards or so, cut it off and tie on the braid.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 01-28-10 at 02:06 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 07:45 AM   #4
muddy

I fish with guys who use Power Pro, both types of Fire line and many have gone to the Cabelas Si plus. The only one I tried was Power Pro, not impressed, but I have nothing to compare it to. I have spoken to my friends and these are the 2 i will be willing to try from those experiences, club members and what I have read, beyond all the name brand hype and what every one else does, not to discredit any of your choices
Thanks for the warning about not waraping it and pulling it , you are the 5 or 6 peron to tell me this, it is smart for you not to presume I wouldnt do that and get hurt
Thans for your input, I iwll probablly make up my mind at Cabelas
Old 01-28-10, 09:28 AM   #5
bassboogieman

Ha! Well it's better to hope you can pass on your mistakes to others so they don't repeat them. I started with 10# braid, almost like thread. Yep, first hang up I took a wrap and yanked it to break it off and sliced my little finger, right behind the first knuckle, to the bone. That hurt for a week. I hate to admit my stupidity, but it could have been avoided.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 09:35 AM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

My recomendations would also be for Sufix Performance braid. (I do believe they still have their money back guarantee if you don't like the line) Sufix performance braid is with 6 strands of fiber so it is smoother and rounder than power pro.

My other choice would be Fireline Braid, not the original fireline. I haven't gotten to use the new braid, but I will next time I need some braid. I've heard great things about it and wouldn't doubt them. It is one of few braids made with 8 strands of fiber.

The fused fireline, IMO, is junk. I tried it once and even KVD line and lure didn't help it very much. I had it spooled on my Shimano Sahara, and sent the rest of it with the Sahara when I sold it.

BB
Old 01-28-10, 10:08 AM   #7
doc

Power Pro is the best braid i've tried.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 10:47 AM   #8
nofearengineer

I can't say enough good things about Fireline Braid. I was having terrible trouble with Power Pro braid, Stren Sonic Braid, etc. Fireline Braid is very round because it uses 8 strands, so it is much smoother, and thus quieter. I also haven't had any just snap on me during a cast like I did with Power Pro.
Old 01-28-10, 05:53 PM   #9
muddy

Thanks, is the Firline you used Crystal and how is it for fsihing weeds. Whats going on is I have 2 MS Slammers, 25 a pop, I want to fish them at night around weeds, and i do not want to loose the slammers. I am using a 7 ft Fast/MH rod with an old school abu reel. I want it to use with these swim baits and frogs
Old 01-29-10, 12:32 AM   #10
Garry2rs

There are two Firelines.
One is braided the other is fused.
The finish on the fused type was quite stiff. It wore off fast and left the line very soft. I believe that it was wax. Many people felt that the flat cross section of the line made it better for spinning reels.

Fireline braid is a very nice line. It has a soft silk feel and doesn't need breaking in like the old stuff. I use 15lb Tracer for Texas and Wacky rigging Senko's in very clear water.

I have used a lot of Powerpro and Tuff Line XP. Both are very good lines IMO.

Crystal is an undyed version of the fused Fireline. It's okay but nothing special. It looks to me like Butcher's string in the water, but the fish don't seem to mind...

If you want to be happy with Braid, buy a line that is roughly the same diameter as the mono you are replacing.

I use 10 to 20 pound Braid for spinning 30 to 50 for casting and 80lb. for 8 and 10 inch swimbaits.
Garry2R's
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 08:03 AM   #11
muddy

Thanks all; I am going to get the Fireline Braid, not the fused in 50#, which is 12 lb mono diameter. Since the water is still hard here it will be a while til I actually get to try it
Old 02-04-10, 03:59 PM   #12
lilmule

16 pd Fireline worked fine for me on spinning outfits,I use power pro 45Pd for frog fishing or 85 gorilla braid,and no its not overkill stick a 6 lbr back in the mat and have 5lbs of grass around it takes a hefty rod and some backbone to winch it out.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 04:06 PM   #13
muddy

I picked up Cablea's SI plus, I got the 50 lbs/150 yd spools for 9.99 each. I bought 2 of them, a good p[rice, now lets see how I do with it
Old 02-04-10, 07:59 PM   #14
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Power Pro is the best braid i've tried.
Agreed... for many of these florida lakes and ponds with heavy vegetation, the green Power Pro braid is the best way to go...
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 01:09 AM   #15
BeaverIslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I can't say enough good things about Fireline Braid. I was having terrible trouble with Power Pro braid, Stren Sonic Braid, etc. Fireline Braid is very round because it uses 8 strands, so it is much smoother, and thus quieter. I also haven't had any just snap on me during a cast like I did with Power Pro.
I love how quiet it is, but I had a scuffed up spool last season. Anybody else purchase a dud spool of Fireline Braid?
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 11:24 PM   #16
ruasoonerfan2
BassFishin.Com Member

I've tried just about all of them and my favorite is still Spiderwire 10/50 Moss Green.
ruasoonerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 05:02 PM   #17
Garry2rs

Hi Muddy;
I was using 30lb. Braid on all my baitcasters.
I had a few break-offs in mid-air, when I threw tangles...
Last year I switched everything to 40 pound and have had no more trouble. Since you asked about this brand, I have had good success with the new braided Fireline.
In the past I tried 50 lb. PowerPro but though it was a little heavier than I need for average Bass fishing.
If you are thinking about using braid on a spinning reel, I said before that I generally use 15 or 20 pound Fireline braid. On the other hand I throw everything heavier than 3/8 ounce on a casting rod. I have used 40 pound test braid on a spinning reel in a pinch, but wouldn't recommend it.
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.