Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-27-04, 11:36 PM   #1
largemouth76
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to largemouth76
Default Split shotting versus Carolina Rig

Guys,

What is the difference between split shotting and carolina rigging? They look like they have the same action, just one has a swivel. Are there certain conditions when one is more effective or where you would use one rig over the other.

Kevin P
largemouth76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-04, 11:48 PM   #2
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1
Default Re: Split shotting versus Carolina Rig

carolina rigging is better because it has the glass beads that clack agains the weight when you move it, this attracts more bass. Plus witha bullet weight, it is easier to feel the movement of the lure itself because sometimes a splitsht will get caught on something down ther and you'll be able to feel it in the line.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-04, 12:02 AM   #3
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

To elaberate a little on what hP said, There are several diffences. The Carolina Rig is used with heavier weights, bigger hooks, and (Generally) bigger baits. The Split shot rig is a true finness rig. I like it(splitshot) anytime the fish are off the feed.When conditions call for a toned down, slow approach. I also like it better in clear water.

I prefer to fish the carolina rig fairly fast, makring sure to cause a ruckus with the weight on the bootom. I do just the opposit with the Splitshot rig. I fish it slower and more deliberatly. I prefer the split shot rig around ledges, points and dropoffs,up to about 15' deep, and the carolina rig Â*i will fish all the way down to 25'. If the water is clear, i will go deeper with the splitshot.

Another difference with the two is the equipment used. Splitshot rigs are best used with a long medium action spinning rod and reel, and 6-8# test(flourocarbon.Less stretch, better hookset at long distances).The best rods for this fishing have a parobolic bend, meaning the rod bends more evenly along the length. They are generally designed with a slower action.

The carolina rig is BEST with a long mh to h rod and baitcaster, with 12# or heavier line.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-04, 12:05 AM   #4
largemouth76
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to largemouth76

Thanks for the info guys
largemouth76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-04, 12:26 AM   #5
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

Also when using a carolina rig, use lead weights because the scratch marks appear on it and you'll know if the bass were hitting it instead of the lure which they wikk often do. Put the weight and bead about 18 in above the lure itself.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-04, 12:55 AM   #6
bassguy2004

I think Don Iovino made the split shot rig popular back in the 80's. He would locate fish with the aid of his depth finder and fish as bassboss said with light line, such as 4 to 6 lb line. Only he would fish in 25 to 35 feet of gin clear water with small 4 inch worms. The split shot rig would consist of 1/8 oz shot with a small finess hook.
Old 08-28-04, 08:45 AM   #7
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

Fishing a weightless plastic on a C rig allows the lure to play with the length of leader used. If you have a longer leader, say 34 inches, the lure will plummet on the fall of the cast until the weight hits, then the lure will slow fall nicely for the last 34 inches.....a wafting fall perhaps. When pulled, the lure may rise a bit and have a slow erratic action, still using the freedom of the leader used. Using a floating plastic to rise just above the weeds is also a good technique.

Splitshotting puts the lure exactly in the location you cast to and holds the lure hopefully in the strike zone. If a territorial bass is in the area, this hovering and quaking lure may provoke a strike. Split shotting rigs can also be moved a bit here and there if covering ground is your aim as well.
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-04, 04:21 PM   #8
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

When "I" Carolina rig, I use flourocarbon line, and tungsten weights. Use a brass "clacker" between the weight and the knot on the swivel. This setup along with a good graphite rod enables maximum sensitivety while working the bait. Use black or dark color swivels as not to attract attention from bass.

Bass will hold lizards longer than worms. Thats not an opinionated statement.

Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*Bassnman30
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-04, 05:35 PM   #9
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Hula your right about the lead weights but more and more we need to go to alternative materials. I just started using tungsten.
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.