Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 05-04-09, 10:32 PM   #1
B-I-G
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default 05/03/2009 Fishing Report --- Craziest Thing Happened!!!

Alright well let me start off with my fishing report... The forecast for Sunday was rain 24/7 and that's what we got. The fishing seemed slow at first as my dad was using a crankbait and I was using a lizard. As we started to get a light drizzle, I decided to switch to a popper.. Got a dink on the very first cast right as it hit the water... No hits on the popper no matter what I tried after that. The rain started coming down harder and harder and we agreed to go under trees or something to get away from the rain for a little bit. My dad went straight for a nice little area, but I decided to fish along some riprap on the way. I switched to a Bandit 200 Series crankbait in spring craw color... and I got about a 13-14 incher. As I moved on, the only thing I managed to do was lose that crank to a branch that I had no idea was there ... My dad managed to pick up a 12-incher as well off of his Bandit Footloose in Chartreuse Shad.

[NOW FOR THE CRAZY STORY]
After that, I switched to another crankbait and as we were entering a shallow cove that produces well for us... We saw a man in a boat... and to give u an idea... this cove consists of 0'-2' of water and this guy was like in the middle of it... there is a drop off in the middle so thats probably where he was but I heard a loud sound and rushed over to see what he was doing. That's when I saw a thick white rope tied to a fallen tree on the shoreline going into the water... I was oh, so curious as to what was on the end of this line, seeing as there was almost nobody in the whole park that day due to the rain... I decided to pull the line in. I was pulling in, but I thought that it was just some random rope... All of a sudden, something on the other end pulls so hard that I almost fell in the water! Caught me by surprise! I started pulling harder, struggling not to slip on the extremely muddy shoreline. As it got closer, I was in shock. There was, by my guess, a 30-inch 20-pound catfish on the other end of that line for god knows how long. The cat got closer and gave a tail whip, sending a wave of water at me, soaking my whole lower body. My dad picked up the line, and the fish flopped off of the hook and away into the water. Alright, this is a public park that many many many people come to with lots of undersized bass and bluegill. I had no idea fish of that size lived in here. I mean I knew, but it just never hit me until then.

Well, anyways back to my report... We went on... no bites or fish for a long long while. I suggested he use a YUM Lizard, and then of course he gets a fish... We went to this one cove with an inflowing stream of runoff from the rain. there was also a huge tree right next to the water with vines and such surrounding it. I got a couple bites. I moved to a better angle, and I was getting a weird type of strike. Usually the bass take it and start to move away with it. This one was a quick jerk... It happened 2 or 3 times before I was actually able to hook it... The thing would not move! I moved it a foot or so... trying to get a glimpse of it since the water was very shallow. Then all of a sudden my hook came flying towards me... It managed to take my lizard . I managed to catch three bass before leaving the spot, all on a YUM lizard. I will be sure to go back to that spot this week end. Maybe I will get that hawg as a birthday present! ... We were going back to the car when I told my dad to keep going, I'll catch up. I threw my lizard out and were getting lots of small hits. I figured they were bluegill, so I moved on to an open area. I got two bass before leaving. One was pregnant so I made sure I got that one unhooked and release real fast and safely.

It was a good day.. I wonder what the thing I hooked was... maybe it was that 10 pounder I been lookin for
Old 05-04-09, 10:56 PM   #2
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

what lake?
Old 05-04-09, 10:58 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

cats get really big don't they, lol. better luck next time pal.
Old 05-04-09, 11:00 PM   #4
B-I-G

BassMojo,
I was fishing at Centennial Park in Ellicott City
Old 05-05-09, 07:44 PM   #5
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

All good stories have a moral.
The moral of this story is............................
Never, ever, pull on another man's rope. You might get wet
Old 05-05-09, 08:50 PM   #6
Bassboss

wow! I once found a trot line when I was fishing once, only thing on it was a turtle though, never any big cats!

I think the thing that took you're lizard was a cat fish. happened to me once, same thing you said, only I did not lose it! was a 5lb + channel cat that was oh so tasty!

Sound like a fun time!
Old 05-06-09, 12:51 AM   #7
Paul_F
BassFishin.Com Member

I scored a nice sized channel cat on an abandon trot line once. And I also caught a nice 15 pounder on a football jig in my fishmaster a couple years back, What a fight. You'd be surprised how big those things get, and every now and then they hit something you'd never expect them to hit.
Paul_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 01:12 AM   #8
BassinID

I almost always catch cats on my yearly crappy trip on 1.5" jigs with scent. I hooked into a flathead once that was huge, probably over 35, but on 4 lb without a real net it was like pi**ing in the wind.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 03:56 PM   #9
B-I-G

haha yeah I am planning on going back out this weekend and I will be sure to fish that area again thoroughly and see if I can get something out of it
Old 05-06-09, 04:18 PM   #10
Bryan

Kinda sounds like a turtle bite.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 04:26 PM   #11
B-I-G

I have had plenty turtles bite my lures in this lake and I have kinda gotten to know the feel and I usually know when a turtle bites my lure... This didn't feel like a turtle
Old 05-11-09, 12:06 AM   #12
BassMoJo

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

My buddy caught a snapper at cummingham falls reservoir, it was just chillin on top the water he casted by it the snapper went striaght down next thing you know we got a 15lb snapper on the back deck yelling at eachother on how to get the hook out....of course this is the same friend whose caught a goose, beaver, and a snake!
Old 05-11-09, 07:32 AM   #13
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMoJo View Post
My buddy caught a snapper at cummingham falls reservoir, it was just chillin on top the water he casted by it the snapper went striaght down next thing you know we got a 15lb snapper on the back deck yelling at eachother on how to get the hook out....of course this is the same friend whose caught a goose, beaver, and a snake!
Snapper??

Those are salt water fish though, how would they get into a reservoir and be able to live in one??
Old 05-11-09, 08:22 AM   #14
JB

snapping turtle
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 06:21 PM   #15
B-I-G

I saw a snapping turtle in the same lake whose head was about the same size as mine if not slightly bigger... The thing was so huge.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.