Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 04-18-11, 01:46 PM   #1
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default What makes a buzzbait roll onto its side?

First off, I realize I mostly use what you would concider "cheap lures" such as the $1 spinnerbaits and buzzbaits from Walmart, but for the most part these work fine for me....although I'm unsure if the bait that gave me so much trouble yesterday came off the dollar rack or not.

It was a small triple blade buzzbait....and if I held my rod tip really high and reeled just bearly fast enough to keep the bait on the top of the water it did ok, but any faster and the dumb thing would seem to turn left and then roll over on its side.

I tried bending the arm with the blade left, right, up and down, but only succeeded in making matters worse....it seemed nothing I did helped.....So my question becomes. Is this nothing more then a tuning issue, or does this lure have other issues that causes the roll over problem?
Old 04-18-11, 01:52 PM   #2
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Sounds like the spinnerbait is not heavy enough to take the faster speeds. This is common in lighter baits especially inexpensive baits.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-11, 01:57 PM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Too much friction on the blade. Instead of just turning the blade, the whole thing is trying to turn.
Old 04-18-11, 01:59 PM   #4
66KingFisher

Bryce, are you saying I should take some of the pitch out of the blades?
Old 04-18-11, 05:19 PM   #5
nobass

tune it tie them to your outside rear veiw mirror as you drive to lake this will wear on the shaft and reduce the drag on blade
Old 04-18-11, 09:03 PM   #6
nofearengineer

You just need to hog out the hole the shaft is going through. Nobass' method will work great.
Old 04-18-11, 10:16 PM   #7
Bassboss

I've read the car trick for tilting buzzbaits. I stocked up on all world cranks and buzzed out side the winder all the way to the lake... I got some funny looks but hey, it worked!
Old 04-18-11, 10:48 PM   #8
66KingFisher

Thanks guys, I'll try that.
Old 04-19-11, 01:41 AM   #9
carolina-rig-01

I haven't heard of fixing a buzzbait by hanging it out the window on the way to the lake. Not saying it doesn't work but I just haven't heard of doing that for that specific problem. I have heard of guys doing that to break a buzzbait in though, once they are used a while they will make a little different sound that often gets more bites. Doing this does seem to free the blade up though so you can reel it slower and the blade will turn easier keeping it on top at a slower speed, so it would make sense that it might fix your problem. I got on a really good buzzbait bite in the middle of my tourney season last year and I wanted to break in a bunch of buzzbaits in a hurry. I had a few that I had been using for years and they were really broken in but never knowing how many you may lose in a tournament I really wanted to have several others that were already broken in and ready to go just in case. I rigged up a way to break in several buzzbaits at one time and I did it in the garage and never had to worry about losing one on the highway. I just left them in front of the fan for about 12 hours and they were ready to go. It was a 2 day tournament so on the morning of day 1 I took the ones that were in front of the fan with me and replaced them with other new ones and let them break in while I was on the lake.

carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-11, 12:13 PM   #10
lilmule

The fan trick works nicely.I do all mine that way,even the 1 dollar walmart ones will run better,I also crimp the rivet, makes squeal more since rivet isnt turning with it.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-11, 04:26 PM   #11
M_A_C_K
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I bet the 24 hours of electricity to run those fans equals out the same if you just bought a more expensive buzzbait lol... But I buy those dollar ones too lol
M_A_C_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-11, 05:46 PM   #12
lilmule

Even more expensive buzzbaits need tuning and that is one method,a definate difference in the sound the stock one makes and the sound of one with holes wallowed out a tad,coupled with the eaze of running eaiser.
I place mine on air vents from ac or heat,runs when thermostat demands,so no waste,not for where unatttended children or pets are permitted.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-11, 06:34 PM   #13
M_A_C_K

I wasn't trying to be mean or anything... just thought it was a valid point/joke... i never tuned my spinnerbaits i got from walmart... now i'm curious if i should
Old 04-19-11, 09:50 PM   #14
66KingFisher

I remember seeing a video on Youtube that showed how to mod a new Walmart buzzbait by adding a bead, and doing a couple of other things that slip my mind at the moment....Guess I need to hunt that video up again...lol

When I lost the buzzbait I'd been using and had to switch, the very first thing my partner said on its first cast was "That one doesn't squeek like the other one did"....lol....Yup, I noticed that right off too.

Guess I'll break out the box fan or the air hose and see if I can't spin some squeek into my el'cheapo buzzbaits....lol
Old 04-19-11, 10:00 PM   #15
M_A_C_K

The only thing I don't like about those 1 dollar buzz baits from walmart is you have to really reel them in fast to get them to chop the top of the water like a buzz bait is supposed to do... I did put a bead on it like you we're talking... guess I need to do some more tweeking... I noticed that those 1 dollar walmart buzz baits have the blade/shaft pointing at an angle when others are parallel... maybe that's the tweak that will make it chop the water without having to reel so fast/hard.
Old 04-19-11, 10:43 PM   #16
66KingFisher

If I remember correctly, they had you drill a hole in each of the blades....that might add the chop your talkin about.
Old 04-20-11, 01:41 AM   #17
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_A_C_K View Post
I bet the 24 hours of electricity to run those fans equals out the same if you just bought a more expensive buzzbait lol... But I buy those dollar ones too lol
First of all those aren't the $1.00 buzzbaits. They are Booyahs and Lunker Lures. Nothing against the $1.00 buzzbaits, they work well but I prefer a 1/2 oz. Buzzbait and the $1.00 buzzbaits don't come in 1/2 oz. Secondly I doubt that those little box fans draw that much electricity, but I could be wrong. But I do know this, if your fishing line broke and you lost one of those buzzbaits on the highway and got to the lake and didn't have your buzzbaits then the electricity would have been worth it. Plus this way I can break in several at one time and you are limited with the number of places you can tie a buzzbait on the boat and tow vehicle.

Last edited by carolina-rig-01; 04-20-11 at 01:49 AM.
Old 04-20-11, 02:30 PM   #18
M_A_C_K

I wasn't trying to offend... sorry if i did
Old 04-20-11, 03:29 PM   #19
pig n jig

3 bladed buzzbaits were meant to be fished slower than a two bladed one.Maybe you are going too fast on your retrieve ? P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-11, 08:19 PM   #20
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_A_C_K View Post
I wasn't trying to offend... sorry if i did
I wasn't offended, I just wanted to explain the method behind my madness lol.
Old 04-20-11, 08:41 PM   #21
M_A_C_K

That's ok as you can tell with some of my tutorials I got some madness that needed some strong felt explaining lol
Old 04-20-11, 08:56 PM   #22
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
3 bladed buzzbaits were meant to be fished slower than a two bladed one.Maybe you are going too fast on your retrieve ? P N J
I thought that was the case, but this peticular buzzbait seemed to have one speed it worked at.....any slower and it sank below the surface, and any faster and it would roll onto its side.
Old 04-21-11, 08:58 AM   #23
MississippiBoy

Try adding a little cup to the blades...with a pair of needlenose pliers, put a little more bend in the tip of the blades, just the last 1/2 inch or so. That may help keep it on top at a slower speed.
Old 04-21-11, 03:37 PM   #24
M_A_C_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Try adding a little cup to the blades...with a pair of needlenose pliers, put a little more bend in the tip of the blades, just the last 1/2 inch or so. That may help keep it on top at a slower speed.
Be really careful bending the blade tho... If you bend it not exactly the same as the other side it will make it worse.... just a sidenote
Old 04-21-11, 06:39 PM   #25
66KingFisher

So far I've been really good at making it worse.....lol

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.