Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 07-31-07, 01:34 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Default ###new Rod And Reel###

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know about the new rod and reel I ordered today. My new baby(which I got express shipping on so I can use before I go to Alaska) is a St. Croix 7'0'' MH Action 1 piece, Premier Crankbait Series Rod matched up with a Shimano Citica Left-Handed Baitcasing reel. Hopefully, I can get a bit of practice with her before I leave for The Last Frontier on the 8th. And the good thing is, she was only $265.00 total!!!

Just wanted to let you know about my new baby...

-LL-
Old 07-31-07, 02:54 PM   #2
lunker-lander

From the aforementioned post, what line do you think I should put on the reel?? It is rated for 155 yds of 10lb test. I was thinking of putting Power Pro 20lb test. Would this be good line to learn with?? Would it be good for deep crankin' like I want???

-LL-
Old 08-01-07, 01:22 AM   #3
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker-lander View Post
From the aforementioned post, what line do you think I should put on the reel?? It is rated for 155 yds of 10lb test. I was thinking of putting Power Pro 20lb test. Would this be good line to learn with?? Would it be good for deep crankin' like I want???

-LL-
I will highly recommend that you do not put 20# braid on that reel if you are a beginner. Braid is not cheap and 20# braid's thin diameter can hinder your learning. One nasty bird's nest and you may very well end up having to replace all of the line. It will be the fastest $14 you've ever spent.

20# has the diameter of 6# mono. This means that if you wanted to get the most out of it you will need to put a considerable amount of mono backing just to fill the spool to optimum capacity.

Depending on the conditions you will be facing, I would go with the mono of your choice between 10-17# test. Sufix seige is a great line. It will serve you well. One spool can probably fill your spool twice, which is a plus.

Now if money isn't an object and you have to use braid, then go with a minimum of 30# braid. A higher # test would be even easier to use. This is what I have on one of my curados. Add a mono backing and fill your spool to 1/3 - 1/2 full. Then, add the braid on top. You don't even have to tie the two lines together, but I do. The albright or double uni are very easy to tie.

Your best bet for learning is with mono. Also, I know that a Citica D can toss light lures. But for beginner's sake, try to use lures that weigh at least 3/8 oz. Going lighter than this for now can spell trouble unless you have an experienced bc user with you who can help you if you have trouble casting lighter weights.

Congrats on the new rig. I wouldn't mind adding a Citica to my arsenal.

PS Braid has its own quirks like potential line dig and wrapping around your rod tip more often than other lines. You should know about it upfront so you can expect it. Good luck!
Old 08-01-07, 06:55 AM   #4
lunker-lander

What about Berkley Vanish. Is that any good??
Old 07-31-07, 03:32 PM   #5
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Most here who believe line visibilty is actually an issue [not me] will reccomend against using braid for crankbaiting. But if you are going to be using a braid, go with atleast 30lbs, atleast. Probably 50lbs would do you right.
Old 07-31-07, 03:36 PM   #6
lunker-lander

I want line that will cast far though. What line would be good for casting far and deep crankin'??
Old 07-31-07, 03:48 PM   #7
CLENSKH
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CLENSKH

Do not use braid for crankin' You will lose lots of fish... Use around 10lb mono.. I use Yo Zuri Stren and Pline they are my favs' and proven themselves to me time and time again.. But you dont want really heavy line for deep crankin' as it effects the depth. Thicker the line less depth you get. I recommend 10lb.
Old 07-31-07, 04:14 PM   #8
rrw4258

clenskh is right... you do not want a heavy line, and I recommend a 10 lb. test... in Trilene MAXX or Sufix Elite will work too. Mono is a line with stretch, where braid has almost none to it... when using treble hook lures, you want something to act as a shock absorber. Good Fishing!

Ryan
Old 07-31-07, 04:25 PM   #9
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Put any test you want on it, that rating only means 10# diameter will take X amount of yards to fill. I would go with any line that you have confidence.
I have a rod just like it that I put Trilene 10-12-14 low vis on, but really any brand that you have confidence will work.
I have been cranking with braid for 2 years now and love it! btw
I still think I owe Lizards THANKS for this tip.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-07, 04:57 PM   #10
lunker-lander

In English JB?? LOL. Are you saying braid is the way to go for crankin??

Also, it is a 6.2:1 gear ratio. Will this matter what line I need to put on it for crankin'???
Old 07-31-07, 05:42 PM   #11
zooker

Quote:
In English JB?? LOL. Are you saying braid is the way to go for crankin??

