Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-23-04, 12:41 AM   #1
crankbait-nate
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to crankbait-nate
Default A FEW  QUESTIONS

IM A newbee to the site and to bass fishing. Has any one used the kicktail lures? has anyone tried the wigglure? around the middle of feb im going to tennessee vacation from illinois be staying with relatives neer lebanon plus i have a friend that will be staying in nashville at a time share right next to j percy preist lake- my aunt lives about 3 miles from the cumberland river any sugestions or help will be greatly welcomed thanks ROD !!
crankbait-nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-04, 12:16 PM   #2
Frank_Eagles
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Frank_Eagles
Default Re: A FEW Â*QUESTIONS

welcome to you you know that the puncuation marks and shift key are on your keyboard so that you can punctuate your sentencesand make it easier for everyone to read

At least you don't use those irritating AIM abrevviations:

welcome 2 u u no tht the punct. marks and shift key r on ur keybord 4 a reason wen u punct. ur sents it makes it ezr 4 most ppl 2 read

Sorry for the rant, in answer to your question, no. However, you should try a texas rigged worm, it will catch any living bass.
Frank_Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-04, 12:28 PM   #3
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

First off, welcome to the site. As far as stuff like thekicktail lure and wigglure, don't even ask. If you see it on an infomercial on TV, it is likely to catch more fisherman than fish. Other questions not to ask are ones about red hooks, and basically anything you see on TV. Ask about questions that relate to what you need help with out on the water. I live in fl and don't know much about fishing in tennesse. Here in mid february, the bass should be in pre-spawn mode and up in the shallows. If I were you I'd fish deep structure, like creek-channels and stuff with a big t-rigged worm (10in or so). I'd go with grape/purple, its a good winter color. Oh yeah, fish itSLOW, the fish are going to be very inactive and want a big and easy to get meal.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-04, 12:38 PM   #4
Frank_Eagles
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Frank_Eagles

If you're new to bass fishing, and fishing aup north (sorta) in February, you might want to try live bait. Put a shiner out on six pound test and a 4/0 live bait hook and hang on.
Frank_Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-04, 01:56 PM   #5
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

Well, since you are a new fisherman...

First off the other guys are right about the lures they sell on tv infomercials - they don't work.

Second, mid february in middle tennessee is normally still pretty cold, and in the colder months fishing can be very very slow even for us regular fishermen.

But, there still may be hope - if there is a warm spell then the bass will bite. Also you should check with the locals that time of year to see what is biting. The cumberland is a lot like the tennessee river and so the sauger (locals may call it jack salmon) may still be catchable in february. Sauger are about the best tasting fish that God ever made.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-04, 03:29 PM   #6
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Welcome to the forum!

These guys are correct about the "As Seen on TV" lures-sure they will catch fish-every lure will at the right time and place, but you can find similar lures and not have to spend $30 for a kit. Since you are new to bass fishing here is a great link that will get you pointed in the right direction:

http://www.bassresource.com/beginner/beginner.html
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-04, 05:48 PM   #7
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Makitcnt4u

This week the fishing report said Jig/Pig combinations are working real well and texas rigged worms. Thay also said sauger are being caught very often at the base of the dam.Â*They said the lake was in th 50's. Â*I caught a 4 LBS. bass the other day on a jig with a pork trailer.

I use my boat in Lebanon but it is still really cold in the middle of february but I manage to get out in 30 degree weather so you could probably do it. Â*

The water is usually real dingy most of the year. Â*Senkos are probably the best way to catch big ones. Â*Shallow & deep diving crankbaits work really well. Â*

Are you only fishing in Percy Priest?
You might also consider going to Old Hickory Lake because there is some great bass fishing there to. Â*I keep my boat on old hickory at my lake house and go bass fishing nearly every weekend. Â*Plus you will be closer to old hickory than you will be to Percy Priest.
Makitcnt4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-04, 06:24 PM   #8
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

If you ever get a chance and you've got some money to spare, try to make it down to northern alabama, and get a guided trip with alabamalakes. heres the site

http://www.alabamalakes.com

Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-04, 09:28 PM   #9
oldfisherman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to oldfisherman

being one who fishes the cumberland river that time of the year. i would recommened pig and jig combos. blue black 1/2oz with uncle josh pork frog. ,
oldfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-04, 09:49 PM   #10
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

I wouldn't buy the Kicktail for no other reason than I view the company as having extremely deceptive advertising and I wouldn't do business with them. Chances are, the lure will catch fish, and chances are, lures you see in tackle shops and tackle departments will work better and cost less.

Especially with you being new to bass fishing, I'd stick to a few well-known brands until you have a better idea of what your wants and needs are.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-04, 04:05 PM   #11
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

I grew up 5 min. From Priest. I now live an hour or so west of Nashville, so i fish KY lake alot more now. I have years of exp. on Priest. In feb. ur best bet is deep structure droppoffs and ledges, channels, ect.SSSSLLLOOOWWWW rolled spinnerbaits work really good. Also try a shallow running, tight wiggling crankbait or jerkbait, carolina rigged, and retrieved very slowly around the deep points and ledges. Jigging spoons work well also. I actually prefer Priest over OH, but that is JMO.

Priest is a still lake with current only if they are generating, which is really not very often. It is considerably deeper than OH. Bothn are stained to dirty.There is also a larger smallmouth population on priest than OH. They can best be caught on a fly and rind, spidergrub, or tube.

Good luck, and enjoy ur trip.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.