Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 04-19-11, 08:26 PM   #1
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Centrifugal Brakes

Hey guys, I just bought a new Quantum Smoke 100 with the ACSII brakes. I have had very few reels with just straight centrifugal brakes, and I was getting alot of noise coming from the brakes. I have heard from Quantum and several others to put a light coating of grease on the inside of the brake ring. So I tried that, and it made the noise even worse. So I tried putting a drop of Shimano oil on the inside of the brake ring, and worked it in to a nice thin layer on the ring. The noise is now gone, but is having the oil on the brake ring going to hurt anything as far as maintenance or wearing the brake ring down? Thanks,

Ryan
Old 04-19-11, 08:41 PM   #2
Kevin
Administrator

Hi Ryan,

Have you tried turning all the brakes off? If so, does it still make a noise? I just want to make sure that it is the braking that is the cause of the noise.

If so, I'm not quite sure what could be causing the excessive noise. I suppose since the reel is new, it might take some time for the brakes to wear in a bit. The brake drum may be so smooth that the brakes are making very steady contact with the drum... which is a good thing... but I'm not sure why you're getting such loud noise.

You want to avoid putting too much oil on the brake drum, as it will add to the braking force. I usually just add a small drop to a Q-tip and very lightly swab it around the drum... barely giving it a coat. I tend to polish (aka. super tune) my brake drums and will not use any oil on the brake drums when I do that.

Hopefully pro reel will have some better advice for you. I fish mostly Shimano's with centrifugal brakes, and don't have that problem too much.

My guess it is either because the drum is nicely polished and smooth, or there is some sort of dirtiness on the brakes themselves that is causing an uneven drag across the drum. Maybe even something with the sideplate being misaligned?

To answer your question... having oil on the brake drum will not hurt anything or cause extra wear to your reel. But it may add to the braking force and slow your casts down.

Let us know how things evolve! Good luck!
Old 04-19-11, 08:47 PM   #3
rrw4258

Kevin, reel is quiet as can be with the brakes off. So that elimantes a bearing which I also thought might be the problem.

I checked for dirt on the ring and thourougly cleaned it, and used a Q-tip to put a light coating of oil on the brake drum.

I just got done casting around a few times in the yard... quiet as can be now, and the oil has not seemed to hinder casting distance any. Looks like my problem is solved. Thanks for the help.

pro reel, if you have anything to add I would apprieciate it.

Ryan
Old 04-20-11, 03:38 PM   #4
pig n jig

Ryan, The reel is new.Try a car wax on the inner ring and see if it is quieter after doing so.Make sure you don't leave any wax residue to get elsewhere in the reel.Try real thin coatings to control excess wax.You don't want grease there.It will collect gunk, where oil is less likely to. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-11, 04:23 PM   #5
bassboogieman

NO grease on the brake ring, you were correct to clean and apply thin coating of oil.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-11, 07:08 PM   #6
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quantum applies grease to the brake ring from the factory. I don't know what the logic is behind that, it makes the brakes very slugish and IMO, hard to set consistently. Quantum's brakes are also the noisiest I have seen. I always wipe a Qtip amount of oil on the brake ring of any reel, I have had reels that will produce a high pitched squeal when the ring is dry and some won't. I think it depends on the plastic and it's age or condition.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.