Also, it is a 6.2:1 gear ratio. Will this matter what line I need to put on it for crankin'???
HELL NO!!!

for crankin you want mono only!! it gives enough stretch that it wont tear the hooks out of a fishes mouth..

a 6.2 reel is fine for shallow diving cranks and lipless baits.. if you want to use it for shallow cranks.. i sugesst a MINIMUM of 12 pound test mono..

remember this
the deeper the crankbait will dive the slower the geared reel the lighter the line..and always MONO..

zooker
Old 07-31-07, 05:55 PM   #12
lunker-lander

Man, this is very confusing. What line(in terms of pound test and braid/mono) should I use for a 6.2:1 deep-cranking rod???

Just say what brand and lb test you prefer I use. Make sure to say if it is braid,mono,flouro.,etc...
Old 07-31-07, 05:14 PM   #13
bassfisher02

Gear ratio is only saying how many yards[or maybe feet, I cant remember] of line will be reeled up with one complete turn of the handle.

What JB is saying, is that use a line you are comfortable with. I dont know why people dont think briad is good for cranking, maybe the line visibility aspect? I dont know but honestly I dont think that matters at all. So use a line you are confident in, braid will work fine. I only say use a heavier pound test because I've heard its easier to cast on baitcasters, but I'm a spinner myself so I'm not completely sure.

PS, braid casts as good as any other once you spool it on right, and break it in.
Old 07-31-07, 05:22 PM   #14
JB

I think you would be happy with mono, I fished it for 25 years and just now went to braid, and let the rod absorb the impact, but you are correct in thinking mono has more stretch and can take the shock of the hit. For me, its just something dif, I enjoy the feel of the strike with braid.
Old 07-31-07, 06:34 PM   #15
bassfisher02

Dude, you are thinking WAY too much into this, wayyy tooo much. It is OK to use that reel, its not like it will explode if you try to deep crank with it. Line is all up to you, whatever you feel comfortable with. You asked for specs, JB gave them to you, and then you come back with a post asking about 3 other brands of line.

I use a 6'6" Shimano Siljourn[sp?] M action with a CD4-3000 Abu Garcia spinning reel for EVERYTHING I use. Rigged with 30lb braid. I dont sit here to myself and figure out how many different lines and rods/reels I will need to get to be able to fish something. Whats the point? I love to fish, to have fun fishing. I can tie on a worm or a crank or a jig on that spinning outfit and catch fish no matter the circumstances. You can sit there and get as technical and specific as you want, at the end of the day I'm using a... ehh I'd say maybe $75 combo, with 30lb briad, and catching fish every time I go out. I'm saving a lot of money for tackle, which I worry more about than fishing rods/reels. I have three outfits, and I dont believe any of them range over $100, and yet I catch fish all the time, and have a PR at 10lbs 3oz. And have caugth fish in the 7-9lb range a multitude of times.

Take all your technical jargan and figure out what to use, while you do that I'll be out catching some HAWGS! =]
Old 07-31-07, 06:44 PM   #16
lunker-lander

What I'm wanting to know though is if the 6.2:1 will overcrank the crankbaits I use. Will it?? Amd will it wear out your arm like everybody says??
Old 07-31-07, 07:25 PM   #17
lizardsrule

Quote:
What about Fireline of Suffix Elite or Powerpro??

Also, is 6.2:1 OK for deep-crankin'??? A lot of you guys are saying "no", but I have a bass fishin mag and Rick Clunn says he likes to use a 6.3 or 6:1 gear ratio for burnin' deep cranks. What is your guys opinion on this???

Thanks for all the other information though.
First off what is "YOUR FAVORITE LINE"? Use that for now. Everyone has there own preferences. Some pro's use Fireline for cranking, some use Flourocarbon, some use mono. You will lose less baits with a superlines, but as you can see some people just think it's the worse thing in the world to use. The smaller diameter of line will allow you to get deeper however. For example, 20lb Fireline has the diameter of 8lb mono. Now refer back to Raul's post. Just remember that when using crankbaits you must play the fish more, you will always lose more fish on cranks, but it will increase dramatically if you try to horse them in, use the rod and drag, that's where they really come in handy. I personally use Powerpro 50lb. I have a great medium ST Croix rod with a Moderate tip, and the drag is loosen up quite a bit. It works well for me. Plus the other nice side of superlines, is it does increase the feel of the crankbait. You can feel more wobbles, branches, rocks, pebbles, weeds etc... But use "WHAT YOU LIKE".

