Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-05, 08:42 PM   #1
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Exclamation window of opportunity

Been fishing and motorcycle riding the last two days, and have more or less been waiting out the bass to turn back on, You can get 3-4 an outing, but ya work for them.
Tonight I was targeting slopes in the lake, going up or down the hill with plastics,
Also was trying the big bearpaw sample that i got, it must weight a ton and I need a 5/0 for sure to penetrate the plastic.
Anyways, the bite was slow, I scaled down to a 2 inch powergrub, nailed a huge crappie and some gills, then had a few small bass.
I was fishing in some real nice windy conditions and after a long lull my window of opportunity opened, they bite like crazy for about 25 minutes, then it died down again...anyone else ever have this happen..its so short a period, I wonder how many anglers have won a tournie just by getting all thier wieght in 1/2 hour feeding frenzie...it makes for a long 7 and 1/2 hour day left to tournie, if ya get them early your pumped all day, it you get them the last hour, yer thakin' god lol
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-05, 08:52 PM   #2
454ss
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Yea i know how that feels i went fishin at night for like 3 hours and didnt catch anything till the last 20 mins and then they startin bitin on almost every cast.
454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-05, 08:57 PM   #3
JB

I've seen some of the better anglers out their get rewarded by sticking to a area and waiting the bass out. they finally come in and bite, Its a gamble tho, do you run and gun or stick to a known spot ? I usually will hit it hard, if no luck , I go look in other spots, and come back to the first spot every few hours, to see if any bites are going to happen
Old 09-03-05, 09:00 PM   #4
454ss
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Well ive only fished in ponds and i fish around grass or trees where i think fish are then if no bites ill move to another similar spot and so on. and then on the way back before i leave ill fish the spot i started in.
454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-05, 09:23 PM   #5
JB

Due to the super clear water and tons of hydrilla this year, I have fished deep almost all summer, its been fun...after years of beating the banks, the dropoffs and humps have been very productive for me
Old 09-03-05, 09:52 PM   #6
H2O
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Yeah, it did happen! When bass starts to bite, and you catch a decent LM, then don't hesitate to cast you same lure to the exactly spot. Next 15 minutes will be crucial! IMO, Usually I will catch another one about the same size as the first bass, and more often the second one will be bigger.

I think 30 minutes is a reasonable period.
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-05, 06:00 AM   #7
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It all goes back to the fact that bass are affected by water tempature. They become VERY active till they get tired. They are coldblooded creatures and this is the way they react. Kinda like when you get into your comfort zone you will get active till you get tired. BAss are the same way except of there metabolism all of a sudden gets very active they will feed for awhile and to our dismay usually is a short period then they shut off. When this happens just back off and look at the whole picture. Think where would you go if you where the bass and you just got tired and where would you rest up for the next frenzy. Usually is deeper water same type of structure or just deeper into the structure.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-05, 09:19 AM   #8
HuckFinn
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to HuckFinn

Here is a tip that migh help you bank fishermen. Once the bite starts and all the guys on the bank switch to the lure you were using to start the bite, switch to different lure or size. The fish are getting hammered by copies of the same thing from all sides, so I go different. It worked for me last week when I caught a 2 lber with a spinner and everyone at the lake switched. The bite died, but my son using a fly rod with a streamer, started to hook up. I switched to a different color spinner, close in color to what my son was using. But different from what I had been using. We caught, the others who switched to my first lure died.
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.