Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-12-06, 09:26 PM   #1
GAfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Winter Fishing

I went out the other day fishing, and didn't get a bite. I mainly fished with jigs, black and blue, black and red, and watermellon. I also tried cranks, and lizards, but nothing seemed to work. Any tips on what am or not doing right. Anything would help.
GAfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-06, 09:53 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

If you're in a pond situation I would throw to the deepest area and work it so slow as possible.
If you have access to a lake find a lake map and go over a channel and preferably close to a point or a curve in the point.
Either way even with live bait its slow going.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-06, 10:18 PM   #3
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

number 1,try finesse worms on a split shot or dropshot worms.number 2, try a 5 or 6 inch straight tail in a natural color fished slowly on a texas or caorolina rig. heres is a question for ya-how long did you fish,where did you fish,what were the conditions,ect... if you provide this info,you might get more replies.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-06, 03:36 AM   #4
scrap
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i fished the river, it was way up, and i didnt catch a thing, maybe a cold, although the weather was beautiful, i thought i would catch something, cuz i thought there should have been one lazy stupid fish close by. maybe the only close by was lazy dumb me. oh well..lol its winter.......be happy
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-06, 08:27 PM   #5
bass kicker

were you fishin from a boat or from shore more info is need to answer the question better

i would try drop shoting senkos or tikis or dingers
Old 01-13-06, 10:30 PM   #6
Fishie

I would try fishing the deepest holes and deep areas that are out of the current. Tipically bass in winter stay out of the current becasue of their metab.
Old 01-13-06, 11:28 PM   #7
basstech

Well fellers, Don't believe everything ya read. Went out last saturday in a boat. Fished deep points, vertical ledges. Inside and outside bends of main channel....me and my buddy didn't get a bite one, either of us, in 7hrs. of fishing. I went out the next morning from the bank to the back of a cove that get's a lot of weeds during warm season and fished no deeper than 10 ft. of water. Mind ya the water temp was 39 degrees. I through a silver black back Dt6 or DT10...not sure which and just realed fast enough to make it wiggle and scrape the bottom. With in 30 minutes I had 2 4#+ one about 3#, and another 2.5# fish...I decided I wanted to throw a custom painter sus. rogue at that point and caught all shorts from then on but probably caught 30 fish or so. All bass except for one little 9" crappie. It weren't much bigger than that rogue. All in a 25 yd. stretch from the bank in shallow cold water and all the fish hit in less than 6 ft. of water. This whole notion that all the bass are going to be in thier "deep winter haunts" is just b.s. as well as the same being in the summer. Last year in december of 2004 was slaying fish in 40 degree water on Pop-r's.
Old 01-14-06, 12:48 AM   #8
bass kicker

i dont have much if any info on winter bass fishing

but common sense would say deep cut along a weed line

at least that works for use in late fall is like some of your states mid winter
it is very cold in canada
Old 01-14-06, 02:31 PM   #9
Fishie

Told yah they would be out of the current. LOL sometimes it's a combination of deep water out of the current like I said.
Old 01-16-06, 09:22 PM   #10
GAfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Sorry I haven't responded, I don't really get a lot of online time. I was fishing in a boat on a lake. we fished about everything possible. we found some points, drop offs, and some deep docks. We even fished the shallow waters too. And there was nothing, nada...
GAfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-06, 12:25 AM   #11
basstech

Did you have a sonar, The main key this time of year is finding the bait fish. Primarily schools of shad. They are balled up and bass tend to feed heaviest on them this time of year in this part of the country (which isn't much different that what go's on in lake lanier). You find bait balls. you'll find bass near by.
Old 01-19-06, 08:13 AM   #12
1FASTLASER

There ya go. BassTech is another that was thinking outside the box and proved that it aint always true cause it's written.

Ga

Do you know what the temp was and did you have a graph. 2 things that are invaluable, even more so in the winter. Simple equation. Find the bait the bass are close. Then figure out what and how they want it and dont be afraid to experiment.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.