Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-10-08, 10:27 AM   #1
voodoofisherman
BassFishin.Com Member

Default tungsten??

I just bought some tungsten off of ebay, magic bullet, cause my partner is telling me this is the future. I agree about the size and the density, but I'm certainly not gong to jump all over some high priced, tru tungsten, espn, green pumpkin bulls&^$t. I've been fishing my whole life with lead...color or not. My partner is southern so I don't want to rattle any cages, but am I wrong here??? I'll deal with the wifey, fork out for some quality, I actually like the feel, but I'm certainly not going to pay these california overblown prices for some cadilllac brand. I was hoping some of you could back me up...
voodoofisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-08, 10:35 AM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

its been around for years, lead is cheaper an works just as well, the rivers here are clogged up with lead sinkers, thats one reason You see on the news to use a weight other than lead...

good luck with your fishin!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-08, 10:43 AM   #3
voodoofisherman
BassFishin.Com Member

Sad JB, thanks for the comments, but I'll be honest I really liked the the product that I bought online, heavy as hell for the size and i get the whole environmental thing... I'm just not sold on how a watermelon painted weight at five bucks a piece, is what I want.... specially if i snag the mutha f&(*(*%ka!!
Old 04-10-08, 11:21 AM   #4
voodoofisherman
BassFishin.Com Member

come on, doesn't anyone have an opinion here??? Help a brutha out.
Old 04-10-08, 11:24 AM   #5
bothomas
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've been using some of the tungsten weights this winter. I really like the size and weight and really hate the price. hopefully more manufacturers will begin to make the weights and a little competition will help drive the price down. For now I don't think I can justify the price diff.
bothomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-08, 11:41 AM   #6
voodoofisherman
BassFishin.Com Member

me too, bothomas, but the prices I paid on ebay for the magic bullet, i felt were decent but to compare with my yuppie friends with their tru tungsten "green pumpkin", I was embarrassed to pull it out of my box...myself I was stoked I was even using tungsten, but I'm fishing in Cali, there's a whole different mindset out here....
Like you said though, hopefully competition will lower the price...I'm not a geologist though, maybe we are both way off...
Old 04-10-08, 12:41 PM   #7
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I've started using colored brass weights. Mostly black. I'm also paiting my own weights. I'm not buying tungsten either until they come off the prices their asking!
Old 04-10-08, 12:51 PM   #8
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I only use tungsten on my smaller soft plastics, it keeps them from losing their natural motion...larger weights tend to impede the motion of some lizards/worms by creating their own current..the tungsten weights allow you to use smaller weights that are heavier and don't impede the natural motion of the lure...other than that I wouldn't invest too much into them..don't expect the price to come down either, it's currently a precious metal....have you seen a lot of the new wedding bands for men?...you guessed it..tungsten
Old 04-10-08, 03:53 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've just recently bought some Tru Tungsten weights for the first time. I haven't tried them yet, but 5 bucks for 1-2 weights is rediculous. I always use unpainted or just plain black weights so I don't buy any of the fancy colors.

I get why tungsten weights are so popular though. for one, they're heavier for their size, and that makes them less likeyl to snag. They're more enviromentally safe. I'm no tree hugger (no offense to anyone who is), but I belive we do need to do things if we want ourselves, our children, grandchildren, etc. to be able to fish.

BB
Old 04-10-08, 07:15 PM   #10
Rebbasser

I use them for smaller soft plastics or when I want a smaller size weight. I still use lead for the big weights. Like you guys, I can't see paying $5 for one 1/2 oz. weight.

For lead I started powder painting my own-I can mix and match colors to get just the shade I want.

If you do powder paint your own I HIGHLY recommend curing them in the oven. Best way I found to do it is get a board and screw in some long wood or sheet metal screws in it, long enough to poke through the far side. Gently screw the base of the sinker on to the point of the screw and put it in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes, let it cool and you are good to go.
Old 04-10-08, 07:33 PM   #11
LubbockFisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Im addicted

All I use now are the Tru Tungsten and love them. I figure if Im spending 5-6 hundred a month for tourneys and traveling $5 for a pack of 5 isnt much esp. compared to the $20-80 swimbaits.
LubbockFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-08, 08:23 PM   #12
Rebbasser

It's all relative, aint it, Lubbock? I can sure see the logic in that.
Old 04-10-08, 08:31 PM   #13
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Voodoo, the money I save not buying tru tungsten goes in the gas tank of my boat. I have tried them--I do like them but I would rather be able to go fishing. Just one way to save. And that's my 2 cents worth.
Old 04-10-08, 08:45 PM   #14
3dkicker

I lost 5 last fall, 1oz, all on hook sets on 17lb line. All broke at the Palomar knot. Set me back $25+. I caught only two, that's right, two non-keepers and busted all the rest off. And I went back to lead. I picked up a couple more this spring, not my money but a gift card, and I caught a couple fish using them already. This year I'm using 25lb Big Game. No break offs (yet).

What am I trying to say? Make sure you use quality line and make sure it's heavy enough for your hook set.
Old 04-10-08, 08:49 PM   #15
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoofisherman View Post
come on, doesn't anyone have an opinion here??? Help a brutha out.

yeah we all have opinions.. just some of us are forced to work to suport our addiction...

i use tru tungstung bullets though rarely heavier than 1/4 oz.

jason
i have one of them rings. after having it for a couple years now i have to say they are tough has hell.. i have had other rings in gold and silver -i aint much on gold period- they get bent and beat up real easy.

the tungstung will take the beating..i want another..

zooker
Old 04-10-08, 09:04 PM   #16
Jackl

KICKER,
If you are breaking 17 lb line at the know when tying a palomar, you may not be tying the knot quite right (NO OFFENSE INTENDED) When you tie the Palomar knot, make sure you pull the loop above the knot before pulling it down. If you pull the knot tight with the loop below the knot, the line will cut into the knot and it will break at a lesser pull weight than if the loop is above the knot. (A Denny Brauer tip)
I very seldom break my leader in the knot when tying with a Palomar, it usually breaks at the triple surgeons knot that I use to tie the leader to the braided line, or the leader breaks where it has been nicked. I have never broken a line on hookset, only when snagged. I only use 15 lb leader, so the palomar is not the weak spot when it breaks, Sometimes the hook breaks, but not the Palomar.

JackL
Old 04-10-08, 09:54 PM   #17
3dkicker

It's always possible but I've been tying the same knot for well over 10 years and only started experiencing break offs recently, especially with the 1 oz tungsten. I'll re-tie a couple lures and see if I am doing as you suggest. Might be something to it.

*Edit* Went back and checked. No problems with the way I tie the knot. Loop is above the knot. Still I appreciate the thought.

Last edited by 3dkicker; 04-10-08 at 10:09 PM.
3dkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-08, 10:03 PM   #18
voodoofisherman
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks fellas, I appreciate the comments and advice

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.