Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-15-07, 10:43 PM   #1
Southern_Angler_#1
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Wind?????

How do yall find fish during windy conditions and what lures are productive under these conditions???
Southern_Angler_#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 11:30 PM   #2
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

spinnerbaits, spoons, anything flashy works good for me... mostly on shallow hydrilla flats.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 12:04 AM   #3
hackattack
BassFishin.Com Active Member

wind is good for lakes w/ shad because it stirs up algae and stuff that they feed on, thus making them active and turning on the bass
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 01:21 AM   #4
flamez
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

funny you'd make a post on wind went out today with a pretty good wind blowing i just stuck to an outside weed edge chucking a white terminator spinnerbait double willow and man where they hammering it sadly i had NO trailer hook i missed around 5 or 6 was running it just below the waves with my face to the wind or perpendicular to the wind and man they couldnt stand it can get rough casting into the wind but i hate going against it just too unnatural

well anyway spinnerbaits and traps would be a good choice
Old 03-16-07, 09:37 AM   #5
betursweetbass

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

From shore, I will usually use heavier weights and go with plastics and or spinnerbaits.
If I'm on the boat, I will turn the bow into the wind or seek shelter in a cove if possible using the same baits as mentioned above. Depending on where the structure is or the cover I'm trying to fish, I sometimes will let the wind/current blow/drag the boat over the area.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 09:38 AM   #6
BassAddict

A spinnerbait is my favorite in the wind as well!

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 10:27 AM   #7
Mac1

If the wind has been in a consistant direction for a length of time......fish whatever the wind blows up against.......if it's blowing into the bank, fish the bank areas with spinnerbaits. Also fish the leeward side of humps if they are anywhere near the surface. Also throw a few to the windward side as well.

We had an all day wind last spring blowing against the rip rap. One fellow throwing a chart/white spinnerbait made one pass along the rap and picked up a 3, a 5 and a 7 pounder. Hard to control the boat in such conditions, without blowing into the bank, but he angled his bow into the wind and by angling his trolling motor, he slid quite sideways to the bank, casting ahead at a 45 degree angle. He noted small minnows in the area, being fed upon by the shad, which in turn were feeding the bass.

You may also find mudlines near shallow shoals and humps.....worth a good try there also.
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 11:25 AM   #8
DadofJolly
BassFishin.Com Member

Here in West TX. wind is just part of the game about 80% of the time. Any day with less than 20mph is considered an easy day for the wind here. During summer nights if the wind is blowing against the damn the fish will be right on the bank. We use black spinner baits and 10in black worms, TX, or Carolina rigged. Any time EXCEPT spring we like to fish the wind blown banks very shallow. We like jerkbaits, crank baits, and lighter Carolina rigs. However, in the spring, when fish are looking to spawn, we avoid the wind. We can usually find fish on windy banks but we look for little areas that have a wind break. If we are on the windy side of the lake in spring we look for small cuts or "car sized" coves in the bank or larger groups of trees or bushes. We fish the "bank side" of the trees this time of year. That is, the side of the trees that face the bank. Jerkbaits, particularly the Smithwick suspending super rogue in clown pattern would be my first choice.
Good luck & God Bless.
Old 03-16-07, 03:19 PM   #9
flamez

try keeping a kayak in position in wind :P
Old 03-16-07, 07:01 PM   #10
Curado

I fish wind blown points with spinnerbaits and crankbaits.
Old 03-16-07, 07:08 PM   #11
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_Angler_#1 View Post
How do yall find fish during windy conditions and what lures are productive under these conditions???

i do it with a foot on the troller and a crank bait/spinner bait rod in hand..

zooker
Old 03-17-07, 03:41 PM   #12
Southern_Angler_#1
BassFishin.Com Member

Thank you guys for the help me and a freind fought twenty+ mph winds and caught 22 fish off of spinners and cranks at the mouth of a cove that was protected from the wind. We cast perpindicular to the wind over a creek bed and killed em. Thanks for all the tips preciate it...
Southern_Angler_#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-07, 03:56 PM   #13
JB

once the weather gets warmer try that buzzbait on windy banks, it makes for a lot of fun when you can switch back and forth with the spinnerbait.
For windy days I like the white skirted buzzbaits, and white spinnerbait with tandem willow leaf blades.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-07, 05:01 PM   #14
keithdog

spinner baits, crankbaits and jig n pigs, in that order.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.