Quote:
What I'm wanting to know though is if the 6.2:1 will overcrank the crankbaits I use. Will it?? Amd will it wear out your arm like everybody says??
There are several thoughts about deep cranking. Many just prefer there regular reel, and just retrieve the bait slower once at depth. Some insist upon a slower retrieve for the so called ease it has because it usually has more torque. I haven't noticed a big difference either way. But just remember the slower reel will help keep you from retrieving the fish too fast, but will hurt getting your bait in quickly or using it with say a Lipless crankbait which usually is worked fast. The reel you have is fine. You really are putting way to much thought into this. And if you really do spend "ALL DAY DEEP CRANKING", no matter what rod, reel, line you use you will know you worked hard fishing that day. I have never personally deep cranked all day, I have for about 4 hours at one time, but never all day. That 4 hours was enough, but if that's where the fish are biting, then I assure you I would do it all day One other suggestion, is to give the deep divers a good hookset after intial beggining of your retrieve, it helps gets them deeper faster Now Alaska isn't known for it's bass, so I wouldn't worry about it too much while your there. Perhaps some other fish would be better to target. And yes I like your setup, it's a quality reel teamed with a quality rod, for a very good price.

Lizards
Old 07-31-07, 08:12 PM   #18
Rebbasser

LL, the reason most stay away from braid with crankbaits is due the stretch, or rather the lack of it. When a fish hits a crank you want to have some give in the line to act as a shock absorber, which is also why crankbait rods are M action.

I like to use 12 lb P-line Floroclear for crankbaits, but any mono will work.
Old 07-31-07, 08:20 PM   #19
JB

theres no need to worry about overcranking a crankbait, you should be using a variety of retrieves rather than just burning it as fast as your can back to your pole, Try a stop and go technique, mix in a slow retrieve, try going faster after you hit something, and after you get a strike duplicate whatever method was working that day.
Old 07-31-07, 08:22 PM   #20
bassfisher02

An easy solution for those who want that stretch factor of Mono when crankbaiting, is to loosen your drag, that simple. If the bass if hitting that crankbait with enough force to make you worry about shock effect, well it will set itself, just play the fish in the rest of the way. If you use braid you wont loose that crank, if you use mono you might just. Its ALL ABOUT PREFERENCE. One guy likes mono, another swears by briad. Pick and choose, its up to you. There is absolutely no way no matter which rod/reel you select or even line that wont catch you fish, if you are fishing them correctly. Obviously if you decide to use an ultralight rod for deep cranking well you might stumble upon a problem or two, haha, but if you play it correctly you will catch fish, That simple. Its all about preference.
Old 07-31-07, 10:15 PM   #21
lunker-lander

To start, I'm going with Berkley Fireline as it is available near me and has a reasonable price tag on it. Will this tear up the guides on my new Croix though??

Thanks soooooooo much for all your guys' help with this topic...

-LL-

Last edited by lunker-lander; 07-31-07 at 10:24 PM.
lunker-lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-07, 12:24 PM   #22
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
To start, I'm going with Berkley Fireline as it is available near me and has a reasonable price tag on it. Will this tear up the guides on my new Croix though??

Thanks soooooooo much for all your guys' help with this topic...

-LL-
fireline stinks on a baitcaster.you'll find that out on your first backlash.if you want braid use sufix.i'm cranking with seguar invizx flouro this year.it has some stretch but is low vis.it is also highly abrtasion resitant so it's great cranking over rocks.
Old 08-02-07, 12:41 PM   #23
Wishing2BFishing

Lunker Lander,

Here is my answer to your first question referenced in the second post of this thread:

12 lb. mono or copolymer My favorite line is McCoy's Mean Green but it is hard to find.

And the answer to your second question is:

Your set-up will do just fine for deep, medium, and shallow crankin. Just make sure that you use a crankbait that is made to dive to the depth you want to crank at.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-07, 04:05 PM   #24
lunker-lander

Got some line today. Maxima Ultragreen 10 lb test. Super soft and limp. Good for crankin'(I hope)
Old 07-31-07, 10:30 PM   #25
bassfisher02

No. Nice and simple, just the way fishing should be. You dont spend money on a good rod to have the guides tear up due to braid.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.