Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-19-11, 09:05 PM   #1
Fish30114
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Suffix 832 field results

I figured I'd start a new thread for this, I had commented on Crankbaits thread 'Love of Braid' that I was about to spool up a reel with the new roll of 832 I had purchased.

In short--bleccchhh!! I am a fan of Suffix stuff usually so bear that in mind, but I really disliked the 832 braid.

I don't fish a lot of braid, but have 3 rigs spooled with it, 2 spinners and one baitcaster. The baitcaster is my new Lews, their entry level model. It had Fireline Crystal Line on it, and an unfortunate loan out of it necessatated respooling quicker than I planned. I put the new 832 on this rig and it flat out performed poorly. It didn't cast anywhere near as smooth as powerpro or the Fireline Crystal Line, and it was also MUCH louder than either of the other two, especially the Fireline Crystal. It also 'puffed up' after only about 4 casts, and was very difficult to manage, tried to backlash much more than the Fireline previously on this rig, and developed wind knots, and was just generally more difficult to manage.

It did feel more round, but frankly that is secondary in perfromance to me. It didn't seem more or less difficult to tie knots with, and I didn't experience any unexpected breakage with it........in short, I don't even know the price comparison, but both the Fireline and the 832 ain't cheap, but I will NOT be buying any more 832 again!!--but will the Fireline.

Last edited by Fish30114; 10-19-11 at 09:16 PM.
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-11, 11:20 PM   #2
gonefishin3

Did you try a line conditioner?? I would try it.... just sayin
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-11, 03:40 AM   #3
Crankbait

I’m bummed out I wanted to try this line. May keep my performance braid on
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-11, 08:36 AM   #4
Bryan

I've had some 30lb 832 spooled up on a Citica for most of this year. I think it's a decent line, but definitely not better than the original Sufix Performance Braid, which is my favorite.

I agree with the OP, not worth shelling out the extra $$ for 832.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-11, 08:57 AM   #5
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

After my experience with 832, I'm kind of surprised to hear this. I've had pretty much the exact opposite experience. Sufix PB was my favorite braid for a few years, but I've been fishing 832 all year on both spinning and casting setups and haven't had a single problem. In fact, I like it better than PB. I've found it to be both smoother and quieter than PB.

BB
Old 10-20-11, 09:15 AM   #6
OkobojiEagle

Fish... without knowing what test of line you are comparing and how you are using the lines, it's hard to comment. I used 10lb crystal Fireline, 10lb 832 and 10lb Nanofil side by side on identical spinning reels and very similar rods since this past June. I found all three lines held up well. Both the 832 and Nanofil cast significantly farther than the Fireline. The Nanofil cast slightly farther than the 832 and took less effort to achieve the distance. I haven't found any deterioration in any of the three lines.

I also have been using 20lb 832 on a baitcasting reel comparing it to 15lb Ultra-Cast side by side. I think the line has less effect upon casting distance using baitcasting reels but the 832 performed as well as the Ultra-Cast. I do believe the tightness of weave in the 832 has loosened slightly over the season but as yet seems not to be affecting its performance any.

The 832 line will sink SLOWLY after it over-comes the surface tension of the water whereas the other PE lines I've been using float.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-11, 06:14 PM   #7
Fish30114

You know, these replies make me wonder how much certain 'superlines' vary. First off, to be clear, the Fireline I was using was Fireline CRYSTAL. That line is supposedly not braided, but fused--I don't really know what the difference is in real life.

I was in fact set to buy a new LARGE format spool of it last night. I then read the reviews on Bass Pro. It was very interesting, it was a complet love it or hate it thing--reviewers gave it either 5 stars or 1 star?????

This leads me to believe it varies quite a bit. I actually did try line conditioner on the 832, after I'd used it for bout an hour, it did not help.

In bothe lines I was using 20 lb test versions. The 832 didn't come even close to casting distance with the exact same lures compared to the fireline Crystal. As I think I stated, the 832 was MUCH louder as well, whatever that is.

I have used a good bit of powerpro, in mostly 20lb test, but a few others as well, and although it is rougher to the touch, it is much quiter and casts way better than the 832.

I may take this spool back to the store, and see if they will replace it and try another spool, I really couldn't be much more DIS-satisfied!! The only other superline/braid I have tried is some of the 2nd generation Spiderwire, and even it was preferable to my experience with this 832.....

Hmmmmmmm...trying to decide if I buy a big spool of Crystal or not at this point...I am probably going to pull the trigger on that, and see if they will let me try a new spool of 832, but I am not super optimistic on the 832 yet1
Old 10-20-11, 07:31 PM   #8
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have used 832 on a couple of my setups, I find it superior to PP, both casts and less noise in my opinion.
Old 10-20-11, 10:47 PM   #9
Crankbait

I think when it comes to line different line for different people. Myself using performance braid 6lb is heaven! Many anglers think I’m crazy because I crank with it but I have my reasons. All depends on what you’re expecting out the line. That being said there’s got to be some bad spools out there.
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-11, 11:13 PM   #10
boloson

i too found the 832 to be the opposite of what the op is posting. the only issue i had was when i dropped from 30lbs to 20lbs, which i have on my set up now. i find it to be too thin for my liking.
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-11, 01:34 PM   #11
Fish30114

Hmmmm again. I haven't been able to get by the store yet, but if they will replace thee 832, I will try once more--I will say that it is somewhat subjective of course, but to me, things like noise--are pretty empirical. My friend who fished with me has borrowed this rig previously, and liked how smooth and quiet the Crystal was. The first thing he commented on when he made the first few casts with it spooled with the 832 was, 'damn, this new line is loud'. He was also using it after I had made a couple hundred casts with it later in the day, and he said 'damn, this stuff has puffed up, is that cause it's been in the water?' same thing I thought of I said to myself, and told him that I didn't know but water SHOULDN'T do that to it!! I will be trying some more Crystal, that I have decided.....now, how big a spool to buy- HA
Old 10-21-11, 04:12 PM   #12
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I used some Fireline Crystal a couple years ago for about a month then got rid of it. While it was smooth (should be, it's a fused line), it had a lot of memory that a braided superline doesn't. I found the curls that stayed in the line with Crystal reduced my casting distance.

BB
Old 10-21-11, 09:08 PM   #13
boloson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish30114 View Post
Hmmmm again. I haven't been able to get by the store yet, but if they will replace thee 832, I will try once more--I will say that it is somewhat subjective of course, but to me, things like noise--are pretty empirical. My friend who fished with me has borrowed this rig previously, and liked how smooth and quiet the Crystal was. The first thing he commented on when he made the first few casts with it spooled with the 832 was, 'damn, this new line is loud'. He was also using it after I had made a couple hundred casts with it later in the day, and he said 'damn, this stuff has puffed up, is that cause it's been in the water?' same thing I thought of I said to myself, and told him that I didn't know but water SHOULDN'T do that to it!! I will be trying some more Crystal, that I have decided.....now, how big a spool to buy- HA
you think the 832 is louder then power pro? i've never tried pp but have read many reviews that pp are notoriously loud. but then again some really love pp. i guess it comes down to preference
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.