Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-10, 01:54 AM   #1
JackMahogoff
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Berkley Gulp Alive

Hi everyone.

I've been lurking on these forums for a few weeks, reading the different posts and reviews. I have to say I am very impressed with the collective knowledge of this community, and more importantly with how friendly everyone is. I have learned a ton just from reading different threads.

So, on to my question. I Stumbled upon an advertisement for Berkley's Gulp Alive bait and was wondering if anyone has tried it. From the youtube comments i've read it is the bait equivalent of somewhere between your wife letting you bring home your favorite waitress at hooter's, and gaining x-ray vision. But, we all know how reliable those types of information sources can be

So, if you have tried it, what are your thoughts? What type did you use and how did you use it? Was it worth it? Did it honestly get you more strikes?

I'm being specific to Bass here, though I will probably purchase some of the Minnow heads for my wife and daughter to bream fish with.

Any info is appreciated, thanx in advance!

russ
JackMahogoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 11:42 AM   #2
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome to the boards.

Tried it and didn't like it. Didn't catch anyting. I might give it another shot in the future since some have good results with it.
Old 02-20-10, 01:54 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

I haven't tried it based on reports I read here. Apparently it will dry out and get hard as a rock if you don't keep it in the brine or whatever it comes in. It just sounded messy and more trouble than it is worth.
Old 02-20-10, 02:42 PM   #4
bassackwards
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use the gulp nightcrawler spray and I love it, now for the baits don't care for them much.
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 03:47 PM   #5
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use the Gulp! products quite often and I like them, especially the Shaky Worms, Crappie Nibbles, and the Jerk Shad.
I have only used the Gulp Alive! Garlic scented spray, which I spray on spinnerbaits and jigs. I don't think it helped at all with the spinners, but I do believe it improved the appeal of the jigs, likely because the jigs are moved slower and the fish had more time to get a taste.

Gulp products are NOT user friendly, however. They stink, they're slippery and hard to hook, they dry out after a few hours when exposed to air, and they're not very durable. But you can dunk them in the lake every hour or so, if you have a Gulp! setup but you're not using it. So thats not that big of a deal.

I asked the baitshop guys on a local walleye lake about the Gulp Alive! Nightcrawler and Leeches and how they compare, and they say some people love them and some hate them. So that didn't help much. I didn't try them. I bought live critters instead.

I will continue at least to use Gulp! Shaky Worms and the Gulp Alive sprays on jigs.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 08:05 AM   #6
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

I like to use the leeches on a jig, caught lots a fish on them. all i do is put the leech on like you would any other trailer. and I like to use the 3 1/2 minnow on the drop shot. but like every1 else said u either like them or hate them, for me up in michigan they work and i'll continue to use them
twigass is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.