Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 04-19-11, 10:00 PM   #1
TBone66
BassFishin.Com Member

Default BPS Extreme Reel?

BPS has there extreme series baitcasting reel for sale for 59.99$ (normally 79.99). Have any of you guys used this reel? Is it worth the buy?
TBone66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-11, 10:17 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I myself have not but I know there are many guys in here who have and still do use the Extreme reel. Hopefully you'll get some feedback from some of those guys.
Old 04-19-11, 10:42 PM   #3
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've owned mine for about almost 2 years, and since its my only low profile baitcaster I use it weekly, and I don't really have any complaints....any problems I have are usually operator error, and not the fault of the reel...I'd buy another.
Old 04-19-11, 11:41 PM   #4
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The Extreme is one of the best reels that you can buy for that price. It has an aluminum frame and uses quality parts. I see a lot of posts on other sites where people say that it's an inferior reel or that it uses junk parts. Thats hogwash. A lot of the parts are the exact same parts that Abu uses in all the reels they build under the Abu name or the ones they build for BPS. The Extreme uses the same exact bearings that BPS specs for all their reels. They are a very high quality abec 3 stainless bearing that IMO is better that the stock abu bearings in a revo. The extreme did have a problem with the worm gear and line guide for a few years, but they have that fixed now. The worm gear they were using was too soft and got the grooves messed up to easy. They now use a titanium coated worm gear the same as a revo stx uses. The extreme used to come in either a 6 pin centrifugal or a mag dial, now it is only a mag dial reel. That works fine as long as it's adjusted properly. I prefer the dual brake system of the pro qualifier or the new revos, but thats just my preference. Another good reel in this price range is the H2O reel from Academy sports. The H2O also has an aluminum frame and seems to be built pretty good for the money.

Last edited by pro reel; 04-20-11 at 07:49 AM.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-11, 07:45 AM   #5
BBD
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Just what I was looking for, Pro Reel!

I have 3 pro qualifier reels in that boat flake paint scheme. I've had them for 5 months now and I use them all daily 6 times out of each day of the week and caught plenty off fish on them. I still have no problems! Let's see how they hold up after a couple years but as of now, I'm content.

I do need two more reels to throw on two rods and I think I'm going to go with these.
BBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-11, 04:19 PM   #6
DaveW731

Default Imo: Yes!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone66 View Post
BPS has there extreme series baitcasting reel for sale for 59.99$ (normally 79.99). Have any of you guys used this reel? Is it worth the buy?
I have 3 of them in various sizes, love them all. I would need to at least double the original price ($160.00) before I could justify an upgrade. If I needed another reel, I would jump on the sale myself.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-11, 05:48 PM   #7
smittyman
BassFishin.Com Member

the browning citori is down from 100 to 80 on bps
Old 04-20-11, 09:17 PM   #8
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyman View Post
the browning citori is down from 100 to 80 on bps
And, even at full price (79.99) the Extreme is a better reel than the Citori. I own 5 Extremes that are on their 8th year - still going strong.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-11, 11:38 PM   #9
BBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
on their 8th year - still going strong.

That's good to hear!
BBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-11, 12:36 AM   #10
Lvitch

I have 7 of them that I have fished heavily for 4 years now (2 tourneys a month +). The only problem I have had with one of them was a broken piece in the spool that happened after a nasty wind knot with braid. Bps replaced the entire spool (the broken part was only $.50) no questions asked. I am upgrading to the rick clunns which are a little smoother. But over all a great bang for the buck reel that takes a beating. They all also have out lived my pro qualifier. The lube tab in them is a nice feature. I have not taken any of them fully apart in 4 years either, leave that to the pro's.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.