Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-05, 11:02 PM   #1
Mikey
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Mikey
Default fishing poles

well boys i think it's time i go buy me a pole i have 150 dollars, what should i get a baitcaster or a spinner. and wat brand should i get?
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 11:06 PM   #2
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy
Default Re: fishing poles

Heck I would get a shimano or quantum spinning outfit
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 11:09 PM   #3
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to OKie

Dont get a combo. Get a fenwick rod and ummmm......................walmart has a REALLY good reel for $20.00 but i forget what its called.
OKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 11:11 PM   #4
Mikey
BassFishin.Com Member

btu kids in fishing leagues do they have spinnign our baitcast
Old 06-06-05, 11:14 PM   #5
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

I'm inclined to agree with JB. Since you are just getting into fishing a spinning rod is a great place to start. And you can get a good combo for a lot less than $150. Quantum, Shimano and Diawa are all good products. I'd go with a 6 foot medium or 6-6 medium heavy rod. Spool it up with 8 lb mono and you are good to go.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 11:14 PM   #6
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

nothin wrong with a combo, it saves money. i would get a spinning outfit. if you go with the combos, i like the pflueger trion spinning combo, 6'6'' or 7'. dont buy the pflueger president spinning combo...i bought one and one my first day out i broke the rod setting the hook. the reel is really nice, but the rod sucks. if you get both seperate, i would go with a pflueger president or trion spinning reel, and a 6'6''-7' ugly stik. ugly stiks are the best rod made as far as im concerned, they have a lifetime warrenty( they dont break tho ) and they are incredibly strong, so if you manage to break it, they will give you a new rod. another good reel is a shimano sahara, or qauntum is not bad. dont buy those cheap $20 dollar rods from walmart, i have broke countless ones on hooksets. dont worry about ''what kids in tournies use' that is totally irrelevent, if that is what you base what you buy on, then you are in bad shape. anyways, they can have whatever reel they want, whether it be spinning, baitcasting, or even spincasting. just get what YOU feel comfortable with. dont go payin a fortune for begginning. i have a(all spinning rods and reels) a pflueger trion with a 7' pflueger pole(this was a combo for $60, great setup...i also have a shimano sahara 4000fb with a 6'6'' ugly stik, and a abu garcia reel with a 6'6'' shimano rod. all are med heavy, except the 7' rod which is heavy. any of these set up will do fine, and they are all less then $150, with the exception of the abu garcia and shimano rod.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 11:15 PM   #7
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

First, call it a rod. Calling it a pole signifies that you are a novice, and although thats true you need to talk a good game in order to catch fish. :

zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 11:15 PM   #8
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

Get a rod and reel outfit, SPINNING definitely. Â*For all the bad mouthing I do about their baitcasters, I think shimano does have excellent spinning reels. Â*If you can get your hands on one, buy a shimano sahara, roughly $60. Match it up w/ a 6'6" MH original falcon rod and you're set. Â*
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 11:16 PM   #9
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Gotta disagree on the combo with you, NJ. Â*They are a balanced set-the rod and reel are designed to work together. Â*

Matt, if you haven't used a baitcaster they can be real frustrating to learn to use. A spinning reel is a lot easier to learn. You can always move up to a baitcaster later, and you can always use an extra rod. Most of us do that to the extreme ;D
Old 06-06-05, 11:22 PM   #10
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

thats good to hear that someone else knows about the sahara, thought i was the only one that had one ;D and they are an excellent reel, for both fresh and saltwater fishing.
Old 06-06-05, 11:29 PM   #11
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=news;num=1118109764;start=0#9 date=06/06/05 at 22:22:10]thats good to hear that someone else knows about the sahara, thought i was the only one that had one ;D and they are an excellent reel, for both fresh and saltwater fishing.[/quote]

I thought I was the only one who knew how great they are. They are easily the best spinning reel I have ever used, and they are a good deal. If anyone ever needs to get a new spinning reel, they should give the shimano shara a try.
Old 06-06-05, 11:30 PM   #12
Mikey
BassFishin.Com Member

can u guys work together and givce me idea of a brand of a combo that i should get
Old 06-06-05, 11:33 PM   #13
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Heres a link: Go to BPS if you can and get this combo. Great rod and great reel at a great price.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse

Or if you feel like paying a few extra bucks for a slightly lighter rod, heres one from BPS you can get.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse
Old 06-06-05, 11:34 PM   #14
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Matt, my advice is to go someplace that sells them-WalMart, Bass Pro, wherever-pick up several and see which one feels right to you.

Don't get the type that has line already on it. Those are usually cheaper, and the line is a poor quality. I'd get some 8 lb green Trilene XL, spool it up, and go fishin'.
Old 06-06-05, 11:39 PM   #15
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

i wouldnt use the rod that comes with the president, like i said, broke on me the first day. this is what you should do, go and get a shimano sahara 4000fb, then get a 6'6'' ugly stik (they will be med. to med. hvy.) the ugly stik is a great choice...it has the lifetime warrentee.....and they are tough as anything. all this under $150 8)
Old 06-06-05, 11:40 PM   #16
Mikey
BassFishin.Com Member

thank u guys very much and i will keep u posted on my decision
Old 06-06-05, 11:45 PM   #17
Mikey
BassFishin.Com Member

also dod u think u guys can help me buy giving me soemlinks to some lures u think i should buy ones that work for u tahnks
Old 06-06-05, 11:52 PM   #18
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

zoom, yum, waveworms(tiki stiks, etc.) strike king, booyah, there is amillion to name...go to a walmart and stock up on worms and jigs and cranks...get what you need for the situation you fish. if you live by a basspro or cabelas or dicks sporting goods or sports authority check those places out.
Old 06-06-05, 11:59 PM   #19
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm with 02-WalMart has enough to get you started.
Old 06-07-05, 12:07 AM   #20
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=news;num=1118109764;start=0#5 date=06/06/05 at 22:14:33] and a 6'6''-7' ugly stik. ugly stiks are the best rod made as far as im concerned, they have a lifetime warrenty( they dont break tho ) and they are incredibly strong, so if you manage to break it, they will give you a new rod.[/quote]

WOW
IMHO the only 2 things good about an Ugly Stick are:
1. Pretty inexspensive
2. They won't ever break even if you tie them in a knot LOL.

Now for all that not breaking, you lose sensitivity and weight, which IMO is a lot more important than a rod I can wrap around my head, let alone the stiffness and backbone of it. Everyone has their favorite, but I must say I'm shocked yours is the Ugly Stick. But if it works for you then have at it. :-/

WTL,

you been missing your meds lately, you are cracking me up recently with the remarks ;D

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-05, 12:10 AM   #21
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

the ugly stik i have is actually very sensitive. i can feel every bite i get. the durability, the lifetime warenty, and the sensitivity is great.
Old 06-07-05, 10:42 AM   #22
FLFishFan
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FLFishFan

GAnder Mountain has a Fathersday special. you get a Eagle Claw Featherweight rod and reel and anouther reel for $30.
FLFishFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-05, 02:23 PM   #23
keeb
BassFishin.Com Member

on rod works for me as long as it is stiff enough that i feel the bump from fish.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.