Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-02-08, 07:46 PM   #1
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default US Reels Supercaster 230 SX

Considering picking up one of these reels in the near future. Has anybody had any expierence with them? I've heard a few complain about their drags not being tight enough when fully adjusted, but then again these were saltwater anglers.

How was the increase in casting distance? Thanks.
Old 10-06-08, 01:35 PM   #2
Rodman_Rob

bueller.......BUELLER?
Old 10-06-08, 09:18 PM   #3
Bender

I heard third hand that US Reels made/makes reels for Bass Pro Shops. Not sure, but when I asked around that is the only info I could find.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-08, 10:50 AM   #4
Rodman_Rob

that's interesting. Makes me wonder how similar their drags are. I haven't seen any BPS reels with a spool similar to the US Reels.
Old 10-08-08, 02:41 PM   #5
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I heard third hand that US Reels made/makes reels for Bass Pro Shops. Not sure, but when I asked around that is the only info I could find.
I checked the BPS website and noticed a few of their reels, including the Johnny Morris Signature Reel had the same Mag Spool that US reels uses. Also saw quite a few other similarities between the two reels. Only thing I didn't see was the Carbon fiber found on the US Reels 230 SX, which would explain why the BPS reels weighed a little more than the 230 SX.
Old 10-10-08, 09:24 AM   #6
chubs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have used my bps reel that are made by US reel for two years now mainly as a dock rod and have no issues.I dont use the drag much just line and pole, no finnese they do recover line fast which helps get them bass away from the junk.

And yes the drag is not smooth but workable if needed but do cast great.
chubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-08, 09:03 PM   #7
Rodman_Rob

which bps reel do you have? did you notice a big difference in casting distance?
Old 10-11-08, 09:54 AM   #8
chubs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I got the pro qualifier and yes I did actually get more distance.It outcasts my Stradic that I love.

This is a dock rod and thought that it made sense that a larger dia spool would allow line to come off the spool easier.so I spooled it with 20 lb P-Pro and the other was with the new cyrstal from Berkly. I found since the Crystal wasn't as limp it came of the spool easier that the other now 1 spool flo-carbon and 1 crystal.

I think that Bps has them on sale for 49.99$ not a bad price for how much I use it and its purpose.

Dont worry about if there is enuff drag.Ive pulled many smallies 4 to 6lbs out of brushpiles and docks with no slipage.

Last edited by chubs; 10-11-08 at 10:04 AM.
chubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-08, 12:02 PM   #9
Rodman_Rob

thanks for the info chubs. I'm leaning towards the Johnny Morris, may even just go with the Johnny Morris rod/reel combo. Of course at 49.99, I could get 2 for the price of 1 JM. I've never been one to buy high dollar equipment, but I have good reason to treat myself so I might just splurge this time. My last $50 reel broke when I caught my last 10 pounder. She shook her head enough that she managed to break the spring that keeps the rotor/bail closed. After I caught her and made a cast, whenever I reeled in, the wire would slowly open up. Took it apart, and sure enough, spring was busted on my Penn Captiva. I don't want to talk badly about Penn since it was a huge fish that put up a big fight and had previously pulled up stumps and all kinds of slop using braid, but I'd rather find a bullet proof reel........if one exisist........maybe a Van Staal http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...001000_151-1-2 only about $600-700 I'd strangle the bait monkey if he ever talked me into a purchase like that.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.